FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Cyanogenmod, Legend, FM Radio & MONEY [MODS PLEASE CLOSE THREAD]

2,214 posts
Thanks Meter: 740

By and313, Senior Member on 9th February 2011, 12:48 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys,

I was just thinking about that nasty little problem with cyanogenmod and our legends and since there was no meaningfull advencment, we could put some money on it. I think from 5 to 10€ for each doner would be enough or what do you think? Of course the developer has to give us an account to send the money to.

I would just like to use the FM radio and since it is working on desire for some time now, why not on legend.

So who is ready to do it?

9th February 2011, 01:18 PM |#2  
Flag IBK
Thanks Meter: 75

More
would support that idea.
10th February 2011, 02:42 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
It is already stated waaaaaaaaaaayyyy before. The FM radio WILL NOT WORK on the Legend because of it's alien architecture. Don't ask me, I don't know ****. But if you're do want to make a donation then you can donate to Ali Ba which has been the sole reason CM is running on the Legend.
10th February 2011, 07:24 AM |#4  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 8

More
This is a good idea.

Sent from my Legend using XDA App
10th February 2011, 09:51 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 740

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajasyaitan

It is already stated waaaaaaaaaaayyyy before. The FM radio WILL NOT WORK on the Legend because of it's alien architecture. Don't ask me, I don't know ****. But if you're do want to make a donation then you can donate to Ali Ba which has been the sole reason CM is running on the Legend.

here on this link http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/8...rt-for-legend/ ale baba himself says it is possible but that he hasn't got the time for it. So it is possible we just need someone who will do it. But first of all we need more people.
11th February 2011, 06:31 AM |#6  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,164

Donate to Me
More
I'd consider doing development on this. I was wondering why there was no FM Radio app on CM7, LOL.

At the very least I can commit to finding all the info I can gather on this issue. I have no (satisfactory) employment at present and want to break into the Android specific field.

I have 14 years experience in embedded Linux development, including lots of low level kernel stuff. In a previous life (more decades ago than I dare admit) I did electronics engineering stuff, and I still love the low level nuts and bolts.

I'm pretty new to Android however, got my first cellphone (ever!) 17 days ago, first Android phone 15 days ago, and my Legend yesterday.

I think I can learn quick, I'm CM7 nightly, S-Off, new radio one day after getting it, LOL.

So my point is I, and this project, could use help in areas of Android specific knowledge.

Does anyone know if the normal FM radio app I've used before is proprietary Google code ?

Are there any generic FM radio apps that would work if standard drivers existed ?

My quick research on this is that only a driver might be needed. A V4L (video 4 linux) driver, which I have already had some experience with.

But there DOES seem to be a V4L driver already for Linux for the TI WL1273 chip apparently used in the Legend, and apparently a number of other phones. So in theory, this job might be as easy as integrating an already written driver in to the CM kernel, as a kernel module or 2. There MIGHT be some copyright issues with any chip firmware though.

Alas, some comments indicate using such a driver might interfere with Bluetooth functionality.

Interesting stuff about the 1273 chip is that it may support an FM transmitter, and it supposedly supports WiFi N. But who knows if needed hardware support might not be on the PCBs.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
11th February 2011, 07:24 AM |#7  
Flag With Sansa @Winterfell
Thanks Meter: 168

More
^ wow! where have you been all our android lives, bro? link on the post above yours answers some, if not of all, of your questions & covers a lot, i guess. cheers!
11th February 2011, 08:01 AM |#8  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxq1

^ wow! where have you been all our android lives, bro? link on the post above yours answers some, if not of all, of your questions & covers a lot, i guess. cheers!

Cheers...

I've been reading that there IS an FM Radio app integrated into CM now. It comes from MIUI, a chinese group of some sort that also makes an Android ROM.

The app apparently uses /dev/radio* which is the standard V4L radio interface. I have these also on my Hauuppage PVR boards I used for HTPC before I went completely digital for movies, tv, etc.

So yes, what we need is integration of a driver into CM kernel, but coding may be needed to fix bluetooth driver interference etc. And of course who knows what else might be needed.

I'm reading that FM is much more important to those without data to stream. Not all of us live in wireless data dense cities and countries.

Would be interesting to see what frequency range can be received and maybe transmitted.

Would be MOST cool to stream from video camera to transmitter for local "pirate TV" type functionality, LOL. Actually can't imagine ATSC or even NTSC (or PAL etc.) encoding possible, but wireless streaming will do the job...
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
11th February 2011, 08:18 AM |#9  
Flag IBK
Thanks Meter: 75

More
@mikereidis
Thanks for joining in, great highly appreciated. If there is any time left it would be nice if you could look into the GPS problem with CM 7 it is currently not addressed.
Anyhow thanks for your participation and contribution.

BR, ojessie
11th February 2011, 09:07 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1,047

Donate to Me
More
@mikereidis

So are you going to try and port it?? If you will and you'll succeded then you will be the legend in Legend community!

Sent from my Legend using XDA App
11th February 2011, 07:47 PM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojessie

@mikereidis
Thanks for joining in, great highly appreciated. If there is any time left it would be nice if you could look into the GPS problem with CM 7 it is currently not addressed.
Anyhow thanks for your participation and contribution.

BR, ojessie

I can keep my eyes and ears open to GPS, but best to concentrate on one issue at a time.

What is the GPS issue ? I thought it didn't work on my phone after new ROM but within a few hours it was working OK for whatever reason. And now I see 2 metre accuracy compared to the minimum of 5 on my Optimus Chic.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)