FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM] Inspire 4G Stock Rom w/Root, HSUPA, and Sideloading

52 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By angelchen1111, Member on 23rd February 2011, 06:59 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Last updated 2/28/2011

This is a pure stock rom with root+hsupa+sideload.

Warning: the following steps to flash the rom will wipe your data.

- Use HTC Inspire Hack Kit or some other way to get S-off so that you can flash custom roms.
- Download the rom, rename it to PD98IMG.zip, put it to the sdcard.
- Go to Settings -> Applications, turn off fast boot and then power down the phone.
- Boot into hboot by pressing volume down + power button and flash.

After flashing you should have a pure stock rom rooted, with hsupa on, and sideloading as an option. I don't have any problem with this rom while I got superuser permission, sideloading back on and noticed a higher upload speed.

Some people report to have problem with ClockWorkMod recovery on the stock rom. You can try the suggestion from this thread.

Link for the ROM: http://www.multiupload.com/93I04ACXYU
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aboutphone.jpg
Views:	3868
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	529454   Click image for larger version

Name:	hsupa.jpg
Views:	4183
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	529455   Click image for larger version

Name:	sideloading.jpg
Views:	3128
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	529456  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to angelchen1111 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift angelchen1111 Ad-Free
23rd February 2011, 07:00 AM |#2  
OP Member

More
--------------------------------

Below are the steps that I took to made this rom, you can ignore it if you are not interested into know how to cook system.img or hack a rom.

I basically added the root files to the system.img and change ro.ril.hsxpa=1 inside of the build.prop file to ro.ril.hsxpa=3 to make hsupa work, edit the customize/CID/default.xml file and change <item name="unknown_sources_visibility">false</item> to <item name="unknown_sources_visibility">true</item> to enable the sideloading option in settings, no need to flash any custom radio or kernel.

Here's how to do it:
- Download the RUU for the stock rom.
- Open the RUU you downloaded, wait for the screen that says Welcome to the Rom Update Utility to come out, but don't flash yet!
- Navigate to the temporary folder and locate rom.zip, which is a file that the installer extracted. I found it by navigating the folder with the most recent Date modified.
- Copy rom.zip to some other folder. This is the zip file which you can use on the phone to flash back to stock.
- Extract android-info.txt and system.img from rom.zip and put system.img in a place where Linux can access.

Right now for the cooking part linux is required. I used Ubuntu to do it.
Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/system
sudo mount -o loop,norelatime /path to/system.img /mnt/system
Code:
nano /mnt/system/build.prop
update ro.ril.hsxpa to 3 to enable hsupa

You also need the root files busybox, su, and Superuser.apk, which can be found at ace-hack-kit-v002/tools/root

Code:
sudo

cp /path to root files/busybox /mnt/system/xbin/busybox
chmod 4755 /mnt/system/xbin/busybox

cp /path to root files/Superuser.apk /mnt/system/app/Superuser.apk
chmod 644 /mnt/system/app/Superuser.apk
cp /path to root files/su /mnt/system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /mnt/system/bin/su

nano /mnt/system/customize/CID/default.xml
(update <item name="unknown_sources_visibility">false</item> to <item name="unknown_sources_visibility">true</item> to enable the sideloading option in the menu.)

umount /mnt/system
Right now you have a cooked system.img

- extract all files from rom.zip, replace system.img with the one we just cooked, then put all the files back to a new zip named PD98IMG.zip.

--------------------------------
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angelchen1111 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift angelchen1111 Ad-Free
23rd February 2011, 07:22 AM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Gallipolis
Thanks Meter: 1,444

Donate to Me
More
Couldn't you post your cooked PD98IMG.zip for us? Shouldn't it work for all Inspire devices if it was taken from the official RUU?
23rd February 2011, 07:35 AM |#4  
OP Member

More
it is very big, hold down. The phone needs to be S-off first in order to flash.
23rd February 2011, 07:49 AM |#5  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Gallipolis
Thanks Meter: 1,444

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelchen1111

it is very big, hold down. The phone needs to be S-off first in order to flash.

