FORUMS

P-OLED Burn-in... after 3 days!!!

295 posts
Thanks Meter: 129

By ED2O9, Senior Member on 17th November 2014, 03:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
If you've read much about the Moto 360, you probably know about the ongoing issue of the thin plastic backs cracking near the band. Unfortunately, it's looking your our LG watches may have a major flaw of their own:
I received my G Watch R on Thursday evening, and after trying a few watch faces decided on the Aviator. I really liked the classic look as well as the weather info. So, the watch ran with that face all day Friday and Saturday, set to Screen Always On and a brightness of 3. At night, I set it to Screen Off.

Today (Sunday) I was showing my daughter the watch and changed to a softball face I found on facerepo.com. When dimmed, I noticed a strange mark in the yellow background. Upon closer inspection, I recognized it as the wings and hour marking of the Aviator face. So... after only 3 days (2 and a half, really) the P-OLED screen as developed burn-in. Granted in only is visible on a yellow or orange dimmed screen, but it is there. Which makes me wonder how long it will be before the burn-in is visible on a non-dimmed face?
The reason I bought the W Watch R over the Moto 360 is because I HATED the way the 360 screen shuts off unless it was constantly moving. I wanted to glance at the watch and see the time without flopping my arm around. Now I'm concerned that the feature that sold me on the watch will result in a damaged screen within a few weeks.

Please do me a favor and install Facer and the softball face, and let me know if you see burn-in on the dimmed screen as well. If so, LG might have a major problem on their hands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141116_192951.jpg
Views:	17448
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	3019238   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141116_193957.jpg
Views:	18002
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	3019239  
The Following User Says Thank You to ED2O9 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ED2O9 Ad-Free
17th November 2014, 03:52 AM |#2  
Singapore
Thanks Meter: 153

Donate to Me
More
if not mistaken..this is not the G watch issue..but the OLED issue. all the OLED have such burn in issue. just like what happen to the playstation vita 1st gen who has the OLED screen on it.
17th November 2014, 04:06 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
If an OLED screen is being used on a G watch, it IS a G watch problem. You don't use a screen technology with known burn-in issues (I just read a few minutes ago that P-OLED is supposedly worse than standard OLED) on a smart watch which will display the same icons an characters for days on end. I've had OLED phones in the past with no burn-in issues, so I was not aware of the problem until today. If the burn-in issue gets worse over time (mine is visible after 3 days), LG will have a serious problem on their hands and simply saying "it's an OLED issue" won't make people feel any better especially considering the $300 price tag.
17th November 2014, 05:39 AM |#4  
Singapore
Thanks Meter: 153

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ED2O9

If an OLED screen is being used on a G watch, it IS a G watch problem. You don't use a screen technology with known burn-in issues (I just read a few minutes ago that P-OLED is supposedly worse than standard OLED) on a smart watch which will display the same icons an characters for days on end. I've had OLED phones in the past with no burn-in issues, so I was not aware of the problem until today. If the burn-in issue gets worse over time (mine is visible after 3 days), LG will have a serious problem on their hands and simply saying "it's an OLED issue" won't make people feel any better especially considering the $300 price tag.

what i am trying to say is when there is OLED used...it will will burn in issue. what if you use the bright color screen now and see if after 1-2 days..the shadow will go away (please let us know again)?

so far i havent really use a watch face for long period :P..i change almost everyday. and now i am more worry on the power saving watch face will cause issue to the phone..

this is the OLED happen to ps vita...and now sony has change the 2nd gen vita to use LCD instead of OLED..many new user has complaint that the new LCD screen has lousier screen than 1st gen OLED..especially the colour..
vita burn in issue
17th November 2014, 12:19 PM |#5  
Flag Worthing, UK
Thanks Meter: 1,197

More
well thats worrying. i havent noticed any on mine yet but ive been changing between watch faces almost daily but now ive found one i like and im worried im going to face the same
17th November 2014, 03:57 PM |#6  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 37

More
I've been using the same face for a while now and haven't really notice any burn. Does the facer watchface have a dimmed mode? It might be because it's constantly on full that it burns in.
17th November 2014, 04:40 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
The Aviator isn't a Facer style. It's a purchased face from the Android Market, and it does dim. It doesn't shut off everything but the markers and hands, but it does dim the whole face. Did you try checking for burn-in on the dimmed softball face? It isn't apparent unless you have a solid dimmed background (yellow or orange work best). The default face for an app called WearFaces is orange and shows burn-in as well when the screen dims. Give it a try.
I'm sure it's a result of the screen being always on, even in a dimmed state. I could obviously reduce the burn-in by switching ambient mode off, but it defeats one of the main advantages that the LG watch has over the Moto 360. I had a 360 for a week, and it drove me nuts. It's a nice looking watch, but it always seemed like the screen was off when I wanted it on and it would pop on when I wanted it off. It's primarily a watch, and when you have to keep moving your arm around to check the time, it become a burden rather than a convenience.
17th November 2014, 05:50 PM |#8  
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 1,379

More
This is excellent example of why you should not use light colored watch faces. Burns battery and looks terrible. Remember on OLED, black means "off". A mostly black watchface burns almost no juice.

