FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[RECOVERY][Unofficial][tetra] TWRP 2.8.3.0 for Sony Smartwatch 3

130 posts
Thanks Meter: 113

By perpe, Senior Member on 28th December 2014, 07:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Unofficial TWRP 2.8.3.0 for Sony Smartwatch 3 (SWR50) (tetra)

If you don't know, what TWRP is then read http://teamw.in/project/twrp2 before flashing anything.
If you know, what TWRP is then read the disclaimer: use at your own risk, neither XDA, TeamWin nor I are responsible for anything bad and going wrong.

Installation Instruction
First of all you need adb and fastboot drivers and binaries installed on your PC. Grab them from the Android SDK, that suites to your PC's OS. Windows user may need the generic usb drivers. Linux users may need to start adb and fastboot with root rights, if they don't have the needed udev rules.

Unlock bootloader
If your bootloader isn't unlocked yet, then you have to unlock it. There are to ways to boot into the fastboot mode.
]1. way to boot into fastboot mode:
  • Turn off your device
  • Press and hold power button until the "Insert USB" animation appears
  • double press the power button to enter the boot menu. (you may need several attempts)
  • within the bootmenu press power once to navigate, twice to select. Press twice to boot into fastboot
  • now you can connect your watch with your PC.
2. way to boot into fastboot mode:
  • enable developer settings and ADB debugging from within the settings menu (you have to press 7 times the About->build number)
  • connect your watch with your PC. Enter "adb devices" in your terminal/cmd and confirm adb permission for your watch on your smartphone.
  • boot into bootloader with "adb reboot bootloader"

Now, in fastboot mode enter "fastboot oem unlock" twice to unlock the bootloader. Attention: this will factory reset your Smartwatch 3.
Some users reported, that their devises stuck on boot without the commands "fastboot format cache" and "fastboot format userdata", you should enter this commands before you the reboot, too.
Afterwards reboot your device and set it up again. Enable adb debugging, too.

Flashing TWRP
  • Boot into fastboot mode
  • enter "fastboot flash recovery <NAMEOFTHE.IMG>"
  • Power off the device
(to power off try "fastboot continue", it should boot into charging mode and then unplug the device)

Now, TWRP is installed and you should boot straight into it with holding power button and selecting "Recovery" from the boot menu (see first way to boot into fastboot mode)

If you boot into system without booting twrp once, the system overwrittes twrp with the stock recovery. If this happens to you, then boot into fastboot and boot twrp without flashing it with "fastboot boot <NAMEOFTHE.IMG>". Afterwards boot into bootloader from the recovery's reboot menu and flash twrp again.

Download link: unofficial-twrp-2.8.3.0-tetra.img Updated on 30.12.2014

Now, if you want to root your Smartwatch 3 with Wear 5.0.1, go to http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...ar-5-0-1-xdatv, download the "Wear supersu.zip" and flash it with your newly installed TWRP recovery.
If you want to use "adb sideload" make sure that you have the most recent adb binary on your pc.

Kernel source code: can be downloaded from https://android.googlesource.com/ker...a/sony/brooks/
TWRP device tree: https://github.com/perpe/android_device_sony_tetra

Many thanks to @Dees_Troy for making twrp avaible
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to perpe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift perpe Ad-Free

28th December 2014, 08:31 PM |#2  
Flag Walnut Creek, CA
Thanks Meter: 306

More
Good job, I'll post stock recovery extracted from PC companion image later tonight.
28th December 2014, 08:33 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
I have a copy of the stock recovery, created with dd from the device. I can upload it, if it is needed
29th December 2014, 12:29 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 151

Donate to Me
More
Can someone please upload a twrp image of the stock rom? I want to get rid of my pre release debug version

Sent from my SM-N910G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
29th December 2014, 08:29 AM |#5  
Flag Walnut Creek, CA
Thanks Meter: 306

More
Works great, both using boot or flash recovery and both from boot menu and adb reboot recovery from system.
BTW, thanks for boot menu hint.

