FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[REF] Tutorial: How to partition sd card to run wp7 and android from same sd card

109 posts
Thanks Meter: 87

By darrengladysz, Senior Member on 14th January 2011, 09:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th August 2013, 09:50 AM |#641  
Flag Diu
Thanks Meter: 28

More
HD2 Rocks

19th August 2013, 05:26 PM |#642  
Flag Calcutta
Thanks Meter: 240

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuSiD7

Ok guys, some questions from me too.

I have already installed WP7 on my phone on a 16gb SD card.
I recently bought a Sandisk 32gb card for the needs of partitioning for a dual boot of WP and Android (and because i needed a faster card).

The question follows:
Will I be able to restore my Windows installation on the 32gb card (meaning apps, photos, sms, settings etc.). I have already backed it up with WPBackup. Or will I probably have to set up my Windows installation as new? And even if it is so, what will happen if I re-insert my 16gb card in the phone? Will it maintain my existing WP installation as it is now or will it lose it all (since it will reformat the other card to use). Maybe Windows won't "like" this? Can you swap two SD cards with the same NAND Windows installation?
Will the two card method keep it all if done correctly

I hope my questions are clear. Thank you in advance for any answers. And keep up the good work. You make our HD2's truly legendary!

This is to narrate my experience while partitioning my card for dual booting (WP 7.8 from NAND & Android from SD/Magldr).

I read many threads and ultimately followed the single card partitioning from here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...57&postcount=1) .

What happened finally is – I had two partitions in 32 GB class 4 Sandisk card. The first partition “Fat32-Primary” (14+Gb) of slightly less than the second partition of “Other-Logical”(almost 15Gb). There was no free / blank/ unformatted space left in the card. The WP 7.8 booted well and so did Android. But after booting into Android the card was not mounted. So I was not able to download anything in Android and was always refused with dialogues like “No SD card” blah blah blah. So I reverted to two card solution – using a 16 gb for my wp 7.8 and then replacing it with the 32 gb card before Magldr booting to Android. But I got bored and tried to solve the issue by searching here and there. I was helped by this (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...33&postcount=2) post. Thanked the poster Jerome.Ramos (http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=2585223 ) & ChitownWingMan (http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=567392 ) who linked me to this post. The only real difference lies in point no 24 which says both the partitions should be “Primary” in contrary to me using Windows partition as “Logical”. I was lethargic to try again as resetting WP meant again installing everything in WP from scratch which is a tedious and boring job. So I tried to repartition my 32 GB card used till now for “Android” without resetting WP 7.8 and I was successful. What I did is very simple in “EASEUS Partition manager” and described as under serially.

1. Put my HD2 off from WP 7.8. Took out my WP sd card (16Gb) “as it is” and my Android SD card 32 Gb) and connected both simultaneously in my Laptop.
2. Deleted all partitions in 32 Gb card keeping 16 gb card as it is
3. Copied 200mb partition from 16 Gb card and copied in 32 Gb card.
4. Copied the Windows partition of 14.84 Gb from 16 gb card to 32 gb card. It was copied as “primary-Other”.
5. Both the partitions were side by side leaving a big gap of 15+ gb empty in the end of the card.
6. Clicked “Apply”. System took a long long time to complete the process. Almost 3.5 hours. The final card was a :

200mb “Fat16-Primary” First partition
14.84 Gb “Other-Primary” Second Partition
15 Gb unallocated space left as third sector.

7. Put the 32 gb of step 6 in HD2 and booted WP 7.8 and it successfully booted with all my apps and settings undisturbed.
8. Now the problem was to make another partition of “Fat32 – primary” at the beginning of the card shifting “Other-Primary “ partition to second place.
9. I again put 32 gb card in Laptop and copied second “Other-Primary” partition of 14.84 gb in the unallocated portion and clicked “Apply”
10. It took a long time to (1.50 hour) complete. At this stage there were four sectors in the card.

