FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Send SMS Messages from tablet via Bluetooth via Android Phone

161 posts
Thanks Meter: 83

By jpfulton248, Senior Member on 1st March 2011, 04:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've googled and googled and only kinda found something similar but it's only in source code (don't know how to compile) and doesn't appear finished...

Is there an app that will allow me to send SMS messages using my tablet, which sends over bluetooth to my phone, which then sends the SMS message out into SMS land?

Thanks!

1st March 2011, 04:40 PM |#2  
Flag Gangtown
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Why to bother??? Use email to send SMS.
For instance if I need to send SMS to my phone using ANY computer (including G-tab), the way to do it is (Example for T-mobile): [email protected].
Where XXX-XXX-XXXX is your phone number.
I think it has to work with any provider, although @ part will differ from carrier to carrier.
Hope it helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tester30 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tester30 Ad-Free
1st March 2011, 04:47 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Detroit

More
I'm very familiar with that ability and you're right, that is one solution but not really one I'm looking for.

I'm really looking for an app for my tablet that is extremely similar to a standard sms app that will work off of my contacts list etc etc. Anyone else care to share their 2 cents?
1st March 2011, 04:48 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
(Assumes you're on a network and in USA)
Get a Google Voice Account and use the app to SMS.
1st March 2011, 05:08 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Detroit

More
Yep, another solution.

Anybody know of an app that does what I'm asking rather than just a workaround?

Example: ai.kittywolf.net/index.php/SMS_via_BlueTooth
1st March 2011, 05:31 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Yeah man, there are a bunch of solutions. I like the google voice idea.
1st March 2011, 05:51 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Detroit

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenbags

Yeah man, there are a bunch of solutions. I like the google voice idea.

Okay, right, so as I've specified I'm looking specifically for an app that specifically does sms via bluetooth via phone... this is not google voice and it's not email to sms...

Anybody have anything to add regard my specific question rather than something to do with a workaround?
1st March 2011, 09:15 PM |#8  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 121

More
Cool Just want to put this out there.
With Google Voice you can send SMS txt to your contacts for FREE!

No need for BT because you would use your wi-fi tether option on your android phone in the event you're not in an area where you can connect to the internet with out tethering to your phone.

1st March 2011, 09:19 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Detroit

More
Still not what I'm asking for but I appreciate the suggestion for google voice. My problem with google voice basically centers around the phone number. I would have to port my existing cell number to gv and get a new cell phone number (also $20 for the port). I don't want to get a new phone number and I don't really want to commit to the extent that i'm porting my beloved phone number to google.

All I want is an app... extremely simple concept and my guess is that the programming isn't terribly difficult...
3rd March 2011, 04:47 AM |#10  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 27

More
The response you are looking for is
NO!

The reason is no bluetooth DUN support in the gtab kernels. You always get a paired but not connected via bluetooth.

If you really want to use your phone you need to tether the gtab to the phone (plenty of options - search is the key), and then use handcent or similar.
The Following User Says Thank You to manikin13 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift manikin13 Ad-Free
3rd March 2011, 12:11 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Detroit

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by manikin13

The response you are looking for is
NO!

The reason is no bluetooth DUN support in the gtab kernels. You always get a paired but not connected via bluetooth.

If you really want to use your phone you need to tether the gtab to the phone (plenty of options - search is the key), and then use handcent or similar.

Thanks for you help.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)