FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

New video chat/conference software

123 posts
Thanks Meter: 15
 
By reelportal, Senior Member on 18th January 2011, 07:12 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I ported my ReelPortal video conference to Android recently. It's reported to be working on the Viewsonic G Tablet with certain ROMs. I believe it works on the Archos 70/101, but I don't know how well, since the G Tablet has the Tegra-2 dual-core CPU and the Archos don't.

Anyhow, my app is published on AppLibs, or you can get it from the G Tablet thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=908613

Please provide feedback if you try it. Thanks.

Beware of firmware 2.1.3 (not sure if 2.1.4 is any better):
Kashban: I got word from one of my friends owning an Archos 101 (non rooted, latest firmware 2.1.3), that ReelPortal is very buggy and slow on it. I have no problems on UrukDroid based on FW 2.0.71 and still waiting for Uruk to move on to the new FW, so as soon as I migrated I will test again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reelportal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift reelportal Ad-Free
 
 
19th January 2011, 10:01 PM |#2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Thanks! I will try it out
20th January 2011, 05:55 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookiller

Thanks! I will try it out

Cool! Let me know if you have any questions.
20th January 2011, 07:49 AM |#4  
cajl's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag near PARIS (94)
Thanks Meter: 167
 
Donate to Me
More
i am use your APK on Archos 10.1 it and 7.0
for 4.3 it the webcam is on side of the Archos

install ok
connect ok
how deconnect ?
but the screen with the webcam is very big
have you a solution ?
see pictures


20th January 2011, 09:06 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 44
 
More
Feedback
First of all: Nicely done.

I tested it between my HTC Desire, the Archos 101it and my Netbook running Win7 32bit using Firefox 3.6.x.

A few Things which may be improved from my Perspective:
  1. Exit function:

    Not prominent enough on Android: If you just chose to back out of the App, it's still running, including Video and Audio broadcast. This is good if you want to bring another App to front without breaking the Conference, but if you intend to disconnect, you have to longpress on the Screen, which isn't obvious at first. You may accidently broadcast on and on without knowing.

    Proposal: If leaving the app by the back button, ask the user what to do: Exit Application or put it in the background with running video/audio or put it in the background with video/audio stopped and muted. If the App is in background and still sending, it should show this by an Icon in the status bar of Android. Don't know if that's a goal possible to achieve with Adobe Air. Otherwise you may be sending video / audio without knowing and giving away your privacy.

    Regarding privacy: Is there a way to encrypt the Streams? If not, even with your own Server someone might spoof on the Connection (I know it's P2P, but nevertheless routed through internet relays).
  2. Login screen:
    Sometimes when writing into the Nickname / Room Fields a leading Space is added and the Strings are not accepted. Better strip any leading and trailing Spaces from the input Strings without bothering the User.

    Terms of Service: Should be gone once I clicked "save" and changable by Options Menu.

    Would be nice if the App stores my Nickname and the Room I used before

    Moving Windows are fancy but not needed on the login Screen. I was more irritated by it.
  3. The Conference Room:

    Paused Video Stream of Participant: No indication whether the Connection has been lost or the Participant paused the Stream. Perhaps putting a Message on Screen for Paused Streams (and Muted voice) would lead to more Confidence in the Robustness of the Software and the Connection.

    Size of Conference Room Items: On small Screens like my 3.7 inch one of the Desire the Chat Window Controls are too small. Everything else seems to be ok.
  4. Video Stream Quality. How is the initial setting calculated? Is it depending on the current kBit/s or just an overall Default?
Anyhow, this is a good Piece of Software you developed here. I'm not familiar with other Solutions on Android like Fring or Skype, but it looks very promising given the Fact it runs on all Devices with Flash Capacity (even iPhones and iPads with the Packager from Adobe)

Best regards,
Kashban
The Following User Says Thank You to Kashban For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kashban Ad-Free
20th January 2011, 09:18 AM |#6  
cajl's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag near PARIS (94)
Thanks Meter: 167
 
Donate to Me
More
have you the link for the netbook ?
20th January 2011, 05:35 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajl

i am use your APK on Archos 10.1 it and 7.0
for 4.3 it the webcam is on side of the Archos

install ok
connect ok
how deconnect ?
but the screen with the webcam is very big
have you a solution ?
see pictures

If you press and hold on the main screen for 4 seconds, a pop up menu appears. It has the "Exit" and "Toggle Screen" buttons. The toggle screen suppose to toggle the screen between FullScreen and Normal (which is default to 800x480), but it doesn't work on Android because currently on Android, Normal equals FullScreen. I will look for other ways to get around it. Thanks for bringing it up.

