FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Notion Ink Adam apps (+ screenshots)

2,331 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,306

By fisha21, Senior Member on 1st February 2011, 11:15 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
As you may have seen, one of the GTab devs ported various Adam apps to run on the GTab. (Thanks to cnewsgrp for the heads up).

Have tried installing them on my 101, and thought I'd offer some feedback and screens for people wondering whether to install them.

To clarify: calendar, mail, calculator and sniffer I installed by placing the apk in system/app folder on UrukDroid 0.5 rooted system (renamed the Mail'd apk to "email.apk") Don't forget to back up original versions. The others I just installed as regular apk (again on UrukDroid 0.5). Have attached a zip of all the files at the bottom of the post. Had to split into 2 packages due to upload size restrictions, system apk contains calendar, email, calculator and sniffer. Misc contains the rest.

Updated modified version of keyboard available in post 29.

1. Calculator - works as expected. The screen alignment is slightly off, so to enter "1", you have to press between "1" and "2". Also, link to normal calculator just goes back to homescreen.

2. Calendar - again, works much as expected. Only thing I've found is that trying to add a new entry causes a force close.

3. Canvas - not much to say. Random force closes, can save new images, can't save edited images

4. Keyboard - fits the 101 screen really well, and I love the Fn key, rather than long press, for symbols. Not so keen on the colour, no obvious way to change skins.

5. Quick office

6. Sniffer - seems to work well, doesn't pick up microSD as storage on main screen, but you can navigate to it. No force closes yet.

7. Mail'd - same set up as K9 (which its based on). Looks nice on the 101's screen - initial screen shows accounts>folders>mail. Opening an email slides the whole screen across to the left, showing mail list>message. Takes a bit of time to load messages each time the app is opened. IMAP and Hotmail work fine. No force closes yet. New mail works, but address box not linked to contacts, so you have to type whole address.

Attached Files
File Type: rar Notion Ink Adam system apk.rar - [Click for QR Code] (3.39 MB, 1262 views)
File Type: rar Notion Ink Adam misc apks.rar - [Click for QR Code] (5.03 MB, 1279 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fisha21 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fisha21 Ad-Free
1st February 2011, 11:24 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisha21

Have tried installing them on my 101, and thought I'd offer some feedback and screens for people wondering whether to install them.

7. Mail'd - same set up as K9 (which its based on). Looks nice on the 101's screen - initial screen shows accounts>folders>mail. Opening an email slides the whole screen across to the left, showing mail list>message. Takes a bit of time to load messages each time the app is opened. IMAP and Hotmail work fine. No force closes yet. New mail works, but address box not linked to contacts, so you have to type whole address.

Did you install the mail client on a stock firmware or one installed with the SDE?

I hope it's a stock firmware. Because i'v been looking for something like this.
1st February 2011, 11:31 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdl1908

Did you install the mail client on a stock firmware or one installed with the SDE?

I hope it's a stock firmware. Because i'v been looking for something like this.

I'm afraid it was on the SDE, should have specified. Had to install by replacing Email.apk in system/app. Didn't try on stock, don't use it since UrukDroid 0.3!
1st February 2011, 11:34 AM |#4  

More
Quote:

I'm afraid it was on the SDE, should have specified. Had to install by replacing Email.apk in system/app. Didn't try on stock, don't use it since UrukDroid 0.3!

Did you just copy the apk to /system/app? Or did you do something special.
1st February 2011, 11:48 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Did you just copy the apk to /system/app? Or did you do something special.

Renamed the apk to "Email.apk" and popped into /system/app. Have updated OP with details of installation method I used (thanks for your questions, made me realise I should have written that in first place!)
1st February 2011, 11:56 AM |#6  

More
Quote:

Renamed the apk to "Email.apk" and popped into /system/app. Have updated OP with details of installation method I used (thanks for your questions, made me realise I should have written that in first place!)

Hmm well the strange thing is I downloaded the zip file extracted the apk pushed it to my A101IT sd card and installed it via the file manager.

IT WORKS. So no need for root or SDE.

Still some display bugs though but I imagine those will get fixed.
1st February 2011, 05:27 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
How is the Quick Office functionality? I'd give it a shot myself but I'm at work and the Archos is at home (finally had to quit bringing it in so I could get stuff done . . . yet here I am in the forums)
1st February 2011, 07:13 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 155

More
Quote:

As you may have seen, one of the GTab devs ported various Adam apps to run on the GTab. (Thanks to cnewsgrp for the heads up).

Thanks for this post. I will check this out soon.
1st February 2011, 10:43 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Hmm well the strange thing is I downloaded the zip file extracted the apk pushed it to my A101IT sd card and installed it via the file manager.

IT WORKS. So no need for root or SDE.

Still some display bugs though but I imagine those will get fixed.

Interesting news, thanks for that. So does it just sit alongside the stock email?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rk burn

How is the Quick Office functionality? I'd give it a shot myself but I'm at work and the Archos is at home (finally had to quit bringing it in so I could get stuff done . . . yet here I am in the forums)

Have only tried it a bit. Very smooth interface, makes good use of the 101's screen size. Editing existing files and creating new files works well, no force closes so far. Haven't investigated the full feature set, but much the same as QuickOffice via the Market I guess. Haven't used the original QuickOffice, so can't compare them I'm afraid. The only obvious omission from the Adam version seems to be the lack of the "ConnectMobile" aspect ie no way to use the Adam version to access GDocs etc

EDIT No my mistake, it does indeed support online services - GDocs, Dropbox, box, mobileme.

Info box gives version as "Quickoffice 1.0.1 - Tablet"
2nd February 2011, 06:32 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
also the webbrowser is nice

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=928832
2nd February 2011, 07:50 AM |#11  

More
Quote:

Interesting news, thanks for that. So does it just sit alongside the stock email?

Yes I have both the stock email client and the Mail'd client
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)