FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[LWX49K&LDZ22D&LCA43] Rooting made easy

5,379 posts
Thanks Meter: 10,403

Post Reply Email Thread
I'm not believing my eyes just yet, but honestly...

Want root? Well, then I have some good news for you:

THERE IS NO REASON TO UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER TO ROOT YOUR SMARTWATCH 3!

The fastboot mode is available on locked bootloader...

And the best news I can come up with right now? It allows hot booting custom kernels!

Code:
~$ adb reboot bootloader
~$ fastboot oem unlock
(bootloader) : WARNING: Unlocking your device will void your warranty
(bootloader) : and erase your personal data from the device.
(bootloader) : Run "fastboot oem unlock" again to confirm.
(bootloader) : Device still locked. 
OKAY [  0.008s]
finished. total time: 0.008s
~$ fastboot reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.001s
~$ adb shell
shell@tetra:/ $ su
root@tetra:/ #
I can't believe it myself, but it's TRUE!

I have rooted my device using the TWRP from this thread, this is what I did:
  1. Made sure I had the developer options enabled;
  2. Enabled the ADB debugging option;
  3. Made sure the device accepted my PC as authorized;
  4. download the TWRP image from this thread (for 5.0.2) or from this post (for 5.1.1);
  5. Download Wear-SuperSU-v2.46.zip;
  6. adb reboot bootloader, saw it actually boot to fastboot... this is how I looked at that time: http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001...04_xlarge.jpeg;
  7. fastboot boot unofficial-twrp-2.8.3.0-tetra.img (incredibly I saw it boot TWRP! Well... this is like the face my colleagues where watching me pull at that moment: http://mcp53.files.wordpress.com/201...cked.jpg?w=500);
  8. adb push Wear-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /sdcard/ (installed the zip in recovery);
  9. Reboot to system from TWRP;
  10. Did root test;
  11. Was seriously gobsmacked.

I'm investigating the possibility to have recovery on the locked device right now, which is actually something I did for many Xperia Z series devices already
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [NUT] Ad-Free

13th May 2015, 01:03 PM |#2  
Flag France
Thanks Meter: 26

More
What can we make of new after this?
13th May 2015, 01:23 PM |#3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpatii

What can we make of new after this?

Well, the good thing is, you can have root while you won't lose your warranty. Because unlocking bootloader === lost warranty.

What else we can do, the sky is basically the limit... or, the resolution is, of course
The Following User Says Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [NUT] Ad-Free
13th May 2015, 01:31 PM |#4  
Flag France

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [NUT]

Well, the good thing is, you can have root while you won't lose your warranty. Because unlocking bootloader === lost warranty.

What else we can do, the sky is basically the limit... or, the resolution is, of course

Oh nice!
And with root in this Smartwatch, what do you think that we can make of more?
13th May 2015, 01:34 PM |#5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpatii

Oh nice!
And with root in this Smartwatch, what do you think that we can make of more?

Well, one of the things we might be able to do is create an app or a ROM modification, which will run on the phone smartwatch itself, allowing you access to the internal storage by USB cable, because that's not possible without a phone right now. Knowing Google, it was done by design, but it won't be hard to update the ROM to allow access to the internal storage through USB.

I'll be trying to get a recovery working on the device without overwriting the one in the recovery partition, which should then allow us to easily flash ROM modifications.
The Following User Says Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [NUT] Ad-Free
13th May 2015, 03:45 PM |#6  
Flag France

More
Quote:

Well, one of the things we might be able to do is create an app or a ROM modification, which will run on the phone smartwatch itself, allowing you access to the internal storage by USB cable, because that's not possible without a phone right now. Knowing Google, it was done by design, but it won't be hard to update the ROM to allow access to the internal storage through USB.

I'll be trying to get a recovery working on the device without overwriting the one in the recovery partition, which should then allow us to easily flash ROM modifications.

Oh yeah, it's would be nice!
Continue to share your discovery
15th May 2015, 09:20 AM |#7  
Flag JAIPUR
Thanks Meter: 1,133

More
Quote:

Dude Great to see you here, i am very excited now as our SW3 will go in right direction, i have Asked Jerpelea about the Development of SW3 and he said it will start soon.
Also its a request Plz make a custom Kernel for this watch to Calibrate the Colors saturation and Gamma as its same yellowish Display as Honami had.
The Following User Says Thank You to abbychauhan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift abbychauhan Ad-Free
16th May 2015, 09:37 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 318

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbychauhan

Dude Great to see you here, i am very excited now as our SW3 will go in right direction, i have Asked Jerpelea about the Development of SW3 and he said it will start soon.
Also its a request Plz make a custom Kernel for this watch to Calibrate the Colors saturation and Gamma as its same yellowish Display as Honami had.

+1

Sent from my Xperia Z3
12th August 2015, 01:19 AM |#9  
Flag Where I live?
Thanks Meter: 87

Donate to Me
More
Is there a way to unlock the kernel and all four cores in the processor on latest LDZ22D build for Smartwatch 3?
22nd August 2015, 12:40 AM |#10  
Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Chambéry
Thanks Meter: 5,095

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks for sharing your discovery!

I wrote an article that explores the bootloader vulnerability: http://spectrastudy.com/no-data-prot...-android-wear/
An Android Wear dev advocate at Google is now informed of it, it really should be fixed as it makes stealing data far too easy.
24th August 2015, 11:33 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 175

More
Quote:

Want root? Well, then I have some good news for you:

THERE IS NO REASON TO UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER TO ROOT YOUR SMARTWATCH 3!

The fastboot mode is available on locked bootloader...

And the best news I can come up with right now? It allows hot booting custom kernels!

Hi ive been trying to work this out above you said that there is away to root the watch on locked bootloader could you explain how? I can get into fastboot but theres no way to install TWRP on locked bootloader how would I flash the superuser zip on locked bootloader. Can it be done? Your method you explained is an unlocked bootloader method and with the stock recovery you can only sideload update.zips correct me if im wrong. Can you please explain the locked bootloader method??? Can it not be done on the latest build LCA43???
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)