105 posts
Thanks Meter: 88

By bittrix, Senior Member on 19th January 2011, 07:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
UPDATED 18-FEB-2011
==========================
beta 06
==========================
  • update to gingerbread 2.3.2 - Compiled from AOSP, CyanogenMod, other online sources and I wrote/tweaked/swore a bit too. Coding with gingerbread is like playing a nasty game of whack-a-mole.
  • now compiling with updated toolchain optimized for tegra / cortex-A9 processors
  • includes Clemsyn's kernel (Pershoot's works too)
  • includes gapps and working 3D maps
  • removed most of the overt CyanogenMod graphics and branding to avoid confusion with their official builds
  • reverted memory naming: internal storage is emmc, removable sd-card is sdcard. Sorry for the flip but this is the future for tablets. Apps should be reading the mount points properly regardless of the device type or naming scheme.
  • USB connection (via UMS) mounts to /sdcard and no longer makes the fs unstable (I hope). If you don't have a removable SD card then ADB still mounts to internal storage.
  • bunch of behind-the-scenes code and framework optimizations for stability, smoothness. Still not as fast as froyo but waaaay better than beta05. YMMV.

Special thanks to the real devs and gurus: clemsyn, gojimi, pershoot, rothnic, roebeet

This will probably be near the end of my involvement with the 2.3 codebase. Tablets like this really need the architectural changes in honeycomb (3.X+) especially real SMP. Also when looking for performance tweaks I keep running face-first into the fact that the PROPRIETARY nvidia drivers {spit on the floor} make their own superchip look like a Z80 on a hot day (yes, it's a Zilog reference. yes, I'm old). Also... There's only one of me.

INSTALLING: READ CAREFULLY AND OBEY.
  1. save the bittrix-beta...zip to your internal memory
  2. use CM .8 and install the zip
  3. when the install finishes, stay in CM... wipe data/factory reset, clear cache, clear dalvik, stay in CM...
  4. install the zip again. Failure to do this means wifi won't work unless you flash a standalone Clemsyn or Pershoot gingerbread kernel.
  5. reboot.

USE NOTES:
  • First boot may ask what startup to proceed with - either will do - i pick "startup wizard" (it doesn't run the wizard, but you have to pick one...)
  • The system will feel a bit slow the first time as the system is busy parsing/precompiling the java files. Things get much faster as you use it.
  • Google app framework is installed. Your best install for the individual apps is to load them yourself from the market. The first-time app picker is hit/miss.
  • Market won't show installed apps until you buy one.
  • Camera is borked for now.

This should be considered as an experimental build, with all the usual disclaimers about turning your tablet to slag, crossing the streams, starting a game of global thermonuclear war, etc. It's not an official CM release. Editing the source and messing with the module packaging feels like I just leaned a bit too far down the rabbit hole. Please be patient with me, I have a day job.

Changelog:
  • 19Jan initial release - Compilation from 19Jan CM7 git
  • 21Jan beta02 - new merges, updated kernel, fixed: USB, Angry Birds
  • 22Jan beta03 - newest CM7 base plus first source edits! framework text now displays "tablet" instead of "phone" in spots, fixed camera orientation. Set screen dpi to 120 (match actual panel) from 160.
  • 23Jan beta04 - x-y screen metrics and scaling. Some text should appear visibly sharper now if rendered correctly. Removed cell & phone system files. Internal memory is now /sdcard, removable memory is now /sdext.
    PC should now see both internal partitions over USB cable. pull-down menu (drag down the top statusbar) has soft buttons to toggle wifi, bluetooth, location, and sound (CM7 feature).
  • 24Jan beta05 - fixed mount points, changed framebuffer timing to 70Hz, no more cell signal indicator, UI fixes, added "never" screen timeout option, enabled dock settings (can't test, I don't have one, YMMV)
  • 18-Feb beta06 - update to 2.3.2.
without further ado...

beta06:

link to beta 06.43f: http://www.mediafire.com/?kcw19h91tw21wfk

RELATED LINKS:

Updated kernel: Clemsyn now supports gingerbread with his kernel builds. Support for most TLA and FLA is included. In the event of issues you can just reflash the bittrix beta. They're at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=895825

Updated kernel: Pershoot is cooking up some amazing kernel goodness - I think I saw eye of newt and a stick of dynamite in one of the .conf files his thread is at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=903505 - he provides the extra functionality modules as separate files, so the more adventurous among you can roll-your-own (so to speak).

Official CM7 Betas: GoJimi's official CM7 beta is going strong. It's mostly from the same codebase and will give you the same look and feel. If you're at all squeamish about trying new builds I recommend using it instead. it's at post#18 in this topic... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=18

VEGAnTAB: is migrating to a gingerbread base. It's XDA forum is http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=884103 and GoJimi also runs the projects website at http://vegantab.gojimi.com/
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to bittrix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bittrix Ad-Free

19th January 2011, 07:55 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 123

More
Angry
Oh now THIS is gonna be GOOOOOOD.....

Downloading now!
The Following User Says Thank You to anlog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift anlog Ad-Free
19th January 2011, 07:56 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
And I was about to go to sleep.....
19th January 2011, 07:57 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Hey thanks. Any way you can provide known issues? Is wifi, bluetooth, the g sensor, camera, adobe flash etc working? Also, do you have quadrant scores and screen shots?
19th January 2011, 08:29 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 123

More
Got it flashed. Seems VERY fast.

