The whole thing is based on the honeycomb preview emulator images, some of the B&N modules+driver, pieces from the upcoming CM7 and manual patching ARM assembler in libraries, writing ugly scripts to hack around various issues, a lot of time and many brain cells.
Use this on your own risk. I'm not responsible for any damages. This is not meant as a primetime ready rom. This is a preview after all.
The unzipped image is around 3.5gb and fits on 4GB SD cards.
MD5 (nookhoney04.img.zip) = 27396e63396a59a25f5d6fdbe0341276
v04 - 02/07/2011
- increased touchscreen sensitivity and made touchscreen more usable close to the borders (kernel change)
- fixed heap size issue to get much more programs running (e.g. nook app, kindle app, etc.)
v03 - 02/05/2011
- fixed screen turning animations and previews in taskswitcher
- sd card access and secure storage support
- turned off the debug screen flashes and vibrator
- added display timings
- sd card image now usable on 4gb cards
- changed to a self compiled kernel to make these things work
- reduced compressed image size
v02 - 02/02/2011
- sound support
- patched in some graphics improvements. Can play non-hd videos from m.youtube.com
- sdcard storage
v01 - 02/01/2011
- initial release
- Graphics acceleration
- The accelerometer behaves funky. Will try to fix this.
- The Gallery app crashes when opening an image. Not my fault, it's broken in the emulator from google too.
- DSP e.g. no hardware video decoding (and will possibly never work before the AOSP release)
A: I thought it would be fun. It was and still is. And now developers have an actual device to test their apps on instead of relying on the slow emulator.
A: I'm planning to write a blog post. Mostly learning how Android works, debugging, patching, reusing binaries from different sources, finding easy ways to reach a goal, try and error, a lot of brain power.
Q: During boot I get stuck at the Android screen with the blinking cursor.
A: It seems to be a timing issue with mounting the partitions. Sometimes rebooting helps to get it booting. If not a different SD card might to the trick.
Q: Why is there no Market app installed?
A: There's no legal way to distribute the google apps with a ROM.
Q: Angry Birds, Nook reader, Kindle app?
Q: I want to port Honeycomb to device xyz... send me the instructions how to do that now!
A: I like the 'I' in that sentence - but there are no instructions, no source, no nothing. Learn and read about Android, Android porting, making custom roms, embedded systems, ARM assembly, driver programming, programming in general, the Linux Kernel and much more - and when you're comfortable and have experience with all of that come back and do your port.
Q: Can you port Honeycomb to device xyz?
A: I don't have xyz. And even if device xyz would magically appear at my front door doesn't necessarily mean I'll have the time and motivation to port anything to it.
Q: I want to use a different kernel what changes did you make in the kernel?
Q: Where can I donate?
A: I don't want any money. If you want to put your money to good use donate to a humanitarian organization and/or the EFF.