FORUMS

USB Tethering on Linux problem solved

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By pmugabi, Junior Member on 17th March 2011, 05:56 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've had an issue tethering my WinMo 6.5 Energy ROM on an HTC Fuze with Linux. The connection itself was fine but browsing was flaky. Some sites worked while others did not.
I finally tracked it down to an MTU problem. You basically need to reduce your MTU size to get it to work (the lower the MTU size, the more packet overhead and hence lower effective throughput). The default MTU size was 1478, reducing it to 1200 solved the issues I was having. If your phone is connected as eth1, the command to change it is:

ifconfig eth1 mtu 1200
The Following User Says Thank You to pmugabi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pmugabi Ad-Free
20th March 2011, 07:03 AM |#2  
Account currently disabled
Flag NEW YORK
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmugabi

I've had an issue tethering my WinMo 6.5 Energy ROM on an HTC Fuze with Linux. The connection itself was fine but browsing was flaky. Some sites worked while others did not.
I finally tracked it down to an MTU problem. You basically need to reduce your MTU size to get it to work (the lower the MTU size, the more packet overhead and hence lower effective throughput). The default MTU size was 1478, reducing it to 1200 solved the issues I was having. If your phone is connected as eth1, the command to change it is:

ifconfig eth1 mtu 1200

thank it works

taker2
21st March 2011, 08:32 AM |#3  
Flag Delhi

Donate to Me
More
glad it help !!
2nd April 2011, 06:31 PM |#4  

More