FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

"Application not installed"

657 posts
Thanks Meter: 79

By maxh, Senior Member on 15th March 2011, 06:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I don't know when this started happening, but I can no longer install apps. When I try to install an apk from the sd card, I click install and it immediately gives the error message "Application not installed."

I was having problems installing apps from the market, as well, and read a post that suggested unmounting the sd card first, then trying to install the app from the market. This does work. However, I can't very well unmount the sd card then install an apk from it...

I did use adb to change the default install location to the sd card awhile back, but I just reset it to 0 (automatic) and I still get the same error message. I have plenty of room on both the phone and the card.

What's wrong?

15th March 2011, 11:11 AM |#2  
Flag Hanford
Thanks Meter: 27

More
This very well may be a different issue altogether, but some phones that have done this in the past have just required a cache clear in the market. Just go settings > applications > market > clear cache

Again, probably something else, but have seen this issue in alot of different android phones.

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App
16th March 2011, 06:27 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Exactly same for me from today (maybe yesterday). HTC Desire, original ROM. WTF? I was already thinking about virus, but probobly its stupid idea. What's going on?
I cannot install apps from SD nor from Market.
18th March 2011, 06:35 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I had an issue with this too kept getting "unknown reason 18" put new SD card in and no problems since

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA Premium App
18th March 2011, 12:41 PM |#5  
Flag Philly Suburbs
Thanks Meter: 76

More
Yea, your sd card is dead. A new one will fix the issue.

Sent from my Nexus One
18th March 2011, 03:11 PM |#6  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 316

More
It's probably not a dead sd card, but more likely to be a single file.

You need to delete smdl2tmp1.asec from the .android-secure folder on the sd. You can't see this file with an on phone file manager, so you either have to use terminal emulator, or connect to a pc..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danger-rat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift danger-rat Ad-Free
18th March 2011, 07:22 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger-rat

It's probably not a dead sd card, but more likely to be a single file.

You need to delete smdl2tmp1.asec from the .android-secure folder on the sd. You can't see this file with an on phone file manager, so you either have to use terminal emulator, or connect to a pc..

Thank you so much! This solved it for me.
22nd March 2011, 04:44 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thank you, thank you, thank you. It works now.
11th June 2011, 08:04 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
i too have same prob. unable to installed apk files it says "application not installed", i tried by marking "allow installation of non market applicaiton" but didnt worked. Also, my .android-secure folder on the sd is empty still i am unable to install apps..

i am using floyo 0.15
11th June 2011, 08:49 PM |#10  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 316

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by atul146

i too have same prob. unable to installed apk files it says "application not installed", i tried by marking "allow installation of non market applicaiton" but didnt worked. Also, my .android-secure folder on the sd is empty still i am unable to install apps..

How are you looking at the .android-secure folder because as stated earlier, you cannot see the contents from the phone, you have to mount to a PC...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)