For netbook, you can run it from a web browser at www.reelportal.com. Or you can install the AIR version via download link.

BTW, double-clicking on the main screen should also toggle the screen, but also not working on Android .
20th January 2011, 05:43 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashban

First of all: Nicely done.

I tested it between my HTC Desire, the Archos 101it and my Netbook running Win7 32bit using Firefox 3.6.x.

A few Things which may be improved from my Perspective:

  1. Exit function:

    Not prominent enough on Android: If you just chose to back out of the App, it's still running, including Video and Audio broadcast. This is good if you want to bring another App to front without breaking the Conference, but if you intend to disconnect, you have to longpress on the Screen, which isn't obvious at first. You may accidently broadcast on and on without knowing.

    Proposal: If leaving the app by the back button, ask the user what to do: Exit Application or put it in the background with running video/audio or put it in the background with video/audio stopped and muted. If the App is in background and still sending, it should show this by an Icon in the status bar of Android. Don't know if that's a goal possible to achieve with Adobe Air. Otherwise you may be sending video / audio without knowing and giving away your privacy.

    Regarding privacy: Is there a way to encrypt the Streams? If not, even with your own Server someone might spoof on the Connection (I know it's P2P, but nevertheless routed through internet relays).
  2. Login screen:
    Sometimes when writing into the Nickname / Room Fields a leading Space is added and the Strings are not accepted. Better strip any leading and trailing Spaces from the input Strings without bothering the User.

    Terms of Service: Should be gone once I clicked "save" and changable by Options Menu.

    Would be nice if the App stores my Nickname and the Room I used before

    Moving Windows are fancy but not needed on the login Screen. I was more irritated by it.
  3. The Conference Room:

    Paused Video Stream of Participant: No indication whether the Connection has been lost or the Participant paused the Stream. Perhaps putting a Message on Screen for Paused Streams (and Muted voice) would lead to more Confidence in the Robustness of the Software and the Connection.

    Size of Conference Room Items: On small Screens like my 3.7 inch one of the Desire the Chat Window Controls are too small. Everything else seems to be ok.
  4. Video Stream Quality. How is the initial setting calculated? Is it depending on the current kBit/s or just an overall Default?
Anyhow, this is a good Piece of Software you developed here. I'm not familiar with other Solutions on Android like Fring or Skype, but it looks very promising given the Fact it runs on all Devices with Flash Capacity (even iPhones and iPads with the Packager from Adobe)

Best regards,
Kashban

Thank you for the extensive feedback! I definitely like a fresh perspective. I will put your ideas on my to do list.
22nd January 2011, 02:29 AM |#9  
njbreaker's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
I was able to install on my 101 I now have to get adobe air and i'll try it later tonight.

I also tried to install it on my stock 2.1 verizon facinate and the apk won't install using astro.....any ideas?

Thanks,

-G

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App
22nd January 2011, 03:07 AM |#10  
blazingwolf's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 409
 
Donate to Me
More
Works just fine on my 101. Shows how bad the camera is too.
22nd January 2011, 03:15 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbreaker

I was able to install on my 101 I now have to get adobe air and i'll try it later tonight.

I also tried to install it on my stock 2.1 verizon facinate and the apk won't install using astro.....any ideas?

Thanks,

-G

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

it needs to have Android 2.2, and Adobe AIR 2.5.1, otherwise it won't function even if you manage to install it, because the API is not there to access the hardware....also, if your device have 2 cameras, the current API only allow access to 1 camera (most likely the back one). Android 2.3 would allow access to multiple cameras.
The Following User Says Thank You to reelportal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift reelportal Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes