FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOWTO][RECOVERY][VIDEO] Booting Into Recovery

105 posts
Thanks Meter: 18

By BertoJG, Senior Member on 4th January 2011, 02:57 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
There seems to be a constant flow of questions about booting into recovery, so I thought I would take a video of what works for me.

In stock form this will get you to the recovery that allows you to wipe your user data. If you have an alternative recovery installed, ClockWorkMod as an example, this will get you booted into it.

UPDATED - we don't need to hold the VOL+ button.

1. Power Off the Device
2. Hold N and Power
3. After the screen has been on for about 5 seconds, release the buttons.

I hope this helps!

[YOUTUBE]fwFPH6NtyIE[/YOUTUBE]
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BertoJG For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BertoJG Ad-Free

4th January 2011, 03:21 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 97

More
Nice job, BertoJG!

Come on, show us how to completely hose your OS, and boot into recovery, please! Thanks for your work on CWM!
4th January 2011, 03:28 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimboy

Nice job, BertoJG!

Come on, show us how to completely hose your OS, and boot into recovery, please! Thanks for your work on CWM!

Thanks! People seem to find enough creative ways of hosing their OS, no need for me to demonstrate.. That is why I worked on CWM as I though it was important and could "save" people from themselves, me included..
4th January 2011, 04:40 AM |#4  
Flag Nanuet NY
Thanks Meter: 1,187

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertoJG

There seems to be a constant flow of questions about booting into recovery, so I thought I would take a video of what works for me.

In stock form this will get you to the recovery that allows you to wipe your user data. If you have an alternative recovery installed, ClockWorkMod as an example, this will get you booted into it.

1. Power Off the Device
2. Hold Vol+, N, and Power
3. After the screen has been on for 3 or 4 seconds, release the Power button
4. About 3 or 4 seconds after you release the Power button, release Vol+ and the N buttons.

I hope this helps!

[YOUTUBE]5Ag1uHImwYM[/YOUTUBE]

I'm going to try and redo my script because there is no reason why it shouldn't work but I had a hard time getting it to work I'm going to test this method.
The Following User Says Thank You to xboxexpert For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xboxexpert Ad-Free
4th January 2011, 05:18 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Please note the OP has been updated to reflect the fact we don't need to hold the VOL+ key as part of this process.
14th January 2011, 08:52 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Question Help Please: how to undo ClockWorkMod Recovery to use original stock Recovery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertoJG

Please pardon the cross post but anxious to find a reply.

I have installed the ClockWorkMod (& obviously its recovery menu).

The big question...

How to restore back to the original B&N Factory "recovery" program (i.e., undo installation of CW recovery system)?

I do not have a backup pre-CW; is there an image or RUU file somewhere, or is there a hidden backup copy of the original recovery to restore?
14th January 2011, 03:50 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
just curious this is for if you cant boot your nook currect due to a bad flash ?
others wis you could acces the recovery in the rom manager menu ?
16th January 2011, 02:22 AM |#8  

More
I can boot into the CW recovery menu and select full recovery, but the result is not a virgin Nook... it is still rooted, has such app installed, etc. And most importantly, still has CW recovery mode installed and active as the recovery menu (ie whenever you do a hard reset boot) .

This is not ideal for a warranty inquiry situation when needed.

Thanks!

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using XDA App
16th January 2011, 02:57 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 110

More
CWM doesn't let you do a full stock restore. The restore it gives you also needs to supplemented with about 10 steps or so in the terminal to get the stock recovery back.

Anyone whose rooting should be comfortable at the terminal, but we've known that CWM doesnt give a full backup for many days now and I guess its not a priority to get it fully operable, unless I'm mistaken...this is my first time back on the board in a while.
16th January 2011, 03:24 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbieBot

CWM doesn't let you do a full stock restore. The restore it gives you also needs to supplemented with about 10 steps or so in the terminal to get the stock recovery back.

Anyone whose rooting should be comfortable at the terminal, but we've known that CWM doesnt give a full backup for many days now and I guess its not a priority to get it fully operable, unless I'm mistaken...this is my first time back on the board in a while.

Thx...

I am comfortable with terminal of adb, but not sure I have URL to get virgin boot image...

This it?

... dang! No paste in this App... have to go to my PC to add URL..

It is post in a "brick" thread.

Here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=14

I just don't know the unambiguous terminology ... I hope "virgin recovery" makes sense, though nobody else has called it that.

16th January 2011, 10:13 AM |#11  

More
Thumbs up Back from Clockwork Recovery to Virgin (Factory) Recovery ... works like a charm!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoochyPuppy

Thx...

I am comfortable with terminal of adb, but not sure I have URL to get virgin boot image...

This it?

... dang! No paste in this App... have to go to my PC to add URL..

It is post in a "brick" thread.

Here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=14

I just don't know the unambiguous terminology ... I hope "virgin recovery" makes sense, though nobody else has called it that.

OK... as I hoped, the procedure listed in the thread "[Q] HELP! Maybe brick?" completely worked for me. Threads on this are scattered about, especially because some folks are playing with the boot files due to Froyo attempts, etc..

I can at least point anyone reading this to my summary success post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=15
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)