Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

[APP] New WP7 Android Launcher project

47 posts
Thanks Meter: 19

By moky2008, Member on 18th February 2011, 12:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
UPDATE

For personal and financial reasons I'll temporarily discontinue uploading new releases of the 7Launcher project.

The launcher is not dead!! It will either be incorporated in the WP7Android Project or it will go payed/donate on the market in the near future.

I'am working on new features and and improved overall stability/quality. Already implemented Live folders & tiles, improved stability and drag&drop mechanism. When it will be re-released will have social network tiles, contact tiles&live folders and more live tiles.

A big THANK YOU to all that took an interest and tested this project and my apologies to those who still love the 7Launcher.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys.

Not so long ago I've tested some WP7 Roms and I must say... I was quite impressed with the new windows mobile looks and feel. Simple, elegant and yet functional (didn't expect that from Microsoft ). Of course it will still be a while for the first daily usable WP7 Roms (battery life is crap) and quite frankly the only thing i'am not happy with in current Android builds is the e-mail client. On that side, WP7 is even worse... I'mean fewer options that in the stock android client.

Anyway, like I've said before was quite impressed with the WP7 looks. I've searched a little and found some beta apps on the market that bring the WP7 launcher on the Android phones, but none of them worked quite right for me. So, I've decided to cook my own...

The app doesn't have to much features but I've built it for my own needs and taste.

Features (for long click on apps list or tiles):
- Pin/Unpin tiles
- Uninstall apps
- Exchange tiles position (just chose Move tile and then Move here)

Options:
- Change wallpaper (the launcher background is black, but it's useful for the lock screen wallpaper)
- Use built in icons for some apps or use default app icon on the tiles
- Change the tile color
- Reset tile color to default
- Chose between opaque and transparent background (uncheck this if you want to see the wallpaper)

The app seems stable enough for daily usage. Only tested it on my own HD2 and ADV emulator.

Landscape mode might not look so good on your display.

To replace the original launcher just clear the launcher cache and defaults then press home button and select this app.

Please let me know what you think.

Starting today the releases will have build numbers (ex. 01,02....)

21.03.2011 (beta 07-1) - quick notifications fix

21.03.2011 (beta 07) -Available now

* Added Drag & Drop support for re-arranging the tiles. Long Click on a tile, release and move around... Drop it over another tile to switch places, drag it outside the left screen border to remove it. Needs serious testing
* Added weather tiles background support. It's not as complicated as it might seem... just puts a picture under the weather info depending on the current conditions. I love the way the SlideShow tile looks like and made an improvement to the weather as well.
* other fixes

15.03.2011 (beta 06-1)

* Added SlideShow tile. Well, it may not be a slideshow but it randomly changes pictures from a given root. If u click on the right-top corner of the tile you get the picture preview.
* minor fixes to weather and launcher app

!! Important: I recommend clearing the launcher data before starting the new version. Until i find a way of modifying the db without a wipe. Please give feedback about stability

14.03.2011 (beta 06-0)
* Modifications to apps core
* Added the possibility to have multiple weather tiles with different locations (same update interval)
* Added StickyNotes - post-it like app & tile. Just add the tile on the tiles screen and click on it to change text
* You can use multiple post-its by adding a new instance of the app to the tile list. Each note's tile can have a different text which can only be modified by clicking the tile itself.
* Added 3d/shadow effect for tiles (not visible on default black background - see new Screenshoot)
* minor fixes to weather and launcher app

!! Important: I recommend clearing the launcher data before starting the new version. The new version uses a different method to keep track of tiles.

10.03.2011 (beta 05-2)
* Fixed weather tile and app (again ) Now it should update even in standby. The previous release didn't update data if the app/service was paused...

08.03.2011 (beta 05-1)
* Fixed weather tile and app
* Added night weather icons !! Be aware: because Google API doesn't provide Sunrise/Sunset info, the night mode is set between 11PM - 5 AM
* Made some modifications to tile notifications

07.03.2011 (beta release 05)
* Rewritten UI redraw procedures to support double tiles
* The landscape mode has 4 columns instead of 3
* Option to disable auto-rotation
* Added live weather tile - to use the tile install the Weather app, add it to tile screen and activate the service form the menu. The life tile config and forecasts are done in the Weather app. If u don't install the Weather app you'll get stuck with my home city forecast and 1h update interval!!
* Other minor fixes

!! Please report any UI bugs attaching a screenshot of the problem. Some users may experience text display problems. I'am having a hard time to adjust the font size because the default varies from build to build.

