FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] [i9000 problem]Q about shared preference

24 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By feny_lf, Junior Member on 3rd March 2011, 07:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I9000 moves the shared preferences to /dbdata/databases/[PACKAGE_NAME]/shared_prefs/[PACKAGE_NAME]_preferences.xml
For other mainstream devices, shared preferences are in /data/data/[ PACKAGE_NAME]/shared_prefs/[PACKAGE_NAME]_ preferences.xml

Everytime, when I uninstalled the application (my own or some other 3rd party's) in i9000, I found that the shared preferences won't be removed. It still exists in /dbdata/databases/...

this will lead to some serious problem: for example, I'm developing some app, and changing the shared perferences structure. when I debuged it (reinstalling, reinstalling the apps, finally I found my shared preference cannot save my configuration. everytime rebooting i9000, the configuration will be reset to the default value. When I change the configuration in UI and then look into the shard_pref xml, it never changes. The root cause is the existing xml is the old one. maybe UID even mismatched.

Is there any patch from Samsung to uninstall the apps completely?
we need remove not only the ones in /data/data but also the ones in /dbdata/databases/.
... Samsung, why do those vendors customize the phone so much?

3rd March 2011, 01:20 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member

More
no comments?
3rd March 2011, 01:35 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Interesting.
I have never heard of that (or a patch for that) before. But if I think about it... I am no unix expert but shouldn't you be able to mount /dbdata/databases/ into /data/data/ ? As long as the deinstallation routine has not been changed this could work^^

Edit:
Oh dear, I took a look, you're right thats really strange. I thought everything was relocated by samsung. It's not. My statement above is useless
3rd March 2011, 03:02 PM |#4  
Flag Somewhere in the west
Thanks Meter: 307

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by feny_lf

I9000 moves the shared preferences to /dbdata/databases/[PACKAGE_NAME]/shared_prefs/[PACKAGE_NAME]_preferences.xml
For other mainstream devices, shared preferences are in /data/data/[ PACKAGE_NAME]/shared_prefs/[PACKAGE_NAME]_ preferences.xml

Everytime, when I uninstalled the application (my own or some other 3rd party's) in i9000, I found that the shared preferences won't be removed. It still exists in /dbdata/databases/...

this will lead to some serious problem: for example, I'm developing some app, and changing the shared perferences structure. when I debuged it (reinstalling, reinstalling the apps, finally I found my shared preference cannot save my configuration. everytime rebooting i9000, the configuration will be reset to the default value. When I change the configuration in UI and then look into the shard_pref xml, it never changes. The root cause is the existing xml is the old one. maybe UID even mismatched.

Is there any patch from Samsung to uninstall the apps completely?
we need remove not only the ones in /data/data but also the ones in /dbdata/databases/.
... Samsung, why do those vendors customize the phone so much?

Yes it's the sammy's "lagfix" since 2.2.1.

Uninstall apps with Titanium, it clears everything ! That's the only way i find (apart manual method...)
3rd March 2011, 03:46 PM |#5  
Flag Hubli
Thanks Meter: 159

More
Can you give a symbolic link?
3rd March 2011, 06:18 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 5,933

More
, why do those vendors customize the phone so much?

Same reason as users customize their phones .

jje
4th March 2011, 01:12 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiwiPouPou

Yes it's the sammy's "lagfix" since 2.2.1.

Uninstall apps with Titanium, it clears everything ! That's the only way i find (apart manual method...)

Sammy's lagfix? Do you mean there's no problem prior to 2.2.1?

My i9000 is 2.2.1 now, I don't have chance to check the previous versions....
20th March 2011, 10:49 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 32

Donate to Me
More
This is a serious bug.

I have encountered this too and it makes the SharedPreferences completely useless.

Uninstalling and the re-installing an app will cause the app to never be able to change preferences again!

Is there a workaround for this that we can code in our apps?
22nd March 2011, 05:44 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I also experience this problem. Is there really no fix to this. Its damn irritating when I'm developing my app.
29th March 2011, 09:05 AM |#10  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,995

More
I have recently found out about this too.
I started an app to deal with this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=12483276
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)