FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] 'Reserved space and content from other computers'..WHAAAT???

101 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By sergioiacobucci, Senior Member on 7th January 2011, 09:56 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

I have been searching around but cannot find an answer to this...my WP7 in Zune is coming up with 2.77GB of 'reserved space and content from other computers'....now that seems like alot especially when I only have 8GB in the first place!

Now I've read things saying...reduce the amount of space reserved for apps in Zune and I've done that its down to 1% but still it is showing this huge amount of space reserved.

I have spoken to Zune Support on Twitter and their answer was to do a factory reset and re-install all my apps one by one. Does this sound right to everyone else? Should I really have to do all that?

Lastly (and sorry about the mini-rant) I have a Zune Pass and I have also read that by resetting my phone it will make Zune recognise it as a brand new device and therefore reduce the amount of devices I can use my Zune Pass on....is this correct?

Thanks for all you help everyone

8th January 2011, 12:07 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Do you have a lot of apps etc?
8th January 2011, 07:42 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
You Silly! :P

Just go to Zune device settings (on top of the zune client, of course, you need to have your phone connected), and then go to the "Reserved space" link from the list on the left side. Then reduce it to whatever percentage of your phone's memory you want. Basically, reserved space is a certain percentage of the storage on your phone that is put aside for app installs, pdfs, docs, etc. So when you fill up your phone with pictures, music, and videos, you would have some space for ... other things.

There is no reseting required whatsoever.
8th January 2011, 03:43 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
I dont have that many apps.....and I have done what you said already (reduced to 1%) and still I have this huge amount of space taken up...its just annoying!
8th January 2011, 07:18 PM |#5  
Flag Cottbus
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I completely understand the problem of sergoiacobucci.
On my HD7 (16GB) there is also 1.36GB reserved space for "content of other computers", even though I reduced the reserved space in the settings to 0%.
If I play around a little with the percenteges the reserved space goes down from everything I have left on my device to 1.5GB at 1% and 1.36GB at 0%.
Meaning I also can't get it any lower.

Of course your problem is 4 times more annoing than 8% gone on a 16GB device, but I'd still like to know whatfore this space is used/how to use it for myself.
8th January 2011, 07:18 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapanak

You Silly! :P

Just go to Zune device settings (on top of the zune client, of course, you need to have your phone connected), and then go to the "Reserved space" link from the list on the left side. Then reduce it to whatever percentage of your phone's memory you want. Basically, reserved space is a certain percentage of the storage on your phone that is put aside for app installs, pdfs, docs, etc. So when you fill up your phone with pictures, music, and videos, you would have some space for ... other things.

There is no reseting required whatsoever.

He stated in the OP that he's already lowered this to 1%.
8th January 2011, 07:35 PM |#7  
Flag Buffalo, NY
Thanks Meter: 39

More
OP have you ever synced with more than one computers?
8th January 2011, 09:19 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Pretty sure the reserved space includes space taken up by anything outside of media. I just downloaded a game and my reserved space went from 1.22 GB to 1.32 GB. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it sounds like you just have a lot of non-media data on your phone.
9th January 2011, 04:15 AM |#9  
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 29

More
I don't know about the reserved space thing but as for Zune Pass. You can remove devices from your 4 devices in the settings. So adding a new device wont take up your 4, just remove the old one from the list

Settings > Account > Computers and Devices
9th January 2011, 06:40 AM |#10  
Flag north texas
Thanks Meter: 507

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayonical

OP have you ever synced with more than one computers?

are you suggesting this might be causing the issue? i'm syncing with 2 pc's and my available space has gone from 3.02GB to 2.12GB with only a few apps installed and 1GB of music. i'm not concerned about the "shrinking space" now, but would like to know how it's used/allocated.
9th January 2011, 04:15 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
Hi everyone and thanks for the replies.

I have only ever connected it to one computer.....i just un-installed about 3 games and it has reduced the reserved space from 2.77GB to 2GB...so maybe the games take up alot more space than I realised...

Bit of a worry though to be honest, as more and more good apps/games come out I am going to quickly run out of space!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)