FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOWTO] ubuntu Soft Root Nexus One 2.2.1 FRG83D

23 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By anthortic, Junior Member on 13th February 2011, 01:51 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This guide is for people who want root but want to keep their stock rom, not breaking the warranty, unlocking bootloader etc.

A proud ubuntu user, I am writing this in a new thread purely because the manual rageagainstthecage method and SuperOneClick method did not not work for me, see link to my conclusion below if you care

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2526

What did work however was via adb shell using psneuter and its fairly simple if you follow the following commands.

This guide assumes you know how to get access to the shell via adb, if you dont then search elsewhere.

OK lets get to business!

1. Download the attached nexus_one_softroot.tar from the bottom of this post and extract contents to the same folder as adb

2. Open up your terminal, cd to the same folder as adb and the extracted files

3. Enter the following commands:

Code:
sudo ./adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp/psneuter
sudo ./adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
sudo ./adb push su /data/local/tmp/su
sudo ./adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/psneuter
sudo ./adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox
sudo ./adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/su
sudo ./adb shell
After this you should see only a $ which tells us that we at the android command line with user privileges only, lets continue

Code:
$ cd /data/local/tmp
$ ls
busybox
su
psneuter
$ ./psneuter
property service neutered.
killing adbd. (should restart in a second or two)
You will now be kicked out of android shell, lets go back in

Code:
sudo ./adb shell
After this you should see only a # which tells us that we root baby! If you want to double check issue this command

Code:
# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
Lets continue on. From this point we will install busybox and su which will make root permanent

Code:
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
# cd /data/local/tmp
# ./busybox cp busybox /system/bin
# chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
# busybox cp su /system/bin
# chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
# exit
For some reason I sometimes have to enter exit twice to leave the android shell. Again, re-access the android shell

Code:
sudo ./adb shell
Now in the android shell we can finish up

Code:
# su
# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
# exit
# exit
Lastly we must install Superuser, and I did this from the android market so I knew its the latest version, its simple to get, less command input etc.

Now you have root! I hope this was simple enough to follow, I have not really written a guide before but from lots of searching I just could not find a solution for my Nexus One 2.2.1 FRG83D, especially any guide that uses psneuter.

Anyway, glad to contribute

EDIT - also, being new to starting threads, this may not quite be in the right section of the forum, sorry if thats the case mods
Attached Files
File Type: tar nexus_one_softroot.tar - [Click for QR Code] (1.60 MB, 121 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthortic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift anthortic Ad-Free

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)