FORUMS

BATTERY EMITTING "SMOKE" (Trickle-Charge Kernel most likely responsible?!) **PICTURE*

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By Assange, Account currently disabled on 8th January 2011, 01:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have been using the Savage kernal with Trickle-Charge since basically the first day it came out. I have been sick all day and have kept my phone on the charger (because I was sleeping and not leaving the house). I was working (I do alot of work from home) and suddenly I thought I saw a small amount of smoke above my desk. About a minute later a thin veil of very light smoke was comming out of my Evo. I really FREAKED OUT and without thinking picked it up as fast as I could and put it in my bathroom and closed the door (i've heard about exploding batteries and I wasnt going to take a chance). It was VERY hot to the touch and I had to hold it by it's sides. About two hours later I went into the bathroom and the phone was off, and I try to turn it on nothing happens. However, I think the phone is fine, the battery is probably just ruined. Could it have been because of my trickle-charge kernel? It was a stock OEM battery.....
also, I WAS NOT OVERCLOCKING

I have read the thread Trickle-Charge thread in the Q&A section and it seems like it all may be tied together

EDIT: I threw the battery out in the snow a few hours later, popped in another stock one and the evo works! HOWEVER there are weird stains/marks on the inside of the battery cover (maybe from heat or something?). I quickly ran a NAND of some other non-sbc kernel rom and so far so good

PICTURES COMMING TOMORROW (when I am more awake lol)

Also check out this thread, it's kind of the hub to all trickle-charge damage LOL:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=890448

__________________________________________________ ________________

Notice the weird dark stain around the middle of the battery cover. The battery is in my garage and I will take pictures of it later, but it looks normal (as far as I can tell).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Assange For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Assange Ad-Free
8th January 2011, 02:00 AM |#2  
Flag Blaine, MN
Thanks Meter: 71

More
You aren't the only one.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...battery-2.html
8th January 2011, 02:04 AM |#3  
Flag Portland
Thanks Meter: 2,802

More
Yup, it was bound to happen. There is a reason why these phones are designed to charge the way they do.
8th January 2011, 02:05 AM |#4  
Flag Las Vegas, Nevada
Thanks Meter: 109

More
o ****!
to say the least
8th January 2011, 02:25 AM |#5  
Flag SF/Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 229

Donate to Me
More
You mean HTC had a reason for the way the EVO battery charged stock. Funny how that works. Never liked the idea of the trickle charge kernel's.

Sent on the go from my HTC EVO
8th January 2011, 02:36 AM |#6  
Flag New Orleans
Thanks Meter: 1,900

Donate to Me
More
Wow. Hot!

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
8th January 2011, 02:38 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Lucky it did not burn your house down or explode as you were taking it into the bathroom.

Then again I guess a loss like that is worth a 10% increase in battery.

The Following User Says Thank You to conflikt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift conflikt Ad-Free
8th January 2011, 02:53 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
You may have done this already, but make sure you remove the battery and properly dispose of it. You don't want it leaking caustic chemicals into your phone.
8th January 2011, 03:35 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I think SBC (Savage + MIUI) killed my battery too. Left it charging after work and it wont turn on with that battery. Swap it with a cheapo one and it turns on.
8th January 2011, 03:57 AM |#10  
Flag Detoit, MI
Thanks Meter: 320

More
Wow I just got my 3500mAh and flashed a sbc kernel...After hearing this I'm about to find a non sbc kernel that my phone likes...smh
8th January 2011, 03:59 AM |#11  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 4,551

More
Take it outside, it can still catch on fire. Look up a youtube video of one burning and you will see why you don't want it in your house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assange

I have been using the Savage kernal with Trickle-Charge since basically the first day it came out. I have been sick all day and have kept my phone on the charger (because I was sleeping and not leaving the house). I was working (I do alot of work from home) and suddenly I thought I saw a small amount of smoke above my desk. About a minute later a thin veil of very light smoke was comming out of my Evo. I really FREAKED OUT and without thinking picked it up as fast as I could and put it in my bathroom and closed the door (i've heard about exploding batteries and I wasnt going to take a chance). It was VERY hot to the touch and I had to hold it by it's sides. About two hours later I went into the bathroom and the phone was off, and I try to turn it on nothing happens. However, I think the phone is fine, the battery is probably just ruined. Could it have been because of my trickle-charge kernel? It was a stock OEM battery.....

I have read the thread Trickle-Charge thread in the Q&A section and it seems like it all may be tied together

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)