First partition – 200mb – Fat 16/Primary
Second partition – 14.84gb Other-Primary
Third partition – 14.84 gb Other / primary (Copy of second partition)
Fourth sector – Unallocated remaining partition in the last of 500mb (approx) which could not be utilised.

11. Deleted second partition of 14.84 gb of Other / primary and clicked apply.
12. Fitted to HD2 and successfully booted with everything intact.
13. Took out card. Resized 200 mb first partition to around 14.70 Gb (lesser than WP partition of 14.84 gb). Formatted in Fat 32 and clicked apply. Now the final shape of the card was as under:

First partition of 14.70Gb Fat32-Primary for Androd.
Second unused sector of around 300 mb which I was forced to keep in order to keep Android partition less than WP.
Third partition – 14.84 gb Other / primary (Copy of second partition made in step 10)
Fourth sector – Unallocated remaining partition in the last unutilized of remaing 500mb (approx)
The third and fourth partitions were same as that in step 10 and were untouched.

14. Copied Android ROM files in FAT (First partition) by Win Explorer. Finally put the card in HD2 and WP 7.8 booted with all my goodies. Powered off and again booted to Android through Magldr “Services” menu and Android booted with properly mounted SD cards.
I don’t know if I am able to put my explanations in an easy way. Nevertheless the process is very simple and is a not a problem if started with confidence. There may be similar posts here and there but I just narrated my experience.
Lastly don’t blame me for any losses of your device / cards you might make while trying this and I am no dev and I won’t be able to help you in any complicated problems. I am only an avid fan of XDA and its ever-supporting members and trying to put my experience if it is of help to anybody.
Thanks to all. Happy HD2ing………
20th August 2013, 06:04 AM |#643  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I followed this tute and it works great... except for data on T-Mob. The SIM/data works in the persons other phone but not in the HD2 using WP7.8 or Android. Any ideas? She loves the phone but would like to be able to use her data without popping the SIM out every time.
7th September 2013, 02:42 PM |#644  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Smile
It was hard for me to find best way to dual boot WP7 and Android 4.3 but,

This works for me, and it,s a clear explanation:
see here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0905&nocache=1

With NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10.2 V3.0 and HD2 Pdaimatejam Rom Wp7.8 OS.7.10.8862.144 v8.9
3rd August 2014, 06:17 AM |#645  
Flag Salzburg
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Unhappy I'm stuck: 4EXT recovery does not work for me
Sorry to be such a late bird, but I'd like to have WP7.8 + NativeSD Android 4.x dual boot on my HD2.
So I did install MAGLDR 1.13 and flashed Dynamics_HD2O_HD2_2_21_Western, which works like a charm.
After that I followed the instructions of http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1880905, but this is where my issue is.
I have set up my SD card as outlined and put the 4EXT recovery (tried all three flavours) on the FAT32 partition along with EvoHd2v10final-fixedx.zip.
Then selected the recovery folder as AD Boot Dir in MAGLDR and tried to boot AD on SD.
After that I get 123456 GO GO GO but after a while first the green htc screen appears, stays for a while and then the phone reboots into MAGLDR.

What can I do to do a NativeSD setup?
Do I have to do a MAGLDR Repartition or a MAGLDR Update Recovery with HD2 Toolkit 4.3? With what parameters?

I have tried several Task28, Repartition parameters, ...
I tried with and without "Use Last 24MB" - some say it's required, some say it may cause bricking ...

I'm a bit lost. Please help!

Thanks

ScruffR

BTW: Would there be a way to copy the SD-ROM to the EXT4 partition manually (e.g. on a Linux box)?

--------

[SOLVED]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman1376

Dear friend ... why don't you try this guid :

Put All The Items Included in This File In It
Hitman1376[/CENTER]

@hitman1376:
Thank you for this reply!

