FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Nexus One Solution"failed to verify whole-file signature"when updating to gingerbread

21 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By newhere, Junior Member on 2nd March 2011, 08:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Important Notice :
Do this at YOUR OWN RISK, I don't give any guaranty if something happened to your phone , also store all of your data and memorize all of your previous apps

Hi Guys,

I had this problem and it made me mad cause i was so exited to run gingerbread on my Nexus one(THIS SOLUTION WORKS FOR UNROOTED DEVICES)

PLEASE BACKUP FIRST CAUSE NOT ALL THE DATA WILL BE RESTORED USING YOUR GOOGLE ACCOUNT .... SO PLZ BACKUP BEFORE DOING ANY STEPS

The solution of this problem is long but it is worth it and it is totally safe:

"Through the steps to know the current version you are at : just go to settings ===> about phone "

First Step:
You will have to go to the stock rom(without any google updates) using passimg.zip

Code:
Android Version: 2.2
Baseband Version: 32.41.00.32U_5.08.00.04
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-27237-gbe746fb
[email protected] #1
Build Number: FRG33
After You finish this step the mobile is like the new one from the factory, It will ask you to provide the gmail account but don't do it this time just skip it , you will enter it once at last when gingerbread is on your device

Second Step:
after that you will update (using update.zip method) using the second link rename the file 656099b119f8.signed-passion-ota-102588.656099b1.zip to update.zip (thanks to efrant)

After the gingerbread update , it is recommend to do a factory reset : setting ==> Privacy ==> Factory Reset
When the device restarts just enter your google account and all your apps should be restored ( you will find a notification telling you x applications restored )

Et Voila it is done

Code:
Android Version: 2.3.3
Baseband Version: 32.41.00.32U_5.08.00.04
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-59423-g08607d74
[email protected] #1
Build Number: GRI40

ADDITIONAL information for people who don't know to use passim.zip and update.zip

1-passimg.zip

a-Download the Passion_Google_WWE_2.16.1700.1_FRG33_MFG_Shipment_ ROM.z
ip link ( 1st link)

b-Rename the file to passimg.zip ( in windows take care of renaming it passimg.zip.zip)

c-copy it into the root of your SD card

d-turn of your phone

e-Press and hold the power button + vol. down button until a white screen showing android buddies skating at the bottom appears

f- the phone will automatically read the passimg.zip ( will load and then check it) after it is check it will ask you to press volume up to confirm the updates

g-the device will reboot then go to the SD card and DELETE THE PASSIMG.IMG file
then it is done

2-update.zip

a- download the corresponding update file from the steps above
b- rename the file to update.zip( again in windows take care of the update.zip.zip rename problem)
c- copy the file to the root of your SD card
d- turn off the phone
e-Press and hold the power button + vol. down button until a white screen showing android buddies skating at the bottom appears
f-wait for 4 sec. the using the volume down and up buttons to go up and down go the RECOVERY and then press the power button to select
g-it will load the nexus logo then will show the android buddy with an exclamation mark .... press power button + volume up button
h-choose using the trackball the apply SD card:update.zip option
the phone will go through some process verifying package... verifying software version and the end the phone will restart to finish the update ( Notice: in some updates it doesn't restart automatically so just choose the "reboot system now" option)

i- AFTER THE PHONE RESTART ALWAYS REMEMBER TO DELETE THE OLD UPDATE.ZIP FILE TO PUT THE NEW ONE FOR THE NEXT UPDATE according to the above steps

Hope this post is helpful for some people and if there is any missing steps or mistakes i would like if someone help me with an advice

Download links:(only the link of the stock rom i had to upload it cause it isn't available anymore on the google servers)

-stock ROM "FRG33"==> http://www.multiupload.com/NTA9DANZGC
-from FRG33 to GRI40 ==> http://android.clients.google.com/pa...8.656099b1.zip (thanks to efrant)

