11,815 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,662

By AllGamer, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st January 2011, 08:29 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
original topic here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=919326

just in case you miss it

this app is great for our phones with limited storage space

way better to use than App2SD App and/or the App2SD script that most of us are using with the XT720

Thumbs up To get Link2SD working the XT720...

Thanks to Riley600

I've worked with the developer and found the issue. Motorola phones can't mount the ext2 partition and need to install the ext2.ko file (this file is installed when you install app2sd).

Unfortunately, right now the steps are manual to install this (otherwise the apk would largely increase in size). But once this is done (you need root access, obviously), Link2SD will work. I used Root Explorer to copy ext2.ko to the necessary directory - however, I'm sure it can be done using adb commands. I'm not confident enough with my adb skills to give instructions based on that - so if someone else knows better than I, please feel free to give your own instructions.

1) Download the ext2.ko file (zip attached)
2) Extract it to your SD card
3) Use Root Explorer to navigate where you extracted it to and copy the file
4) Navigate to /system/lib/modules/ and paste the ext2.ko file there
5) Reboot - Link2SD should now mount the ext2 partition and function correctly!

Currently, if you link a file to the SD card, it will not show up in the Market until it is unlinked. The developer is looking into a solution for this. Otherwise, it's a solid program - I've left my Home Launcher (ADW) on the phone's memory which seems to have reduced stuttering and slowdowns from when it was installed on the SD card with app2sd.

I'll try to answer any other questions about the installation of this program on the XT720 if you have any.

Thanks to Bulent for working with me to find a solution to the issue with Motorola phones!
Attachment on post # 8 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...98&postcount=8
The Following User Says Thank You to AllGamer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AllGamer Ad-Free

21st January 2011, 08:56 PM |#2  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 40

More
How does one removed an already installed version of App2SD (via the script) and retain all their programs? I searched it and some people seem to indicate that you have to reflash your phone...
22nd January 2011, 01:33 PM |#3  
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 1,091

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGamer

original topic here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=919326

just in case you miss it

this app is great for our phones with limited storage space

way better to use than App2SD App and/or the App2SD script that most of us are using with the XT720

Any tips on getting this to work? I tried setting up my SD card with both the "Mini free" tool & gParted live CD & the app won't recognize my ext2 partition.
22nd January 2011, 05:05 PM |#4  
Flag Belize City
Thanks Meter: 2

More
same here I tried his new version too

Sent from my Milestone XT720 using XDA App
22nd January 2011, 05:47 PM |#5  
Flag Vancouver

More
I have the same issue as the others. It says it can't mount my partition but it's there and worked with app2sd. Any suggestions?
24th January 2011, 02:25 PM |#6  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 0

More
So, is it not working?
24th January 2011, 02:51 PM |#7  
Flag Vancouver

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidontaro

So, is it not working?

Doesn't seem like it. I provided the developer with some info about our phone so hopefully he can use that to get it working with the XT720.
24th January 2011, 10:23 PM |#8  
Flag Vancouver

More
Thumbs up To get Link2SD working the XT720...
I've worked with the developer and found the issue. Motorola phones can't mount the ext2 partition and need to install the ext2.ko file (this file is installed when you install app2sd).

Unfortunately, right now the steps are manual to install this (otherwise the apk would largely increase in size). But once this is done (you need root access, obviously), Link2SD will work. I used Root Explorer to copy ext2.ko to the necessary directory - however, I'm sure it can be done using adb commands. I'm not confident enough with my adb skills to give instructions based on that - so if someone else knows better than I, please feel free to give your own instructions.

1) Download the ext2.ko file (zip attached)
2) Extract it to your SD card
3) Use Root Explorer to navigate where you extracted it to and copy the file
4) Navigate to /system/lib/modules/ and paste the ext2.ko file there
5) Open an adb shell with super user (su) permissions and run the following command:
Code:
insmod /system/lib/modules/ext2.ko
6) Reboot - Link2SD should now mount the ext2 partition and function correctly!

It's a solid program - I've left my Home Launcher (ADW) on the phone's memory which seems to have reduced stuttering and slowdowns from when it was installed on the SD card with app2sd.

I'll try to answer any other questions about the installation of this program on the XT720 if you have any.

Thanks to Bulent for working with me to find a solution to the issue with Motorola phones!
Attached Files
File Type: zip ext2.ko.zip - [Click for QR Code] (322.6 KB, 6279 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Riley600 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Riley600 Ad-Free
24th January 2011, 10:41 PM |#9  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Istanbul
Thanks Meter: 929

More
I've made small change in the application and released 1.0.5. What I did for Motorola users is to add insmod line to install-recovery.sh script if /system/lib/modules/ext2.ko file exists.
In this way all you have to do manually is to copy ext2.ko file to modules directory and then install link2sd.
You can install latest version from the app thread.

Thanks to Riley for his contribution.
The Following User Says Thank You to bakpinar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bakpinar Ad-Free
24th January 2011, 11:01 PM |#10  
Flag Belize City
Thanks Meter: 2

More
nice i'll try this when i get home in about 20 mins... ur the men... lol
I havent tried apps2sd, but this seems like an very creative app that i'll have to give a try
24th January 2011, 11:41 PM |#11  
Flag Vancouver

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakpinar

I've made small change in the application and released 1.0.5. What I did for Motorola users is to add insmod line to install-recovery.sh script if /system/lib/modules/ext2.ko file exists.
In this way all you have to do manually is to copy ext2.ko file to modules directory and then install link2sd.

That means first four steps in Riley's instruction are sufficient, after these you can install link2sd-1.0.5 and start using.
You can install latest version from the app thread.

Thanks to Riley for his contribution.

Instructions updated - thanks Bulent
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
link2sd

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)