FORUMS

touchscreen unresponsive when phone is on flat surface

282 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By Elegy, Senior Member on 12th January 2011, 07:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
sometimes my phones touchscreen becomes unresponsive when its flat on its back on a table for example. I unlock the screen with the trackpad or power button so that the screen comes on. Then when i try to slide the lockscreen it doesnt do anything. When i begin sliding the bar from the total edge of the screen it sometimes works.
Usually i just have to pick up the phone to get the touchscreen working again. actually, when i even lift up the phone the slightest bit, it works again.

Weird right?
anyone else experiences this issue ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Elegy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Elegy Ad-Free
12th January 2011, 07:59 PM |#2  
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 54

More
I assumed it was designed to work like this. Makes me move my phone rather than just slide to snooze the alarm then go back to sleep.
12th January 2011, 08:18 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Same here. I think it has to do with the capacative toucscreen.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
12th January 2011, 08:28 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileykat

I assumed it was designed to work like this. Makes me move my phone rather than just slide to snooze the alarm then go back to sleep.

you're saying you move your phone to snooze the alarm? didnt know it could do that, gonna try that out tomorrow morning

forgot to mention the issue is not ROM specific. I have witnessed it on virtuous, CM, MIUI, stock
12th January 2011, 08:29 PM |#5  
Flag Plano, TX
Thanks Meter: 15

Donate to Me
More
Ive had this problem as well. Slightly annoying!
12th January 2011, 09:15 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I don't think its a design issue..

you don't have to lift your phone to get the screen to respond.
notice that it is enough just to touch the body of the phone to make the screen responsive again..

for me its very annoying, especially not being able to snooze the alarm in the morning
12th January 2011, 09:30 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Let me point out that this happens with my G1 also so its not just the G2.
12th January 2011, 09:46 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 156

More
Yeah, there are a few discussions about this on the forums already. It's most likely a capacitance issue. When your phone is just sitting on a table and you touch the display, you may not create enough capacitance with the touchscreen for it to register as a touch (as opposed to resistive touchscreens which needed only physical contact but were less accurate as a result). Touching the body of the phone basically creates a common ground or voltage reference point for the phone, allowing your finger to create the needed amount of capacitance (in technical terms, no longer a floating ground). Whenever I touch the screen while the phone is lying on a table, I just always make sure to rest either my thumb or ring finger on one of the edges.

A lot of factors will also come into play---whether or not your phone is in a case, type of material the phone is resting on, the level of humidity in the air, even potentially the type of shoes you are wearing. This is why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianmcquinn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ianmcquinn Ad-Free
12th January 2011, 10:19 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmcquinn

(...) Touching the body of the phone basically creates a common ground or voltage reference point for the phone, allowing your finger to create the needed amount of capacitance (in technical terms, no longer a floating ground). (...)

yes! I just figured this out myself. merely touching the body of the phone makes the screen respond to my fingers.

well in that case its not really a big problem. from now on i just touch teh body with my middle finger while sliding with my index finger =D
12th January 2011, 11:32 PM |#10  
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by liory

notice that it is enough just to touch the body of the phone to make the screen responsive again..

for me its very annoying, especially not being able to snooze the alarm in the morning

Will give this a go tomorrow, I hope it doesn't work!!!.... I'm gonna be forever snoozing with 2 fingers now!!!
14th January 2011, 09:54 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
This seems to be temperature related (and it doesn't happen on a mytouch 3g)

I live in Minnesota and I deliver pizza. When I would need to call a customer to get into an apartment building, I would set the phone on top of the pizza bag and dial with one hand.
When I first got my G2 (early november) I had no problems doing this, then one day it wouldn't respond at all to touch. I still had my old mytouch 3g with me because the old number wasn't ported yet, and I was able to use that to make the call. It wasn't until later that I realized that the problem was caused by the cold and that I needed to touch the metal part to make it work, so I thought that the touchscreen on my 2 week old G2 had just died.
At room temperature the touch screen always works (I can silence the alarm while it's sitting on the table), but temperatures below 50F cause problems
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)