FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Tutorial] How To Restore Verizon Galaxy Tab Back To Stock

476 posts
Thanks Meter: 41

By chaos67731, Senior Member on 24th February 2011, 07:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
If you are here the odds are you are looking to take your Verzion Galaxy Tab back to the default setup for one reason or another.

Here are the steps you will need to take.

First let's make sure you have all the files and things are set up for this.
Hemdall

Download Heimdall from HERE, this is the program you are going to use to flash the needed files to your Galaxy Tab. I am putting the version I use on my sever just in case.

But here is a link to the developers page so you can download the original if you want.

http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/

You will also need *Microsoft C++ This also needs installed on your machine because it has .dll files Heimdall uses. (I use Windows 7 and did not need to install this [I think])

Now you will need to install the drivers the is also needed for Heimdall. unzip heimdall and go into the drivers folder where you will see zadig.exe. Run this.

At the top you see options. Click "list all devices"
Then in the dropdown select Android USB composite device (or whatever it says). (NOT*mass*storage)

Click start and let heimdall download/install the drivers.
Files You Are Going To Flash To Your Tab
HERE is where you *are going to download the files needed to flash to you tab.* There are four files in total.

DOWNLOAD
  1. cache.rfs
  2. param.lfs
  3. system.rfs
  4. zImage

Ok, Let's get to flashing over the files and getting your tab back to normal.

1: Connect your tab to your PC

2: Launch your tab into download as it is already connected to your PC.*(Do this by holding the volume down and pushing the power button)

3: Go in to the folder " heimdall" and start " heimdall-frontend.exe"

4: Set up the files you are about to flash to the tab in side of heimdall.* It should look something like this.

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART!!!!!! DO NOT SCREW THIS UP - -* I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE!!

DO NOT EVER EVER EVER PUT ANYTHING IN ANY OTHER LOCATION. THESE ARE THE ONLY FILES YOU NEED.

1. zImage goes in both the Kernel AND Recovery slot.
  2. system.rfs goes in Factoryfs
  3. Param.lfs goes in Param.lfs
  4. cache goes in the cache slot.

5: After you have the files in place click start to flash. ALWAYS make sure your battery is sufficiently charged or you will have MAJOR problems. (I had to push start a few times.)
After this runs you will more than likely boot loop. Power down, wait a few seconds and hold power and up volume to boot into recovery.*(NOTE, do not hold power too long, just long enough to turn it on, then continue holding up volume till you see recovery. WIPE DATA AND CACHE. Tab should boot.

Note, if heimdall fails at the very beginning, just try unplugging and turning off the tab, close, and relaunch heimdall. it will eventually start. sometimes you just need the right combo of plugging in launching the*program.

After this is should be just like you took it out of the box, other than still having root access.

Hope this helps!

Aslo, I did not do any of the work here other than test it out and retype what is on this site to make it available to those on XDA and if you read my blog.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sam...tock-dj11.html

All credit should go to mike919 at droidforums.net for putting this together!!

You can view his post here.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sam...tock-dj11.html

Shameless Plug:
If this helped you out would you do me a favor and go to this site and vote/comment?

And pass it along to your friends as well.
Who Pees In The Shower?
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to chaos67731 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chaos67731 Ad-Free

28th February 2011, 02:31 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Las Vegas

Donate to Me
More
Hope this helps some people out around here!
28th February 2011, 05:09 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Thumbs up
This should be a sticky... Just Saying
28th February 2011, 10:13 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Las Vegas

Donate to Me
More
Thanks,
I tried to make sure I typed it as good as I could so people like me (mess things up often) would be able to pull it off and host all files I use so that nothing will change.

But I would like someone to look it over and make sure I did not miss something. We are all human after all.

And if there needs to be any other images people can think of to help more people out I will be more than happy to add them.
28th February 2011, 05:36 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
I cannot find ANY tuts like this for flashing roms, recovery, ect. You, my newfound friend, are the first. We need more exactly like this.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to kenfly For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kenfly Ad-Free
1st March 2011, 04:41 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
This is great stuff. I messed up a bunch of junk on my VZ galaxy tab and would like to go back to stock. Question about this guide: I've converted to ext4. Can I still follow the steps in this tutorial to return to stock or is there anything else that I need to do first? Thanks very much!
1st March 2011, 07:27 PM |#7  
Flag Home of the NE Patriots
Thanks Meter: 17

More
This post made even a retard like me dangerous enough to want to try flashing. Bump for the ext4 answer
1st March 2011, 09:16 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Buggs

This post made even a retard like me dangerous enough to want to try flashing. Bump for the ext4 answer

Took the plunge anyway. Seems to have worked. Great tutorial!
1st March 2011, 09:33 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Had previously used Koush's bootstrapper from the market to convert the file systems to ext4. Later tried to install KhasMek Voodoo Plus v3 kernel on my VZW tab and it nuked it (prob cause I did something wrong). Using these instructions, I got back to stock. Now to boot strap again and try, try again!

Thanks for the guide
1st March 2011, 10:20 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Las Vegas

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonixmunkee

Had previously used Koush's bootstrapper from the market to convert the file systems to ext4. Later tried to install KhasMek Voodoo Plus v3 kernel on my VZW tab and it nuked it (prob cause I did something wrong). Using these instructions, I got back to stock. Now to boot strap again and try, try again!

Thanks for the guide

Yeah, I think I get it wrong more than I get it right.
Last weekend I did this like 3 times in an hour.

Happy it is helping a few people out.
The Following User Says Thank You to chaos67731 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chaos67731 Ad-Free
1st March 2011, 10:21 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
chaos67731, I saw in another thread you were having a hard time getting Koush's boot strapper from the market to work. Did you ever get a resolution for that?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)