Yeah... but you should still be able to post it. That would be a WHOLE lot easier than every one of us making the exact same file when we could just flash the one you made. Make sense?

If you want to share, try uploading it to multiupload.com
23rd February 2011, 08:19 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Here's the link [removed]. Revert back to stock after being S-off to flash it. Also flashing system.img seem to factory reset the phone, so back up your data inside of your phone if any before flashing.
23rd February 2011, 11:26 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
I just tried it and it did give me root access. Upload speeds are still crappy for me. It was worth the time just for root access. Thanks!
23rd February 2011, 12:05 PM |#9  
Flag Greenville SC
Thanks Meter: 2,696

Donate to Me
More
so let me ask a question. If someone were to use temp root with say visionary, can S-off be set from there without a gold card?
23rd February 2011, 04:00 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelchen1111

I found a way to enable hsupa and root the phone on the stock rom by "cooking" system.img from the stock rom and flash it over after the phone has been S-off and returned to stock.
I basically added the root files to the system.img and change ro.ril.hsxpa=1 inside of the build.prop file to ro.ril.hsxpa=3 to make hsupa work, no need to flash any custom radio or kernel.

Here's how to did it (this still looks kind like rough draft, I don't know if someone can help me to edit this to make it better or if I can put it up to wiki):
- use HTC Inspire Hack Kit or some other way to get S-off so that you can flash custom roms.
- Download the RUU for the stock rom.
- Open the RUU you downloaded, wait for the screen that says Welcome to the Rom Update Utility to come out, but don't flash yet!
- Navigate to the temporary folder and locate rom.zip, which is a file that the installer extracted. I found it by navigating the folder with the most recent Date modified.
- Copy rom.zip to some other folder. This is the zip file which you can use on the phone to flash back to stock.
- After done copying rom.zip proceed with RUU to flash back to stock.
- Extract android-info.txt and system.img from rom.zip and put system.img in a place where Linux can access.

Right now for the cooking part linux is required. I used Ubuntu to do it.

Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/system
sudo mount -o loop,norelatime /path to/system.img /mnt/system
use an editor to edit /mnt/system/build.prop and update ro.ril.hsxpa to 3 to enable hsupa

You also need the root files busybox, su, and Superuser.apk, which can be found at ace-hack-kit-v002/tools/root

Code:
sudo

cp /path to root files/busybox /mnt/system/xbin/busybox
chmod 4755 /mnt/system/xbin/busybox

cp /path to root files/Superuser.apk /mnt/system/app/Superuser.apk
chmod 644 /mnt/system/app/Superuser.apk
cp /path to root files/su /mnt/system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /mnt/system/bin/su

umount /mnt/system
Right now you have a cooked system.img

put android-info.txt and the cooked system.img to a zip named PD98IMG.zip and put it to the sd card.

boot into hboot by pressing volume down and power button and flash.

After flashing you should have a pure stock rom rooted and with hsupa on. I don't have any problem with this rom while I got superuser permission and noticed a higher upload speed.

The install was fine and i have not had any fc yet. the only problem that i have is that i cant install non market apps. any suggestions on how to allow restore from titanium backup?
23rd February 2011, 04:37 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmercyst

The install was fine and i have not had any fc yet. the only problem that i have is that i cant install non market apps. any suggestions on how to allow restore from titanium backup?

Once it is rooted, it is trivial to enable sideloading.

Code:
adb shell
su
busybox cp /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db /sdcard/settings.db
exit
exit
adb pull /sdcard/settings.db settings.db
echo update secure set value = 1 where name = 'install_non_market_apps';|sqlite3 settings.db
adb push settings.db /sdcard/settings.db
adb shell
su
busybox cp /sdcard/settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
chown system.system /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
chmod 660 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
exit
exit
After thar reboot and you should have sideloading
if it says command not found, try to append busybox in front of the commands.
The Following User Says Thank You to angelchen1111 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift angelchen1111 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)