1st thing to do is make a goldcard even if you already have a working goldcard make it again mine was working for other phones but wouldnt work for this.
All credit for the goldcard guide goes to BlaY0
Here are few easy steps on how to make Goldcard without taking it out of your phone but you have to be root (VISIONary temproot is fine).
You will be doing this from command prompt:
adb shell su
adb push goldcard.img /data/local/
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 count=1 of=/data/local/sdcard_backup.img cat /data/local/goldcard.img > /dev/block/mmcblk0 sync exit
adb pull /data/local/sdcard_backup.img .
Because there are too many ppl without any knowledge spreading false findings and statements I decided to write this HOWTO.
This HOWTO is primarily ment for those who already have rooted Legends but they recently experienced problems flashing CM's or new Vodafone FroYo boot.img.
HBOOT is like a BIOS in our PCs and to cut a long story short it also contains partition table for phone's internal storage. That means it has info on where exactly certain partition starts and how big it is.
At HTC they decided to partition Legend's internal storage this way:
- misc 640 kB
- recovery 4,375 MB
- boot 2,5 MB
- system 240 MB
- cache 40 MB
- data 185 MB
I think that HTC also recognized that Legend's boot partition was kinda small so they rearanged partition table in HBOOT 1.00 a bit making boot partition bigger (now it is 3 MB) by shrinking recovery partition a little.
So now we know that some of us actually need HBOOT 1.00 in order to flash FroYo's boot.img without a problem. But how do we keep root then?
- Android SDK (primarily adb)
- working USB drivers (for adb to work)
- goldcard (in case you are trying to flash ROMs with different CID than your phone has)
- ClockWorkMod recovery (if your Legend is already rooted)
- Vodafone FroYo OTA update (actually just firmware.zip from OTA)
- Legend rooting tools (just testimage.zip)
- Hack 4 Legend v5(just misc1-2.img and flash_image)
- VISIONary r13(r14 is out also but i haven't tested it yet)
I will split instructions into two parts... for already rooted phones and phones that were already updated with Vodafone OTA thus they lost root.
Already OTA updated with HBOOT 1.00
That one is relatively easy. You could also follow Paul's guide but I like my approach better
Connect your phone to your PC. Second you have to install VISIONary r13 into your phone and do the "temproot" procedure. After a successful "temproot" you should be able to adb shell and then su. Fire up command prompt and issue:
adb shell su
adb push flash_image /data/local/ adb push misc1-2.img /data/local/
chmod 755 /data/local/flash_image
cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/misc_backup.img
/data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/misc1-2.img exit
Unzip r4-legend-root.zip and find testimage.zip in it. Put it on your phone's sdcard renaming it to LEGEIMG.zip. You can then reboot into bootloader issuing:
adb reboot bootloader
adb shell flash_image misc /sdcard/misc_backup.img exit
I. Before You Begin
1. YOU MUST BE ON VERSION 1.31 IN ORDER TO ROOT THE LEGEND, IF YOU ARE NOT YOU CAN DOWNGRADE USING THIS PROCEDURE.
2. This will erase all the data on your phone so please at least sync your contacts with Google before continuing.
3. You must have HTC Sync version 2.0.33, not a newer version. Uninstall HTC Sync and install this version instead.
1. Download the Rooting Tools
Legend Rooting Tools
2. Unzip them to the C: drive on your computer (so the file path is C:\r4-legend-root\)
3. Turn off your phone and turn it back on by holding down Back and Power until you see Fastboot come up on the screen. Push the Power button while highlighting Fastboot on the phone and Fastboot should show up in red now on the phone (if it doesn’t push Power again until it does).
4. Plug the phone in via USB cable to the computer.
5. Open the folder you extracted to the C drive and double click “step1-windows.bat” and wait for it to finish.
6. Once you see the menu on the phone come back up, navigate to BOOTLOADER and push power, then navigate to RECOVERY using the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select and the phone should boot to the ! screen.
7. Now on the computer double click the “step2-windows.bat” file and wait for it to finish. (UPDATE 12.13.10 – You MUST have HTC Sync version 2.0.33 not a newer version for step2 to work. Please uninstall HTC Sync and download and install this version instead, unplug then plug your phone back in, then rerun step2-windows.bat).
8. Now you should see a custom recovery screen, using the optical trackpad navigate to Wipe and push on the trackpad to select it. Then navigate to Wipe data/factory reset and select that.
9. Once that is done, push volume down to go back to the main menu and select Flash zip from sdcard and select the rootedupdate.zip file and wait for it to flash. All done, you have root access and can use any root required app! Enjoy!
IV. Load a Custom ROM etc (Optional)
1. Head over to our How To Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Legend procedure and continue with that to load custom ROMs and other fun stuff!
Thanks to Paul at Modaco for his awesome scripts!
If you use this guide, you do so at your own risk.