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

The only issue it is extremely hard to press on home button and I was not able to press on back button
29th December 2014, 08:55 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
@julz
Please, can you make a backup of your prerelese version with twrp? I will upload a stock 5.0.1 version with all neccessary parts later today.
@XorZone
Nice to read. I was unsure with the overwrite, if people don't boot the twrp once, because there isn't a install-recovery.sh, but it seem that this happens.
29th December 2014, 10:12 AM |#7  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpe

@julz
Please, can you make a backup of your prerelese version with twrp? I will upload a stock 5.0.1 version with all neccessary parts later today.
@XorZone
Nice to read. I was unsure with the overwrite, if people don't boot the twrp once, because there isn't a install-recovery.sh, but it seem that this happens.

Yep will do! Thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Hey @perpe you might want to add the following to your bootloader unlock instructions as I had to go to the old rooting thread to find this out:
4. fastboot format cache
5. fastboot format userdata
6. fastboot getvar all (and verify that it is)
7. fastboot reboot
The Following User Says Thank You to julz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift julz Ad-Free
29th December 2014, 11:34 AM |#8  

Donate to Me
More
Hi all - link to the pre-release version recovery image (tetra-userdebug 4.4W KGW38C 1046 test-keys):
http://1drv.ms/1y100TI
29th December 2014, 01:14 PM |#9  
Flag Baulon
Thanks Meter: 0

More
That's incredible. as explained here but even that does not work. yet all the usb driver days with the sdk. Can not even watch fastboot mode, while in adb way possible.

I do not understand why it does not work.

the model of the watch is LWX48P
29th December 2014, 10:07 PM |#10  
Flag 404 Not Found
Thanks Meter: 60

Donate to Me
More
--- nvm, fixed it.---
30th December 2014, 01:17 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by julz

you might want to add the following to your bootloader unlock instructions as I had to go to the old rooting thread to find this out:
4. fastboot format cache
5. fastboot format userdata
6. fastboot getvar all (and verify that it is)
7. fastboot reboot

This is not needed. Look at http://source.android.com/source/bui...the-bootloader format cache & userdata is only needed on Nexus 10. Our device formats cache and userdata automatically on bootloader unlock. getvar is useless with out telling the people what they have to verify

Many thanks for your dump, but it contains the data partition, too. Please, delete that from your zip package, because data contains your personal setup. It's not a good idea making it public.

I made a flashable zip of the stock LWX48P and will open a thread for it. I had a deeper look into the partitions and I really don't know if it's a good idea to flash the stock ROM on to your test build device. This can brick it.
My zip file contains all necessary partitons from the update KNX01V -> LWX48P, but there are some other partitions that may be necessary for you. These partitions are not included within my zip. There are 10 partition, which are part of the board firmware (recovery.fstab calls them "Needed for radio.img").
The more relevant partition for you should be the s1sbl partition, this is the Sony bootloader. I can't say, if the stock rom works with your device or if it bricks it. Have you tried flashing the stock ROM with the Sony PC Companion? You should try this first. If it doesn't work, I would recommend a binary comparison of the s1sbl partition of your device and an official release version. For this I need a copy of yours, you can make it with dd. If they are the same it should be relative safe to flash the stock ROM, if not then it gets tricky, you may want to flash the stock s1 bootloader before flashing the ROM. I really don't know, what could be the best in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced360

That's incredible. as explained here but even that does not work. yet all the usb driver days with the sdk. Can not even watch fastboot mode, while in adb way possible.

I do not understand why it does not work.

the model of the watch is LWX48P

The problem is with your PC. Make sure there are no background Android Sync applications, like Samsung Kies, HTC Sync Manager..., are running. These applications block adb. Look into the windows device manager, too. If the Sony Smartwatch 3 has a triangle, then it is not recognized with a driver. This can happen if you have several adb drivers installed. Remove them or associate one of them manually from the device managers driver installation. I can't help you here, I'm a Linux user, not Windows.

@all
There was a little error in the recovery, I've fixed it and also removed the SuperSu install question, because it doesn't work right with wear. The recovery is updated and the old one removed, please use this one in the future.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
sony smartwatch 3, swr50, tetra, twrp

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)