FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

UrukDroid (Android) - developers ONLY thread

1,461 posts
Thanks Meter: 509

By $aur0n, Senior Member on 11th January 2011, 11:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread

This thread is created for developers and developing of UrukDroid ONLY.
UrukDroid is alternative Android distribution, based on original Archos OS for Archos GEN8 tablets.

Please do not write here questions about installing UrukDroid on tablet - you can do it in default post - here.

All post violating above rule will be deleted.

This thread is created for:
  • manage people and dividing work
  • plan new releases
  • plan new features
  • help between developers
  • gain knowledge, materials
  • feature proposals by users

Things we are currently working on:
  • Sauron: memory I/O tuning
  • cheefy: backup script
  • Sauron: upgrade/install scripts
  • chulri: dvb support

What informations are we looking for:
  • How to prevent Android from going sleep on system level?
  • Format of bootlogo and initlogo.rle on Gen8 (we are aware of rgb2565 converter etc., but with no luck on Archos yet - I've tried different bit settings 4/8/16/24 and resolutions 200x480, 800x480 - Sauron)

Repository for binary and source releases is currently available here.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to $aur0n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift $aur0n Ad-Free
11th January 2011, 11:55 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Links to other materials that can be usefull in future
Things to do
  • check ADB over USB problem - and fix
  • give a better look at mounting disk from Archos over USB (does not work)
  • prepare and maintain FAQ
  • check how we can use QUI/QUID (can be checked rescue initramfs) to write messages on boot time
  • dalvik cheap/stack tuning - memory tuning
  • backport And. 2.3/3.0 features

Proposed new features by users
11th January 2011, 11:58 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
For future use...
For future use...
11th January 2011, 03:00 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Developers
Hey, I would like to help, I have an A70, PM back with something I could do, Im not an android expert but I have some linux and development knowledge, and I'm willing to learn and help as muchs as I can.

Thanks!
11th January 2011, 03:24 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Well after reading up on some more Motorola ROMs it seems they modified the dalvik heap size.

Did some quick googling on that, turns out other ROMs do it too, perhaps we could play around with it as well.

The maximum events per second for the windowmanager should help with smoother scrolling ~ also something the motorola ROMs adopted.

Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=815595
as posted on the original Uruk thread

Perhaps the camera can be hacked up a bit as well ~ although I haven't looked into any of this as I'm to busy at the moment !

As for extra tools, tcpdump and vim instead of vi might be helpful for some.

Removing the Telephony.apk and Phone.apk by default in Uruk would be an easy performance addition, Nook users can vouch for an increase in battery life. People have also started mentioning the lack of a

I've had questions on IPv6 support for Google Goggles too although I don't know if this is worth it.

Also could you post the exact location on those bootlogo files so more people can look into it^^.

I won't be as active now as I have exams coming up though I'll do whatever I can to help.
11th January 2011, 03:40 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Hi Guys,
I'm not a developer by any means and am just learning Linux, and about the Android frameworks. I'll gladly help in any way possible, but for now I can only research and post what I find for you to look at. That being said, here are a few sources for changing heap sizes in the build.prop.

General Dalvik heap discussion - http://groups.google.com/group/andro...b0dcca94?pli=1

More details from Cyanogen (I found this most helpful and is probably most relevant to what you guys are doing) - http://ryanolson.wordpress.com/2010/...-rom-cyanogen/

Increasing helps window transitions but takes away RAM - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...heap-size.html
11th January 2011, 03:40 PM |#7  
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 40

More
3G USB dongles support
I'm planing to start trying to make Huawei 3G dongles work in a next couple of days. Have some expirience with them on linux, along with some expirience in administering linux machines. I'll post results as soon I have some.
The Following User Says Thank You to nenadr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nenadr Ad-Free
11th January 2011, 05:35 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
xnatex21 or escoriaa - anyone of You (or both ) is willing to create and maintain FAQ (if it's not you could like - no problem - it should be fun ).

Tzbob - how can we merge changes of your OC version kernel? I can probably do it if you don't have time - but you should provide me source + .config file.

I don't get "Also could you post the exact location on those bootlogo files so more people can look into it^^." - you mean source of the image I use, or source of materials how to create Android Logo?

Apps: I'll add tcpdump and vim - no problem, and remove telephony stuff (I wonder why Archos put them anyway). I've added in 0.4 Google Apps (market etc.).

Speed: I'm now playing not with memory managers, IO managers and task managers (kernel stuff).
I do not like especially Java (it's like appendix (Vermiform appendix) to me - everyone have it, but why... ) - so as I wrote in my thread - someone should check current dalvik settings and try to change them (It's mostly in /init.rc script - so changing should be easy).

DVB-T: that's what I looked, it's quite enough to compile in modules (what I've already done) but requires some settings, I'll probably try to play with it when my USB OTG cable will arrive - but if someone is willing play with it earlier

And one more thing - is there any UI/GFX tool on Android that allows to build configuration interface (reads some GUI/menu definitions, and sets some text file/database switches) - we can do it on browser, but I'm not sure if it's best way.

I wanted also to ask you - does the installation procedure should be easier - or it's easy enough? I can make it a bit simpler, and try to work on some scripting. The easiest way would be to make images (I already have them) - that can be installed on SD card in one step, but it would make installation to be a fresh Archos (no copied app from /data) - how to you think?
11th January 2011, 08:12 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
As I posted in the original thread, i should be able to help with the backup script, unfortunately just on a bash basis.

The configuration UI could be integrated in the standard config menu of android as they do in the cm mod. as mentioned above i don't speak any java but i can find the apk which is responsible.

The copying of the data to data.new could be automated after first boot by putting a startup script, which does that and erases itself after finishing. how do you think about that?

How about integrating the smartass governor of nadlabak? i might ask him about changes to make and chance to get it running.

I think i will try to integrate some gingerbread features like keyboard,themes and if possible launcher to my urukdroid. but it is up to you if you want to integrate that generally... (edit keyboard works already fine)

i'm very willing to help here!
as mentioned i'm kind of a linux pro digging into android for some weeks now
12th January 2011, 03:10 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'd like to help where possible
12th January 2011, 09:07 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
I've listed in second post, things that need to be addressed by someone. So feel free to choose one (or more ).

cheefy: do you have any idea how to do this backups? I know it can be done by tar - but it seams a bit lame. It will allow to get back in time - but perhaps we can use some linux tools or even some rsync stuff to do it incrementally.

nenadr: those 3d dongles will require some some ppp stuff - this what's inside Android already is enought, or I should add some wvdial or something (I guess I can add some serial USB modems to - be default in kernel).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, archos, gen8, urukdroid

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)