FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

Custom ROM For Motorola Charm. Help Please

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By saravanadel, Junior Member on 9th January 2011, 12:18 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

I am planning to create a custom roms for Charm/Flipout.
I have rooted my device and planning to create system.img (Without Motoblur, etc ) .Before that I have some questions that needs help.

1 .Can I install cynanogen rom (For Droid for any other) in my rooted charm device ?

2. I am planning to flash aman ra recovery. If i flash the recovery, will the bootloader would be overwritten . ?

3. Can I do a nandroid backup before flashing the recovery. Basically becoz If i screw up I can come back to my rom (Asian stock rom). ?

4. Is there any custom roms (2.2) for motorola charm device ? (I saw a Tmobile stock rom floating)

Thank you guys.
 
 
9th January 2011, 12:52 PM |#2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Hi,

I would be happy to help.... I have a Charm without Blur. If someone can teach me how to dump the Rom, I could help....

Matt
15th January 2011, 12:34 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteosg

Hi,

I would be happy to help.... I have a Charm without Blur. If someone can teach me how to dump the Rom, I could help....

Matt

I can only overwrite my Charm's ROM with Motorola's different versions. Haven't tried them all yet (only the T-Mobile version has booted).

I'm trying to get Freeyo to make us a custom ROM by donating a him a Charm:

http://www.cronosproject.org/forum/v...&t=664&p=23467
15th January 2011, 01:16 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Here's the original Charm T-Mobile ROM and another ROM for Charm without Blur - but it didn't boot when I flashed it to my T-Mobile Charm using RSDLite 4.5.3 - I had to flash T-Mobile again.

Haven't found a way to (nan- or clockworkmod-) backup the entire ROM.


Charm ROMs:

http://and-developers.com/sbf:mb502
17th January 2011, 12:03 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
You open the recovery menu (only good for wiping and installing a signed update.zip - not backup) by holding power and X. When M logo appears release Power.

To flash an *.fsb ROM using USB cable and RSDLite you must hold down arrow up and power - then release power.
18th January 2011, 05:06 PM |#6  
Chahk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 233
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saravanadel

1 .Can I install cynanogen rom (For Droid for any other) in my rooted charm device ?

No. Installing a custom ROM not signed by Motorola required a custom recovery image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravanadel

2. I am planning to flash aman ra recovery. If i flash the recovery, will the bootloader would be overwritten . ?

In order to install a custom Recovery you need an unlocked bootloader. Unfortunately Bootloader on Charm is still locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravanadel

3. Can I do a nandroid backup before flashing the recovery. Basically becoz If i screw up I can come back to my rom (Asian stock rom). ?

You can't run nandroid on devices with locked bootloaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravanadel

4. Is there any custom roms (2.2) for motorola charm device ? (I saw a Tmobile stock rom floating)

There are currently no custom ROMs for the Charm because its bootloader is still locked. The stock T-Mobile image is the official one that is signed and therefore can be flashed on the locked bootloader.
18th January 2011, 05:22 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
> In order to install a custom Recovery you need an unlocked bootloader.
> Unfortunately Bootloader on Charm is still locked.

Can't developers sign ROMs themselves? Cheat the bootloader by signing a custom ROM?

The recovery tool menu (hold X while booting and release it when M-logo appears) can apply update.zip and I guess those must be signed as well but perhaps the developers can do that.



> There are currently no custom ROMs for the Charm

But apart from the official T-Mobile ROM there is an official DEBLUR ROM (which didn't boot for me, though) - and there Motorolas open source repository if developers want to build a ROM themselves, I guess. I haven't found the Telus ROM but I suspect it's also on Motorolals non-listed download server but its direct link is unknown.
18th January 2011, 08:11 PM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Thanks about power on + up arrow press to bootloader... I'm trying to flash that Android without blur on my MB502... Let's see if it will work

Crossing fingers!
18th January 2011, 09:07 PM |#9  
Chahk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 233
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvfk

> In order to install a custom Recovery you need an unlocked bootloader.
> Unfortunately Bootloader on Charm is still locked.

Can't developers sign ROMs themselves? Cheat the bootloader by signing a custom ROM?

On an unlocked bootloader the signature of the ROM you are flashing must match Motorola's (which are a secret, obviously). The whole point of unlocking the bootloader is to be able to flash ROMs with different signatures.
20th January 2011, 03:05 AM |#10  
Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
Just a heads up to Charm owners.
NEVER EVER EVER flash the T-Mobile Charm ROM if you're not on T-Mobile.

Your phone will be stuck on that ROM because flashing it messes with your bootloader, and the bootloader won't be able to accept any other ROM.

If you want to de-blur use this:
https://rsddownload.motorola.com/dow...Wp3_1FF.sbf.gz
20th January 2011, 06:52 PM |#11  
Chahk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 233
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergosteur

Just a heads up to Charm owners.
NEVER EVER EVER flash the T-Mobile Charm ROM if you're not on T-Mobile.

Your phone will be stuck on that ROM because flashing it messes with your bootloader, and the bootloader won't be able to accept any other ROM.

If you want to de-blur use this:
https://rsddownload.motorola.com/dow...Wp3_1FF.sbf.gz

I have a T-Mobile branded Charm that is unlocked and I use it on AT&T's network. It's stuck on EDGE because of the different frequencies, but I don't mind.

What's this image? Judging by the file name, it looks like it's for "Basil" which appears to be Motorla's internal code name for Charm. Would it work on an unlocked T-Mobile Charm running on AT&T?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
charm, flipout, motorola, recovery

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes