FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Premium Data "4g tax" lawsuit starting

222 posts
Thanks Meter: 14
 
By pissinguoff247, Senior Member on 3rd January 2011, 08:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've never been one to complain about our $10/mo "Premium Data" add on, but apparently there is a class action lawsuit starting regarding it. The below is the text of an email that was sent out regarding it (and the page at http://www.bursor.com/press/101203sprint4g.html)

If You Purchased a Sprint EVO 4G or EPIC 4G Cellphone, You May Be Interested in a Class Action Lawsuit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A class action lawsuit was filed alleging that Sprint customers that purchased the EVO 4G or EPIC 4G cellphones are being charged a $10 monthly “Premium Data Add-On” fee, despite the fact that these customers had already paid for unlimited data usage under their existing Sprint calling plans.

Law Offices of Scott A. Bursor, www.bursor.com, is investigating claims that these charges may be improper.

If you purchased a Sprint EVO 4G or EPIC 4G cellphone, we would like to hear from you so we can investigate whether you incurred this charge, how many customers have been affected, and whether there may be valid legal claims for a refund. Please contact us by responding to this email or by calling us directly at (646) 504-7781.

About Law Offices of Scott A. Bursor

Scott A. Bursor, has represented plaintiffs in class action lawsuits against Sprint and other wireless carriers since 2002. Many of these cases are discussed in detail at www.bursor.com.

Contact:
Scott A. Bursor
Email: [email protected]
www.bursor.com
3rd January 2011, 08:51 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
IMO, The only thing this will do is raise our rates as Sprint has additional costs arguing with this guy.


Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to iil For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iil Ad-Free
3rd January 2011, 08:58 AM |#3  
Junior Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
True it will increase costs. But I doubt my phone bill will be +$40/mo more after dealing with this guy which is what I'm paying for now due to 3 Evo's and 1 Epic. I totally support +$10/mo for 4g ... if it was optional. I have no need for 4g though and am highly annoyed at paying this tax. All I want is an Android phone with keyboard and the rest of the guys wanted big screens, we've given them hundreds of $'s this year for something we don't use or want.
3rd January 2011, 09:01 AM |#4  
diego1985's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Atlanta Ga
Thanks Meter: 28
 
More
Old news, but sprint data is cheaper than everyone else anyway.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
3rd January 2011, 09:13 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
thx for the info. calling tomorrow
3rd January 2011, 09:17 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
You are assuming the 10 dollars is for 4G. I've always thought it was for more or less having a next generational phone. Both the evo/epic encourage people to use data in ways none of the other devices do. Because of the specs, everything is faster, web browsing, multtasking, gaming - even if you are on 3G.

Sprint realized that giving an unlimited buffet to a blackberry user is much different than giving an unlimited buffet to someone using these phones.

It would be interesting if sprint ends up having to release some of this data to explain the fee. Those 1tb montly users may come in handy at that time.

Even with the fee, sprint has one of the cheapest and best data plans around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trahloc

True it will increase costs. But I doubt my phone bill will be +$40/mo more after dealing with this guy which is what I'm paying for now due to 3 Evo's and 1 Epic. I totally support +$10/mo for 4g ... if it was optional. I have no need for 4g though and am highly annoyed at paying this tax. All I want is an Android phone with keyboard and the rest of the guys wanted big screens, we've given them hundreds of $'s this year for something we don't use or want.



Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
3rd January 2011, 09:26 AM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 42
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trahloc

True it will increase costs. But I doubt my phone bill will be +$40/mo more after dealing with this guy which is what I'm paying for now due to 3 Evo's and 1 Epic. I totally support +$10/mo for 4g ... if it was optional. I have no need for 4g though and am highly annoyed at paying this tax. All I want is an Android phone with keyboard and the rest of the guys wanted big screens, we've given them hundreds of $'s this year for something we don't use or want.

That boils down to how much data you use..if they go Tiered data like Verizon they could charge you $10 a month per GB per phone...so if you don't use much data thats fine..

In the end each person will get like 5$ settlement and the lawyer will get millions in his own pocket..If only they had a limitation on how much these lawyers can get in 1 law suite >.>

Cause these law suites are a lawyers "All you can eat"...not to mention they will end up fighting it for like 10 years..
3rd January 2011, 09:31 AM |#8  
nikon120's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 340
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trahloc

True it will increase costs. But I doubt my phone bill will be +$40/mo more after dealing with this guy which is what I'm paying for now due to 3 Evo's and 1 Epic. I totally support +$10/mo for 4g ... if it was optional. I have no need for 4g though and am highly annoyed at paying this tax. All I want is an Android phone with keyboard and the rest of the guys wanted big screens, we've given them hundreds of $'s this year for something we don't use or want.

I live in New Orleans and I think the closest 4G city is 350 miles away (Houston). I too wanted an Android phone with a keyboard that wasn't abandoned by the manufacturer for support.

I think it's the principal of paying for something Sprint isn't giving me an opportunity to utilize that irritates me the most. However, I didn't want to drop Sprint (due to plan costs) and I really wanted the Epic. So I gave in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego1985

Old news, but sprint data is cheaper than everyone else anyway.

That is the kicker, they are the cheapest--even with the 4G charge.


Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
3rd January 2011, 11:04 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
They now have the samsung transform.

I still see justification for the fee even without the 4G. they are effectively lumping us into a high data tier. In reality, maybe they should just make it actually tiered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon120

I live in New Orleans and I think the closest 4G city is 350 miles away (Houston). I too wanted an Android phone with a keyboard that wasn't abandoned by the manufacturer for support.

I think it's the principal of paying for something Sprint isn't giving me an opportunity to utilize that irritates me the most. However, I didn't want to drop Sprint (due to plan costs) and I really wanted the Epic. So I gave in.



That is the kicker, they are the cheapest--even with the 4G charge.


Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App



Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
3rd January 2011, 11:29 AM |#10  
Junior Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Tiered would be annoying but livable. Make $40/mo something reasonable with X charge per GB and then past some other reasonable point make it unlimited. But a mandatory charge of $10 for a feature I neither want or use just pisses me off. At least metro pcs had the decency to say "that phone isn't allowed on that plan" when we tried snagging their android phone for the folks using that network. Sprint should do that same, you don't want folks using high end phones on the cheap plans don't allow them on, don't create a fake tax.
3rd January 2011, 12:19 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trahloc

Tiered would be annoying but livable. Make $40/mo something reasonable with X charge per GB and then past some other reasonable point make it unlimited. But a mandatory charge of $10 for a feature I neither want or use just pisses me off. At least metro pcs had the decency to say "that phone isn't allowed on that plan" when we tried snagging their android phone for the folks using that network. Sprint should do that same, you don't want folks using high end phones on the cheap plans don't allow them on, don't create a fake tax.

You shouldn't have bought the phone then. Every single person who bought this phone or the evo KNEW that there as a $10/month fee but still bought it because they just HAD to have the newest phones. If the fee is really that big of an issue then you wouldn't have bought the phone. When I bought the phone.I too the cost into consideration and decided that the$10 fee was justifiable and even with it I would still be paying less than ANY OTHER CARRIER for the same plan. People need to stop bitching just to bitch

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to Sh0wNuF For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sh0wNuF Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4g tax, lawsuit, premium data

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes