FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

New video chat/conference software

123 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By reelportal, Senior Member on 26th January 2011, 08:48 AM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
I ported my ReelPortal video conference to Android recently. It's reported to be working well on the Viewsonic G Tablet with certain ROMs. It also works on the Archos 70/101. So I believe it would work on the A7 as well.

Anyhow, my app is published on AppLibs, or you can get it from the G Tablet thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=908613

Please provide feedback if you try it. Thanks.

2nd February 2011, 10:19 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
FYI,

It does work on my LAN on the A7. I just did a video chat between my Notebook (Win7 64bit) and the A7 using the Linux server code on my home Linux server.

Before opening (port forwarding) anything through my firewall, other than the TCP port the server runs at, does anything else need to be configured (ie - UDP forwarding, etc.)?

Also, any change you will change the server code to force a password to prevent unauthorized access from others if you run your own server?

Thanks,
J
3rd February 2011, 08:02 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenbj

FYI,

It does work on my LAN on the A7. I just did a video chat between my Notebook (Win7 64bit) and the A7 using the Linux server code on my home Linux server.

Before opening (port forwarding) anything through my firewall, other than the TCP port the server runs at, does anything else need to be configured (ie - UDP forwarding, etc.)?

Also, any change you will change the server code to force a password to prevent unauthorized access from others if you run your own server?

Thanks,
J

Good question regarding UDP forwarding, but unfortunately I don't have an answer. P2P mode uses UDP, and besides the ReelPortal server, it also requires access to the Adobe Cirrus server, which generate a certain key string, allowing the clients to see each other. But I haven't test P2P mode in my home server, since I set up an external dedicated server.

With regard to a password for server, I'll have to think a little more on it. Thanks for bringing it up though.

Update from http://forums.adobe.com/message/2630255
in order to connect to Stratus (aka Cirrus) and to make P2P connections to other clients, you MUST allow all UDP ports > 1023. if you restrict UDP ports, you may no longer connect to Stratus, and you probably won't connect to other clients.
10th February 2011, 10:58 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles

More
I'm thinking of adding an optional "subkey" parameter to the server:

> server-linux 192.168.1.1 subkey=ABC

If subkey is defined, then all clients logging into the server must have a Key that contains the "ABC" string, e.g "123ABC456", or "ABCxxxxxx", etc.

What do you think of this approach?
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread