I have been using the Savage kernal with Trickle-Charge since basically the first day it came out. I have been sick all day and have kept my phone on the charger (because I was sleeping and not leaving the house). I was working (I do alot of work from home) and suddenly I thought I saw a small amount of smoke above my desk. About a minute later a thin veil of very light smoke was comming out of my Evo. I really FREAKED OUT and without thinking picked it up as fast as I could and put it in my bathroom and closed the door (i've heard about exploding batteries and I wasnt going to take a chance). It was VERY hot to the touch and I had to hold it by it's sides. About two hours later I went into the bathroom and the phone was off, and I try to turn it on nothing happens. However, I think the phone is fine, the battery is probably just ruined. Could it have been because of my trickle-charge kernel?
It was a stock OEM battery.....
also, I WAS NOT OVERCLOCKING
I have read the thread Trickle-Charge thread in the Q&A section and it seems like it all may be tied together
EDIT: I threw the battery out in the snow a few hours later, popped in another stock one and the evo works! HOWEVER there are weird stains/marks on the inside of the battery cover (maybe from heat or something?). I quickly ran a NAND of some other non-sbc kernel rom and so far so good
PICTURES COMMING TOMORROW (when I am more awake lol)
Also check out this thread, it's kind of the hub to all trickle-charge damage LOL:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=890448
Notice the weird dark stain around the middle of the battery cover. The battery is in my garage and I will take pictures of it later, but it looks normal (as far as I can tell).