FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Samsung Galaxy S - PhoneSetupWizard.apk Help (crash loop)

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By buzzy388, Junior Member on 18th March 2011, 02:08 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move if it isnt

OK so I done the official 2.2.1 update via kies (PDA:JS5 Phone:JPY CSC:JS4) once my phone booted back up I was greeted with the PhoneSetupWizard.

Once I click finish I get
"PhoneSetupWizard (process com.sec.android.app.phonesetupwizard) has stopped unexpectedly."
and after I click the only option force closing it, it makes me restart the wizard all over again.

So my initial thought was it was just an error during update so I flashed I9000BOJS5 firmware and same thing happened.

I can still receive calls and texts and reply to them but cant minimize the wizard, I can however hold down the home key and get to the task manager and "End" the wizard but it just reappears and I can get to the notification bar.

All I can think of doing is to remove the PhoneSetupWizard.apk

Now, I only see a few options ahead of me
1. Somehow turn on debug mode and uninstall the PhoneSetupWizard.apk with the android SDK.

2. Re-flash the phone with some modified files that do not include the PhoneSetupWizard.apk (if that is possible)

These are long shots - dont even know if they will work

-Flash to 2.1 use the bypass trick to get to settings and turn on debug mode, un-install the apk, and flash to 2.2.1 again.
youtube.com/watch?v=HBh5fUtlTIM&feature=related

-Root the phone using a update.zip and hopefully giving me root access while USB connected and remove the files from within windows.

-Flash a custom Rom and bypass the setupwizard.

From what I can tell the Phone is fully functional i just need to get past the Wizard crash loop.

(Don't know if this helps)
Samsung Galaxy S - T-Mobile - Sim locked
Have access to download mode and recovery mode
Windows 7 64bit

18th March 2011, 05:45 AM |#2  
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 56

Donate to Me
More
I had this problem when I didn't clean out my caches during a full re-install of a custom rom, can you get into anything to clear them, as in do you have CWM installed?

Or better still goto romkitchen.org and do a full stock custom and install that, if you have any worries beforehand about the residual data, then use this process

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=991792

This is the method I have USED to get me out of the sh!t a few times now
18th March 2011, 01:51 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 5,931

More
In the S"**ht i find that flash to stock Eclair via Odin with pit 512 and repartition checked followed by a flash to Froyo is often the best and quickest .
Thats when a simple flash to Froyo does not clear the problem .

jje
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bypass, delete, i9000bojs5, phonesetupwizard, remove

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)