-Update FRG33 to FRG83 ==>http://android.clients.google.com/pa...5.766a101a.zip
-Update FRG83 to FRG83D ==> http://android.clients.google.com/pa...3.ecb21b75.zip
-Update FRG83D to FRG83G ==> http://android.clients.google.com/pa...D.2854b06b.zip
-Update FRG83G to GRI40 ==>http://android.clients.google.com/pa...G.81304b2d.zip

2nd March 2011, 11:35 AM |#2  
Developers Relations / Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 11,450

Donate to Me
More
Your "second step", parts 1, 2, 3, 4 can be simplified into one step. This file: http://android.clients.google.com/pa...8.656099b1.zip updates FRG33 to GRI40, and it is also mentioned in the sticky...
The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift efrant Ad-Free
2nd March 2011, 01:24 PM |#3  
amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

1.f- the phone will automatically read the passimg.zip ( will load and then check it) after it is check it will ask you to press volume up to confirm the updates

no question here, tried it twice and waited 5 min!

FRG83D Vodafone NL
2nd March 2011, 11:10 PM |#4  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 32

Donate to Me
More
Root Nexus One 2.3.3 without unlock the Boatloader

Please can you explain to us step by step how to root Nexus One with Gingerbread 2.3.3 installed?

I rooted my phone using Superoneclick 1.65 before before the the Gingerbread update and I was happt using the MIUI roms but I have unroot to install 2.3.3, I didn't like it and wanted to go back to MIUI again but Superoneclick doesn't work anymore...please help
2nd March 2011, 11:15 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaagGeest

FRG83D Vodafone NL

I have the same issue on Nexus One with FRG83D
2nd March 2011, 11:35 PM |#6  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 316

More
Try with this file...
http://db.tt/1Swvw7Z

Just put it on your sd (not in any folder), and boot into the bootloader...

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to danger-rat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift danger-rat Ad-Free
3rd March 2011, 12:45 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Cairo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaagGeest

FRG83D Vodafone NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by webceo

what exactly happened??

does it show ( " checking passimg.zip")

you should download the first link ... then rename the file to passimg.zip
turn off the device and open it using vol down + power button

and leave it for a while in the Hboot menu it will automatically load the passimg.zip file ... you will see it checking and loading it ... after that you will get the question about do u want to update? then you will press the vol up button
3rd March 2011, 12:50 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member
Flag Cairo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalach

Root Nexus One 2.3.3 without unlock the Boatloader

Please can you explain to us step by step how to root Nexus One with Gingerbread 2.3.3 installed?

I rooted my phone using Superoneclick 1.65 before before the the Gingerbread update and I was happt using the MIUI roms but I have unroot to install 2.3.3, I didn't like it and wanted to go back to MIUI again but Superoneclick doesn't work anymore...please help

I haven't rooted it yet, i am using the unrooted till now

Once i will try i will post steps ... but i think one of the people ( who is more expert that me in android) will post it first

I recommend you to check for couple of day
3rd March 2011, 07:39 AM |#9  
amsterdam

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhere

what exactly happened??

does it show ( " checking passimg.zip")

you should download the first link ... then rename the file to passimg.zip
turn off the device and open it using vol down + power button

and leave it for a while in the Hboot menu it will automatically load the passimg.zip file ... you will see it checking and loading it ... after that you will get the question about do u want to update? then you will press the vol up button

Yes, did put it in my sd root.

It will load automaticaly, it checks it(with the loader bar on the right, then in a differrent screen it will load it. Then within 30 seconds i'm back at the first screen. And nothings happens.

@dangerrat is it the same version?
3rd March 2011, 08:57 AM |#10  
Flag Gdynia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by webceo

I have same problem. In my opinion problem is with special kernel from Vodafone. See it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=933126

After many hours fighting with my N1 I give up and unlocked bootloader. After that I make update using fastboot without any problem. Now I have 2.3.3
3rd March 2011, 09:44 AM |#11  
amsterdam

More
The new Passimg did the trick!

Automatically updated the passimg.

Reboot

updated the update.zip.

Now running 2.3!

From branded dutch vodafone to 2.3!!

Many thnx!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread