Attention: To all Shift oweners with Headphone Jack Issues.

Search This thread

stealthfx

Apr 21, 2008
Okay,

After researching I found that the Original EVO had a faulty headphone jack issue. So when my Shift would cut out I assumed the jack was to blame. I had the issue on two occasions.

1st time) I found I had lint in the jack, tweezers fixed that issue.

2nd time) Jack was clean, but the actual headphone plug would pop out ever so slightly anytime it was moved gently (i.e the phone shifts in your pocket).

I assumed this was to do with the pins in the headphone jack wearing down\being pushed back and not always returning back and locking with the connector on the headphone. This definitely would be an issue for most Shift users over time (users who use headphones a lot at least.) Now after searching the googlez' I didn't see that many hits on people having issues with their shifts headphone jack, only one or two posts on xda & android central about how "touchy" the jack is (i.e headphone would pop out a TINY bit, it's normal to have this kind of play, my her did as well, with no issues). So instead I looked at my headphones themselves (their connector), gathered 4 pairs and tried them all. 3 of them are pretty pricey, and their connector would pop out of the phone ever so slightly when moved, the 4th pair (cheap ear buds) had no problem whatsoever :confused: . So what was the difference? The LENGTH of the gold\silver connector. I lined them up side by side under a light, and lo and behold, the 4th cheap one was slight shorter, and it allowed it to sit snugly and "snap" into the phone, and would not pop out under movement, the other 3 pairs were ever so slightly longer. So my solution? Metal nail file, and take down a little bit of the tip, which lets the plug sit all the way in. Be careful not do damage your connector on your headphones. Or you could just buy another pair and make sure it's not too long (the connector tip). Hope this helps some of you folk out there.

jesusice

Dec 22, 2010
Okay,

After researching I found that the Original EVO had a faulty headphone jack issue. So when my Shift would cut out I assumed the jack was to blame. I had the issue on two occasions.

2nd time) Jack was clean, but the actual headphone plug would pop out ever so slightly anytime it was moved gently (i.e the phone shifts in your pocket).

I assumed this was to do with the pins in the headphone jack wearing down\being pushed back and not always returning back and locking with the connector on the headphone. This definitely would be an issue for most Shift users over time (users who use headphones a lot at least.) Now after searching the googlez' I didn't see that many hits on people having issues with their shifts headphone jack, only one or two posts on xda & android central about how "touchy" the jack is (i.e headphone would pop out a TINY bit, it's normal to have this kind of play, my her did as well, with no issues). So instead I looked at my headphones themselves (their connector), gathered 4 pairs and tried them all. 3 of them are pretty pricey, and their connector would pop out of the phone ever so slightly when moved, the 4th pair (cheap ear buds) had no problem whatsoever :confused: . So what was the difference? The LENGTH of the gold\silver connector. I lined them up side by side under a light, and lo and behold, the 4th cheap one was slight shorter, and it allowed it to sit snugly and "snap" into the phone, and would not pop out under movement, the other 3 pairs were ever so slightly longer. So my solution? Metal nail file, and take down a little bit of the tip, which lets the plug sit all the way in. Be careful not do damage your connector on your headphones. Or you could just buy another pair and make sure it's not too long (the connector tip). Hope this helps some of you folk out there.

That makes sense. I was wondering, because I use my headphones almost everyday in and out of my pocket and have never had it be anything but rock solid. And I did pay only $20 for them. Good job on the excellant research!

^ Shift Faced

Reactions: sdk234

dir_d

Feb 20, 2010
Im having this same exact issue with my Koss KSC-45 headphones. Havent figured out a solution yet.

whiteyonenh

Jul 28, 2009
Keene, NH
Had headphone issues with the blue/black htc branded case that sprint sells and my sony studio monitors, ended up that the opening on the case wasn't large enough and wouldn't allow the headphones to insert fully into the jack. 15 mins with the backside of the case removed and a pocket knife, and back in business.

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA App

ng12345

Jan 19, 2009
Anyone know of specific headphone brands that work?

I need a wire to connect to the Auxillary input on my car, and the one I have must have this problem -- haven't tried filing the tip.

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
Spot on :p . Was once in a while having an issue like this. Read your post. Took out all my headphones ( about 8 pairs, don't ask ) and compared them. Low and behold almost all the cheap pairs were shorter. Nice job on a cheap and smart solution to an annoying problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay,

Okay,

That makes sense. I was wondering, because I use my headphones almost everyday in and out of my pocket and have never had it be anything but rock solid. And I did pay only $20 for them. Good job on the excellant research!

^ Shift Faced