That softball face looks ridiculous anyway. Stick with Aviator.

Last point. Always on is just dumb. Why do you want your watch face on when you aren't looking at it, to impress chicks? Besides burning battery, an always on face is more difficult to activate the on face and thus Google Now. It activates faster from off to on than from slightly on to on.
The Following User Says Thank You to mitchellvii For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mitchellvii Ad-Free
17th November 2014, 06:00 PM |#9  
Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellvii

This is excellent example of why you should not use light colored watch faces. Burns battery and looks terrible. Remember on OLED, black means "off". A mostly black watchface burns almost no juice.

That softball face looks ridiculous anyway. Stick with Aviator.

Last point. Always on is just dumb. Why do you want your watch face on when you aren't looking at it, to impress chicks?

Your comment isn't even a solution or helpful at all. He's looking for someone to confirm the burn in issue. Honestly I have a hard time seeing it on the picture he submitted, but as someone who's interested in buying the watch I would like to know if this is a problem as well.

What happens if he takes your advice, sticks with a particular watch face for a long time, then decides he wants to change it to something else? If there is burn in, then it's going to be noticeable, no matter what watch face he uses. Your suggestion could be harmful.

Always on is not dumb. I have a Pebble and love the fact that I don't need to do anything crazy to see the time. I just look at it. No gestures, or interaction required. I would want / expect the same from any watch I plan on replacing it with. Otherwise there is a huge lack of convenience there. It's not to "impress chicks". And if you knew anything about "chicks" you'd know that stuff like this doesn't impress them and 95% of them could probably care less about some gadget.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brianhill1980 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift brianhill1980 Ad-Free
17th November 2014, 07:00 PM |#10  
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 684

More
You need to be aware how to handle OLED displays. I learned my lesson in the hard way (with some previous phones) so, I now handle them with care and I have no problems anymore (both my Razr I - 2 years old, and my Watch R - 2 weeks old, are in perfect shape). I intend to buy an OLED TV soon as well .

So, long story short .... if you want long life out of your OLED screen you need to:
A: NEVER use it at max (or high) brightntness more than few seconds with a static image.
B: ALWAYS use more green/red themes because red and green are the most resilient OLED compounds (with the current manufacture technologies).
C: Use very very VERY LOW brightness for the "screen saver" - in our case, always on/dim mode.
D: WHITE has a lot of blue in it ... so, a long time of white theme usage will create burn-in in all colours, especially in the blue colour - the less resistant compound (3 times faster deprecation compared to red, 4-5 times compared to green) so avoid high contrast elements in high brightness mode.
E: Default DIM mode of the Watch G is waaaaay to bright for the purpose of the "dim" mode. A black, transparent layer is needed on top of the dim mode in order to prevent this (with the current firmware at least)

Conclusion: Choose wisely a pre-made face or build your own with the appropriate dim mode brightness.

Attached is my watch face (made for Watch Maker) and the basic colours tests (all photos captured few minutes ago). I tried to capture the appearance of the watch as seen with the naked eye (depending on your monitor calibration, your view might vary).
With this type of face I did not got any burn-ins and I'm using it with always on mode activated (I like the feeling of a real watch so I'll be able to take a glimpse at the watch and tell the time, without shacking it, bring it horizontally or pushing buttons). The brightness for "normal" use is set between 1 and 2 (approximate). I'm using Wear Mini Launcher which has an advanced brightness mode under settings.

For testing I used Stuck Pixel Fixer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02442.jpg
Views:	8170
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	3020251   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02441.jpg
Views:	8378
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	3020252   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02450.JPG
Views:	8140
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	3020253   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02449.JPG
Views:	7870
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	3020254   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02448.JPG
Views:	7008
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	3020255   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02451.JPG
Views:	6806
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	3020256  
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ro_explorer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ro_explorer Ad-Free
17th November 2014, 08:35 PM |#11  
Flag Worthing, UK
Thanks Meter: 1,197

More
@ro_explorer how do you use a tinted watch face only when screen is off but not when on? Using facer app I can apply a tinted black image always and that's it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)