So far I've noticed the following:

1. Camera is sideways
2. No audio on speakers until I plug/unplug headphones.
3. Phone APKs appear to be loaded? I'm showing a little cell phone signal meter.
4. Wifi works fine.

(more to follow)
The Following User Says Thank You to anlog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift anlog Ad-Free
19th January 2011, 08:40 AM |#6  
Tustin
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlog

Got it flashed. Seems VERY fast.

So far I've noticed the following:

1. Camera is sideways
2. No audio on speakers until I plug/unplug headphones.
3. Phone APKs appear to be loaded? I'm showing a little cell phone signal meter.
4. Wifi works fine.

(more to follow)

video please!
19th January 2011, 08:43 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
1. Also noticed that camera orientation is incorrect.
2. Micro SD properly mounted in /sdcard now.
3. Internal storage is now in /emmc
4. Settings properly shows storage for internal and microsd
5. Can't mount storage on pc
6. Can confirm that 3d Maps is working.
7. Haven't been able to get Quadrant to run completely
8. Wasn't able to restore Angry Birds from Titanium Backup
9. No fancy power off screen animation

First time using Cyanogen Mod, so some of this may already be known.
The Following User Says Thank You to japhule For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift japhule Ad-Free
19th January 2011, 09:58 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Legend, thanks!! Giving this a crack now

Edit: As stated in the first post the drive mappings are different - external SD is /sdcard and internal sd is /emmc
This has implications for Titanium Backup when you try to restore your USER DATA (user data only, don't restore system data)
Copy the contents of /emmc/titaniumbackup to /sdcard/titaniumbackup using Root Explorer or similar.
Titanium will now see all of your old backups.

Rockplayer wont play movies in Hardware Decode mode. Software decode mode is jerky.

Coming from VEGAn 5.1 I find this rom a bit laggy

Flash not working on the sites I tested - www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/

It's a great first effort and still worth booting up to see it. Might go back to TnT Lite for a bit
19th January 2011, 12:57 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 139

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittrix

Here goes... My first (successful) attempt at compiling from source. This is Cyanogen Mod 7.0.0RC0 compiled from the latest sources as of this evening. It's a real-live taste of gingerbread This uses Bekit's 2.6.32.9 kernel and brings things up to Android 2.3.1

Use CM .8, wipe data & cache, and install as update. If you're installing over TnT Lite: failure to wipe the user data will give you never-ending tap n touch keyboard FCs.

You'll need to install the market (see below).

This should be considered as an experimental build, with all the usual disclaimers about turning your tablet to slag, starting global thermonuclear war, etc.

It is important to note that my role in this is "guy who compiled other people's source". I am nerd, but neither guru nor dev.

without further ado...
http://www.mediafire.com/file/y3iq7j...ANG-signed.zip

Update: very cool new google apps installer **INCLUDING MARKET** choose the CM7 Tegra builds from
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.ph...on/Google_Apps

WORKING: Google Maps including 3D tilt and coarse (network-derived) location, navigation, speech input, wifi, full market (looks full - YMMV) cool pull-down status bar (like Vegan but thinner), remembers date and time on power off, sleep/wake appears to work, Flash (install from Market)...

ISSUES: Angry Birds won't install, sound may need plug/unplug or widget toggle, no file transfer to PC via USB (won't leave debug mode)...

Regarding the Angry Birds not installing issue - something in the crypto loop device probably isn't working for apps that try to install to SD. That's what Android tries to put on /sdcard (or /emmc in this case? not sure how this gets handled with the changed mount points). Could also be crap in /emmc (specifically, in the .secure or .android_secure, whatever it's called directory) from a prior ROM install that needs to be deleted. Or using a kernel that's not compiled with all the right options (make sure you're using a kernel that's known good from other installs - clemsyn or pershoot's kernels, or the kernel rothnic compiled for Vegan 5.1beta should all be good).

Also Roebeet, Rothnic and Gojii all dealt with the sound issues on TNT Lite and Vegan, so might be worth asking them about how they resolved that.

Not sure about the USB sticking in debug mode issue, you'll have to dig around and figure that one out.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcgabriel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rcgabriel Ad-Free
19th January 2011, 01:49 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
reminds me very much of zpad clean 3, which i love but has auto brightness missing.

however, it seems as if cifs isnt built in. is there a cifs.ko i can insmod in this rom?

Sent from my UPC300-2.2 using Tapatalk
19th January 2011, 02:12 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 88

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgabriel

Regarding the Angry Birds not installing issue - something in the crypto loop device probably isn't working for apps that try to install to SD. That's what Android tries to put on /sdcard (or /emmc in this case? not sure how this gets handled with the changed mount points). Could also be crap in /emmc (specifically, in the .secure or .android_secure, whatever it's called directory) from a prior ROM install that needs to be deleted. Or using a kernel that's not compiled with all the right options (make sure you're using a kernel that's known good from other installs - clemsyn or pershoot's kernels, or the kernel rothnic compiled for Vegan 5.1beta should all be good).

Also Roebeet, Rothnic and Gojii all dealt with the sound issues on TNT Lite and Vegan, so might be worth asking them about how they resolved that.

Not sure about the USB sticking in debug mode issue, you'll have to dig around and figure that one out.

Thanks! Knowing where to look is my biggest problem. I really only started this so I could make my USB GPS work in the car, and expect the real devs will be along shortly with stuff that's not so experimental. This is literally the first working OS I've ever compiled
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)