By zost, Senior Member on 11th February 2011, 06:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
How to root Viewpad 7?

Anybody suceeded?

12th February 2011, 09:28 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Ok,

Use SuperOneClick, just make sure to click 'run as admin' if win7. That was were I screwed up.
13th February 2011, 01:27 AM |#3  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 65

Donate to Me
More
In case you have issues here is a step by step:

a) Download the latest version of Super One Click (currently 1.6.5).

b) Place your Android device into debugging mode, and connect to computer.

c) Right-click the Super One Click executable and select 'Run As Administrator'.

d) At program launch select 'rageagainstthecage' exploit method, then select 'Root'.

e) If there is no activity for more than 30 seconds and the terminal display is stuck at 'Running rageagainstthecage....' remove the USB plug momentarily and plug back in.

f) You should get the message “***IF IT KEEPS LOOPING, TRY DISABLING USB DEBUGGING NOW***” followed by an ADB reset, waiting for device, and finally a successful rooting message. (Apparently the looping issue is a known bug).

g) Once this process is complete your prompted to test the root condition. Follow the steps to verify.
The Following User Says Thank You to lakehousetech For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lakehousetech Ad-Free
13th February 2011, 11:07 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Yes, I rooted it that way. Thank you very much!

How about unroot with Super One Click, does it work too?
17th February 2011, 01:10 PM |#5  
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 92

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakehousetech

In case you have issues here is a step by step:

a) Download the latest version of Super One Click (currently 1.6.5).

b) Place your Android device into debugging mode, and connect to computer.

c) Right-click the Super One Click executable and select 'Run As Administrator'.

d) At program launch select 'rageagainstthecage' exploit method, then select 'Root'.

e) If there is no activity for more than 30 seconds and the terminal display is stuck at 'Running rageagainstthecage....' remove the USB plug momentarily and plug back in.

f) You should get the message “***IF IT KEEPS LOOPING, TRY DISABLING USB DEBUGGING NOW***” followed by an ADB reset, waiting for device, and finally a successful rooting message. (Apparently the looping issue is a known bug).

g) Once this process is complete your prompted to test the root condition. Follow the steps to verify.

Now let's put Gingerbread or Honeycomb on it!! :)
9th March 2011, 03:45 PM |#6  
Flag Toronto

Donate to Me
More
I'm working on an AOSP port of Gingerbread for the Viewpad 7 as we speak. Once I can get the basics working I'll open a dedicated thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to lakehousetech For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lakehousetech Ad-Free
9th March 2011, 04:20 PM |#7  
Flag Kansas City

More
Quote:

I'm working on an AOSP port of Gingerbread for the Viewpad 7 as we speak. Once I can get the basics working I'll open a dedicated thread.

Really??! That's donation worthy man.

Edit:Then the only thing that would be missing is some way to do TV out. Any ideas?
10th March 2011, 01:43 AM |#8  
Flag Toronto

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenInsight

Really??! That's donation worthy man.

Edit:Then the only thing that would be missing is some way to do TV out. Any ideas?

I don't know of any way TV out would be possible since there is no mini-HDMI port on the device. One of the main things that should be fixed is HD video playback. It really seems like Viewsonic rushed they're tablets to the market. Aside from that and lack of Flash I think it's a great tablet...especially for a developer. Having the 3G radio and GPS is really nice, as well as the screen compatibility mode.
10th March 2011, 02:43 PM |#9  
Flag Kansas City

More
Quote:

I don't know of any way TV out would be possible since there is no mini-HDMI port on the device. One of the main things that should be fixed is HD video playback. It really seems like Viewsonic rushed they're tablets to the market. Aside from that and lack of Flash I think it's a great tablet...especially for a developer. Having the 3G radio and GPS is really nice, as well as the screen compatibility mode.

The Viewpad 7 doesn't have flash! What?
10th March 2011, 03:05 PM |#10  
Flag Toronto

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenInsight

The Viewpad 7 doesn't have flash! What?

It uses a Qualcomm MSM7227 ARM11v6 processor with Adreno 200 graphics, clocked at 600MHz. It's been benchmarked in direct comparison to it's 1GHz Snapdragon cousins, so don't let the clock speed fool you (performance would be comparable to the original Motorola Droid). It's certainly capable of running Flash, but Adobe has been less than forthcoming about releasing a version which will support this architecture.

There are many other devices using this chip that have been released just a couple months ago, so it is still very much in wide use. I don't think anyone has ever found a workaround (aside from using Flash Lite). So until Adobe comes around, we'll be stuck using Skyfire.
15th March 2011, 10:24 AM |#11  
Flag Copenhagen
Thanks Meter: 1

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I just got my Vpad7 yesterday, and i'm already annoyed at the default 2.2. Even as rooted, my milestone with 2.3.3. still outshines it.

I cant even find an update.zip it'll accept. So when you got something worth testing, or a kernel worth booting, please allow me to test it
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)