FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Replacing Digitizer] Is 2mm 3M double-sided tape a must?

177 posts
Thanks Meter: 11

By Hahutzy, Senior Member on 11th January 2011, 04:28 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have in front of me a perfectly fine HTC HD2, but the digitizer is cracked and not responding.

I ordered a TMOUS HD2 digitizer replacement, and am waiting for my T5 torx screw to come.

Beside these things, I heard that I'll also need 2mm 3M double-sided tape.

Is it possible to reuse the ones that are currently holding the cracked digitizer?

Or should I start hunting for some of those tape?

11th January 2011, 01:53 PM |#2  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I used 4 drops of superglue when I replaced mine...
17th January 2011, 06:13 AM |#3  
New York
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I used crazy glue but it left white residue. I cracked digitizer again so this time I will use 2mm tape, not crazy glue. I also used regular 3M tapes 1/2" wide but I had to trim it. It's a pain in the ass but doable. Now, I will buy 2mm tape instead.
17th January 2011, 06:08 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 202

More
Has someone a link?

Today i reopened my phone because using the old pieces of tape wasnt holding enough, so the screen was a bit over the housing.

Now i used thin tape (noname) and had to cut it myself, what really is a pain in the ass. THe problem is, that with cutting and then fingering this togehter my screen not is very stable but still to high.

If i order tape now i want to buy the right one!!!

Has someone a link or article number? Dont want to buy just a 3m 2mm tape that is to thik or something...

So 1mm or 2mm?
Is there a difference in hight?
17th January 2011, 06:58 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
I got this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/3M-2mm-ADHESIVE-S...item255d9bc793
17th January 2011, 07:37 PM |#6  

More
Thank you!

What did you use it for? Only the display and touchscreen or did you glue the display to the housing and the part unter the buttons with this too?

After opening it twice i think i need:
-Display with touchscreen
-Display in housing
-The parts of the touchscreen that stands over the display ( buttons and lightsensor) , to the housing..

Do you know a more exactly name for the Tape?
Someone wort about LSE300 but this is only the category name ;D

But anyways thank you for the seller, the tape was good for yoU?
18th January 2011, 07:32 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 71

More
How did you guys remove/plan to remove the glass from the LCD?

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App
18th January 2011, 08:09 PM |#8  

More
Just warm it and with a razor(razer? you know the sharp flat knives ;D) you cut along the edges.

Just make sure you move the razor parallel between the touchscreen and display, so you dont break or scratch the screen.

For heating up, you can take a hair dryer or put it in the oven for 5-10min. I think 50°C(a bit longer to heat all trough) . More temperature shouldnt be a problem, sun on black surfaces often gets ~80°C but dont risk it, and you need to touch it to remove the screen
------

For the soldering version a little hint:

The cable on the new touchscreen can be soldered from top and downside.
You dont need to solder on top the little overhang, just put a bit soldering tin between, then cable on top and let the heat go trough the cable to heat the tin on the underside=> more space and all the way conected.

There is a little round mark to alighn the new cable. Use this, or the chip on the cable will not fit unter the hole in the housing ;D

If its hard to solder just put a bit soldering tin on the display first. Then put the cable above and press the soldering iron on top. The soldering tin you put between will connect them perfectly. Use a tool to press the cable on the display untill the soldering tin is hard.

The secret of basic soldering skills is not to move after you take away the soldering iron until the tin is hard, every movement in these seconds makes the soldering spot weak or its not connected right.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
18th January 2011, 09:18 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 71

More
Wow that's quite interesting. I broke another hd2 a while ago, and its just laying around. Screen works well, I just hated the cracks. I may try this out...

Edit : if someone could make a video tutorial, that would be sweet. The one online isn't so great

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App
18th January 2011, 10:00 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
I haven't used it yet, because I bought it last week and they're still shipping it to me.

I'm going to be using it to replace the tape between the old digitizer and the LCD.

I thought the display-to-housing tape was padded, wasn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dertester123

Thank you!

What did you use it for? Only the display and touchscreen or did you glue the display to the housing and the part unter the buttons with this too?

After opening it twice i think i need:
-Display with touchscreen
-Display in housing
-The parts of the touchscreen that stands over the display ( buttons and lightsensor) , to the housing..

Do you know a more exactly name for the Tape?
Someone wort about LSE300 but this is only the category name ;D

But anyways thank you for the seller, the tape was good for yoU?

19th January 2011, 12:08 AM |#11  

More
Yes, there are many kinds of different tapes. Thin, padded, metalic and some seemed to be more like glue dots.

But i dont think its so important do rebuild this exactly

Starting from 5:00 he seperates Display and Touchscreen ;D

But the guy soldered from top, you can actually see it at 7:40, i think its better to solder between display and cable, as i tried to describe above..
[YOUTUBE]TdihThJFyz4[/YOUTUBE]

That lucky guy was able to reuse the whole tape as it was, but im not sure if it is still so good, even if it is one piece.

When my tape comes, i will eventually make a little screen replacement video ;D
But my camera is not very good at close-ups, but i try ;D
The Following User Says Thank You to dertester123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dertester123 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)