Thanks to members for the tip. I had a little talk with one of the fellow MS employes and he said, actual WP7 customers were suffering due to the policy change. People were finding it frustrating to have to send scanned copies. So, they made it easier.Enjoy!
BUMP: Microsoft has changed the policies! Now they need scanned copy of IMEI number and product purchase proof! If anybody is able to get key by any other method, do post in this thread!
I see lots of people asking for unlock keys for there HD2-7, just because their country doesn't seem to have the call center. However, I have found that, Microsoft is supporting all the big countries!
If you find this guide helpful, don't forget to hit the 'Thanks' button.
Here is the guide.
1. First of all, you need the contact number of Microsoft call center in your country.
Go here and grab it. http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/
I have found it working for India!
2. Now, I think calls in most of the countries will be answered by the IVRS (Interactive Voice Response System). Most probably, you will get lost in choosing menu options.
3. Simply wait for the last option where the system says that press __ to talk to our technical support person. (In India, you have to type 06)
4. Now, the person will receive you. Tell him your Windows Live Id and all other things. (you need not fake!) And tell them your issue. He may say that you are in wrong section! Ask him to transfer his call to product activation section for WP7. (All this is to avoid getting lost in IVRS menu!)
5. Now, your call will be transfered. Tell the person that you want to activate your HTC HD7! (Make sure, its launched in your country.)
6. That's it! The person confirms your Live ID and gives you the key. (Its kinda difficult though to get 25 characters correctly through phone. Make sure you take down everything correctly!)
7. If step 3 onwards doesn't work (like technical support person doesn't know what you're talking about) tell them the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2431699 and tell him that this is I want.
8. Alternatively, you can navigate to Xbox live support and ask them for key. (You have to tell them that you were asked for the key when you tried to access the Xbox live from your HD7)
9. Method of Skype is good but won't work on poor connections. (and most of the connections fall in this category, as far as developing countries are concerned!)
Again, I need your feedback. Comments are most welcome (and so are thanks!) Please, buy me a cup of milk, if you wish! (I don't like beer! )People in India can use SBI net banking. (PM me for account number!)
Hope you enjoy it.