FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Tut] Upgrade/Change SD Card with Ext2/3 [14/01 - Added Extra Freeware tuts]

110 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By celestialspring, Senior Member on 10th January 2011, 09:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This tutorial will show you how to Upgrade / Change to a new SD card having an EXT2/3 partition. This tutorial is for Windows platform only and assumes that you are comfortable with doing some basic functions with your phone.

Disclaimer:

I take no responsibility for any damage (if it occurs) to your phone by following the the steps mentioned below. Use it at your own risk!!! You have been warned.

Prerequisites:
1. HTC Desire - Rooted
2. Clockworkmod recovery installed on your phone (my version is 3.0.0.5?)
3. Nandroid
4. Download and Install - Freeware: Easeus Partition Manager
5. A windows PC and HTC desire data cable.

Steps:
1. Create a full nandroid back up for your current ROM from Clockworkmod Recovery screen. [No Mybackup or Titanium Backup - Nandroid is Required]

Boot phone into Clockworkmod recovery -> backup/restore -> backup (takes a few minutes) will make a complete backup of you rom, stored in clockwordmod folder of your SD-card (folder named with date and time) [Thanks Papedo]

2. Connect your HTC desire to your PC via your data cable and save the whole "Clockworkmod" folder from your SD card to a folder in your PC. Save any other files which you may want to in that folder.

3. Safely Eject the SD card.

4. Turn off your phone.

5. Remove the Old SD Card and Insert the new one.

6. Boot phone into Clockworkmod recovery.

7. Now select the option - "Partitions Menu"

8. Select option - "mount USB storage"

9. Open Easeus Partition Manager.

10. Create two partitions on the SD *exactly* in this sequence (assuming you have a 16gb card - windows will show 14.98gb free):

a. Fat32 partition - Primary - 14gb

Method: Right click unallocated space on your SD card and select "Create" -

A create partition dialog will pop up - use the following values:
Create As: Primary
File System: Fat32
Partition Size: 13980

Hit: OK

b. Ext2/3 partition - Primary - 1 gb

Method: Right click unallocated space on your SD card and select "Create" -

A "Create Partition" dialog will pop up - use the following values:
Create As: Primary
File System: Ext2 or 3
Partition Size: 1000

Hit: OK

11. Your SD card partitions should look like this (see DISK 3):

11. Hit Apply button which will appear on the left hand side.

11. Go to Windows Explorer to ensure that you can see and access the newly created FAT32 partition.

12. Once you are satisfied with the FAT32 partition go and copy paste all the files and folders from the backup of your OLD SD Card made on your PC to the new SD Card.

13. Once this process if finished reboot the phone into recovery.

14. Go to Nandroid - Select Restore. Choose the Backup you want to restore.

15. Nandroid will take sometime to check MD5 sum of the recovery image, be patient. If everything is OK, Nandroid will start restoring the image and will start copying files.

16. Once finished it will display "Restore Complete". Press the back button now, select "Reboot System Now".

Go Crazy!

Now you have a full functional new SD card with EXT 2 / 3 partition.

[Credits if you post this elsewhere]

CS

Similar tutorials:

Using other freeware:

MiniTool Partition Wizard - Credits: Kneros
Parted Magic - Credits: Svennetjee
The Following User Says Thank You to celestialspring For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift celestialspring Ad-Free
10th January 2011, 10:01 AM |#2  
Flag Norway
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Good work, this will surely help some people.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App
10th January 2011, 10:21 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ndik

Good work, this will surely help some people.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

Thanks. Have a good day.
11th January 2011, 08:20 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi celestialspring,
Nice explaining with details.. I have problem before kicking off.
i used unrevoked to root, have rom manager installed , clock work mod 2.5.0.7 i am using the latest leedroid rom.
How do i obtain a Nandroid back up to backup as u have required apart from titnanium and backup pro? I don't know how to get nandroid back up from. please advice. thanks a million.
11th January 2011, 10:35 AM |#5  
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Boot phone into Clockworkmod recovery -> backup/restore -> backup (takes a few minutes)
will make a complete backup of you rom, stored in clockwordmod folder of your SD-card (folder named with date and time)
The Following User Says Thank You to papedo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift papedo Ad-Free
11th January 2011, 02:10 PM |#6  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 38

More
I know that this is a Windows-only tutorial, and thanks for sharing.
However, when dealing with Android and its (advanced) aspects is always a good thing to have a Linux OS handy: in this case, having native access to the sdcard's ext partition, one can simply copy/paste its contents making the whole process a matter of seconds. Moreover, the gparted utility that ships with most Linux distributions can play the Easeus Partition Manager's role perfectly.
11th January 2011, 02:37 PM |#7  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 19,164

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by @ngel

I know that this is a Windows-only tutorial, and thanks for sharing.
However, when dealing with Android and its (advanced) aspects is always a good thing to have a Linux OS handy: in this case, having native access to the sdcard's ext partition, one can simply copy/paste its contents making the whole process a matter of seconds. Moreover, the gparted utility that ships with most Linux distributions can play the Easeus Partition Manager's role perfectly.

Personally, I wouldn't want to copy and paste the data within an ext partition. nandroid will do a better job of that i feel,

However, Gparted would definitely be my weapon of choice. In my professional experience, windows based partition managers have never been great at handling alien file systems
11th January 2011, 03:42 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
About the pratition softwares please also add information about GParted, Partition Wizard, etc.
Those are similar freewares just like the one posted.
11th January 2011, 03:49 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
EASEUS Partition Manager didn't do the trick for me, but Parted Magic did.

Wrote another tutorial myself: http://www.everythinghtcdesire.com/t...or-app-storage
11th January 2011, 11:23 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svennetjee

EASEUS Partition Manager didn't do the trick for me, but Parted Magic did.

Wrote another tutorial myself: http://www.everythinghtcdesire.com/t...or-app-storage

Easeus will work but you need to create the partitions exactly as mentioned in the tutorial. If you create the EXT3 partition before the FAT32 partition it won't work. I learnt it by trial and error :P

Perhaps the biggest advantage of using Easues is that one does not need to burn a CD and then boot from it. I hate booting off my current work envoirnment just to partition an sd card.

This was the quickest and easiest way I found which worked for me. People who are more tech savvy can use Gparted or whatever.
11th January 2011, 11:24 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaa

About the pratition softwares please also add information about GParted, Partition Wizard, etc.
Those are similar freewares just like the one posted.

See reply above.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
desire, ext3, sdcard, tut, upgrade

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)