FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[RECOVERY] 3e Recovery Modded w/ No Verification

4,813 posts
Thanks Meter: 8,320

By existz, Inactive Recognized Developer on 11th January 2011, 06:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
NOTE
This is took from untermensch's thread in the Vibrant forum so I take no credit for this (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833423)

I have noticed some of you are having issues after installing a new kernel or rom, when you boot into recovery you now have 3e, which does not allow unsigned zips to be flashed. With this version of 3e it has no-verification check, now allowing you to flash whatever you want.

This zip has
1) 3e recovery modified to disable signature checking
2) disables the forced wipe after installing any update.

Instructions
1)Download and extract the file below
2)Use a terminal emulator or ADB shell and type.. (or you can use Root Explorer or SGSTools to mount system RW)
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl9 /system
3)Use a file manager like Root Explorer and copy the recovery file to /system/bin and replace the one there
4)Now, reboot and you should have a modded 3e recovery with no signature verification

You can either leave the modded 3e recovery or you can now flash CWM via Rom Manager

**Just like anything else, I am not responsible if this bricks your phone, this is fairly simple, follow the guide...Do at your own risk**
Attached Files
File Type: zip 3e_recovery_no_sig_check.zip - [Click for QR Code] (198.1 KB, 54343 views)
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to existz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift existz Ad-Free

11th January 2011, 07:05 PM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag SLC
Thanks Meter: 8,976

Donate to Me
More
Old news, we have CWM now in pretty much everything.

Also you cannot just replace the recovery file... you have to replace the images in sbin or in the zImage its self, otherwise you get errors and cannot do anything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to designgears For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift designgears Ad-Free
11th January 2011, 07:11 PM |#3  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 8,320

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by designgears

Old news, we have CWM now in pretty much everything.

Also you cannot just replace the recovery file... you have to replace the images in sbin or in the zImage its self, otherwise you get errors and cannot do anything.

I done the exact method above and works fine for me...

Place extracted recovery file in /system/bin/ , reboot and flash cwm via rom manager, works perfectly fine...the reason I posted was, if you read Hardcores thread, and seen this in other threads, that after flashing his kernel, when they goto recovery they now have 3e (depending on which method when entering recovery)..alot of people have done it the way I posted with no issues...im not trying to argue with you, you by far know more then me, just posting what worked for me and some others
The Following User Says Thank You to existz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift existz Ad-Free
11th January 2011, 07:17 PM |#4  
Flag Moncton, NB
Thanks Meter: 3

More
sounds like a good idea for the people that updated to Rogers froyo that has the 3e recovery. You could just flash a new kernel, but this is definately a good alternative.

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to raymar23 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raymar23 Ad-Free
11th January 2011, 07:51 PM |#5  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag SLC
Thanks Meter: 8,976

Donate to Me
More
If you look at Darkyy's rom he has a script that does this.
The Following User Says Thank You to designgears For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift designgears Ad-Free
11th January 2011, 08:20 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Thanks, this works flawlessly on a Rogers Froyo Stock. Now I have CWM working and good to go. The only thing left would be to apply some kind of lagfix.
11th January 2011, 09:48 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Tested and works with Rogers 2.2 Rom. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to skorchir For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift skorchir Ad-Free
12th January 2011, 10:32 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorchir

Tested and works with Rogers 2.2 Rom. Thanks

I also have.
Thanks
14th January 2011, 01:03 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Works great on Rogers 2.2. Thanks
15th January 2011, 03:49 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Unhappy
I tested it on Galaxy S i9000m bell and it work A+
i do not have to flash cf-boot to make unsigned zip to be installed

thanks a lot for your hard work.

only thing is botton function become different then original 3e

but its working A+
16th January 2011, 02:20 AM |#11  
Flag Huntington, WV
Thanks Meter: 39

More
I'm a little confused on how the Recovery works..... I have a I897 that I flashed Cognition 2.3b8 to with ROM Manager/CWM and when I chose "reboot into recovery" from ROM Manager from inside Cognition, it worked fine after reloading packages once. A few days ago, I flashed Perception 10.1 with the firebird kernel. After noticing the battery didn't last as long as it used to with Cognition, I did some research and found the SpeedMod kernel K12L. Before I flashed it, I did a backup from ROM Manager which rebooted into CWM with no problems and did the backup with no problem. I have since flashed K12M and K12N. Now I thought I would give Cog 3.0 a shot and wanted to back up my current config with Perception 10.1/SpeedMod K12N. From ROM Manager, I chose to backup, named my backup and the phone rebooted into 3e Recovery and gave the errors you listed above but I don't understand why? Is it because of the I9000 kernel which doesn't make sense since Firebird is a I9000 kernel. Was it from flashing SpeedMod? Also noticed, that only the volume up/down buttons worked, not the power button which is also the select key. Only way out was to 3 button reboot (or pull the battery) which rebooted into CWM and then initiated the ROM Manager backup.

Any ideas why? Also, if I was to ODIN flash JH6 back to the phone, would that restore the Stock 2e Recovery? Sorry for the long post, but I'm still trying to learn this stuff and think you guys are awesome. The captivate would be a crappy phone if it wasn't for you all.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)