25.02.2011 (beta release 04)
* Added the option to change tile text color
* Added tile notifications for missed calls, messages, email (should work for stock mail) - disabled by default, you can enable it in
the More menu. Needs testing!!
* Other minor fixes

24.02.2011 (beta release 03)
* Added some eye candy animation to tile redraw (tell me if you like it)
* Some minor fixes

23.02.2011 (beta release 02)
* Added the possibility to theme the tile icons. How does this work? Well, it may not seem like much but i like to keep things simple. The app adds a WPL folder on your SD card. Inside you'll find a folder named Themes.
To make your own theme, just create a sub folder in the <Themes> directory and name it as you wish. This will be your theme folder. Now add icons to the folder.

Important Notes!!!
- The icons must be named like this: tile_<app name>, where <app name> is the application you want to use a custom tile icon for.
- The icons are 175x175 transparent PNG files (didn't test for other sizes... might work, might not)
- The <app name> is case sensitive. Ex if you want to replace the tile icon for calculator then <app name> = Calculator => /sdcard/WPL/Themes/<Your theme>/tile_Calculator.png

18.02.2011 (beta release 01)

* Implemented the auto-rotation. Now the app auto rotates on a custom procedure. Might not work well for everyone (awaiting feedback)
* Modified the transparent background method. Now you have the system wallpaper, even if it's a live wallpaper!
* Added new color picker (full spectrum). A big thank you to Yougly for posting his code (http://www.yougli.net/android/a-phot...d-application/)
* Added the possibility to change apps list text color
* Lowered the Min SDK req to 8 (let me know if it works). Warning: some features might not be available in older SKD's.
* Some other fixes..

PS: Be aware!!! It's my first Android app... I'am not responsible for any damage or problems you may incounter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weather_tile.jpg
Views:	7529
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	535989   Click image for larger version

Name:	multiple_tiles_shadow.jpg
Views:	4189
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	542230   Click image for larger version

Name:	WPA_slideShow.jpg
Views:	4177
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	543938  
Attached Files
File Type: 7z Theme_sample_Gnome.7z - [Click for QR Code] (382.5 KB, 5913 views)
File Type: apk Weather_06-1.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.07 MB, 5672 views)
File Type: apk SlideShow_01.apk - [Click for QR Code] (67.4 KB, 4129 views)
File Type: apk StickyNotes_02-1.apk - [Click for QR Code] (10.2 KB, 3463 views)
File Type: apk WPA_07-1.apk - [Click for QR Code] (3.70 MB, 9568 views)
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to moky2008 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift moky2008 Ad-Free

18th February 2011, 02:40 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
looking good, downloading...
18th February 2011, 02:48 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Sorry, somebody already did it:

http://pt.appbrain.com/app/metro-ui-...metroui.stable
18th February 2011, 02:59 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundSurfer

Sorry, somebody already did it:

http://pt.appbrain.com/app/metro-ui-...metroui.stable

Like i said in the initial post mate... there are two apps on the market that i know of, but didn't liked them.

This is my own implementation.
18th February 2011, 03:07 PM |#5  
Flag Poznań
Thanks Meter: 39

More
I'm looking forward to what this project will become! If you manage to capture look, feel & smoothness of WP7 home screen on Android, then you're app will be brilliant. And with extra options (and high quality) it can even be oponent to LauncherPro or ADW.Launcher!
18th February 2011, 04:33 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
very cool ! haha ...
Thank you so much!
19th February 2011, 03:17 PM |#7  
Flag BrasoV
Thanks Meter: 344

Donate to Me
More
doesn't install for me
19th February 2011, 06:12 PM |#8  
Flag Ústecko
Thanks Meter: 20

More
works like a charm, also the behaviour is almost same as WP7. really like it, and I'm looking forward for next releases
19th February 2011, 07:02 PM |#9  
Flag BrasoV

Donate to Me
More
Apps count: 1
Apps source: C:\Program Files (x86)\Android Commander\temp

Starting operation...

Installing app: w7Launcher.apk
pkg: /data/local/tmp/w7Launcher.apk

Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK]

714 KB/s (496653 bytes in 0.679s)

*** Operation complete! ***
19th February 2011, 07:53 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by criszz

Apps count: 1
Apps source: C:\Program Files (x86)\Android Commander\temp

Starting operation...

Installing app: w7Launcher.apk
pkg: /data/local/tmp/w7Launcher.apk

Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK]

714 KB/s (496653 bytes in 0.679s)

*** Operation complete! ***

Sorry about that... I forgot to mention that is compiled for v9 (Ginger). I'l have a look to see if i can do anything about it.
19th February 2011, 07:57 PM |#11  
Flag BrasoV

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moky2008

Sorry about that... I forgot to mention that is compiled for v9 (Ginger). I'l have a look to see if i can do anything about it.

oh , ok then i will wait for new version. an app like this is a great ideea.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, beta, launcher, wp7

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)