Obviously the 4EXT Recovery versions I tried were faulty. All three of them didn't work with my setup, but just to save some hassle, I tried your 4EXT Recovery_1.rar on my pre-partitioned SD before going through with the whole procedure you pointed out - and it worked immediately.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to ScruffR For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ScruffR Ad-Free
5th August 2014, 07:17 PM |#646  
Flag zanjan
Thanks Meter: 384

More
Thumbs up Congrats Man ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruffR

@hitman1376:

Obviously the 4EXT Recovery versions I tried were faulty. All three of them didn't work with my setup, but just to save some hassle, I tried your 4EXT Recovery_1.rar on my pre-partitioned SD before going through with the whole procedure you pointed out - and it worked immediately.

Thanks

Your welcome my friend ... It was my duty .. Glad that I could help ... good luck

With best Wishes
Hitman1376
24th August 2014, 12:52 PM |#647  
Flag ★ATLANTA★
Thanks Meter: 472

More
Which Powerful (Most fully working) android rom's are known to be working? I'm looking for a list or simply rom suggestions....

How bout these 2: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1793180 or http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1955945?
7th January 2016, 07:19 PM |#648  
Maybe Im to stupid, maybe not, but I cannot make WP7.8 + NativeSD Android dualboot.
I tried as first post said - 1 SD, 32FB.

First time:
  1. Put it in Wp7.8
  2. Reset
  3. Power off and set MAGLDR to boot at start
  4. Boot WP7.8 and reset it again
  5. Connected SD to pc
  6. Deleted Unformatted
  7. Using MiniTools i Created 2 Ext4 partitions (1.5GB + 17GB)
  8. Than using EASEUS I created Unformatted (10GB)
  9. Put it to HD2
  10. It booted fine with 1 Unformatted partition...

Anyone could gove me any advice? Maybe im doing it to fast?
As there are 2 partitions before it, Unformatted shouldn't move to the left.

I know about using 2 cards for Unformatted smaller than half, but when Im copying (tried both EASUS and MiniTool) they give me errors when copying Unformatted (tried two 16GB cards and one 8GB). Tried using HD2 as mass storage and putting both to PC (one in internal card reader, one through USB).

PS. I would like have Ubuntu too, but it needs to be put on sdcard partition. If everything will go fine I will have 4 partitions (Fat16, Unformatted and two ext4), which one it will be?

PS2. If it is important, Im thinking about SlimLP or CM13 to use as NativeSD.
8th January 2016, 09:29 AM |#649  
Tried now exactly what third method from first post says with one of 16GB's and after second reset, right after using EASEUS - in which I set:
- 200MB FAT16
- 4,49GB Unallocated
- 10,06GB Unformatted
I got low memory warning after boot and in about it's only <16MB...
24th April 2016, 02:44 PM |#650  
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 792

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruffR

Sorry to be such a late bird, but I'd like to have WP7.8 + NativeSD Android 4.x dual boot on my HD2.
So I did install MAGLDR 1.13 and flashed Dynamics_HD2O_HD2_2_21_Western, which works like a charm.
After that I followed the instructions of http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1880905, but this is where my issue is.
I have set up my SD card as outlined and put the 4EXT recovery (tried all three flavours) on the FAT32 partition along with EvoHd2v10final-fixedx.zip.
Then selected the recovery folder as AD Boot Dir in MAGLDR and tried to boot AD on SD.
After that I get 123456 GO GO GO but after a while first the green htc screen appears, stays for a while and then the phone reboots into MAGLDR.

What can I do to do a NativeSD setup?
Do I have to do a MAGLDR Repartition or a MAGLDR Update Recovery with HD2 Toolkit 4.3? With what parameters?

I have tried several Task28, Repartition parameters, ...
I tried with and without "Use Last 24MB" - some say it's required, some say it may cause bricking ...

I'm a bit lost. Please help!

Thanks

ScruffR

BTW: Would there be a way to copy the SD-ROM to the EXT4 partition manually (e.g. on a Linux box)?

--------

[SOLVED]

@hitman1376:

Thanks

i did it with native sd rom and its working great but i use eXtended TWRP instead of 4EXT recovery
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
dual boot, wp7 and android

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)