FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

46mm LTE Version = more RAM without using LTE?

148 posts
Thanks Meter: 18

By fabsen, Senior Member on 27th April 2019, 01:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey there,

I'll buy a galaxy watch but I'm still curious about which version to choose. I don't know if I will use LTE but I've read about the doubled RAM (1,5GB instead of 768MB). So the question is: Will I have more free RAM available on the LTE-Version with LTE/carrier disabled? And will the battery life be the same as the BT-only version?

Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to fabsen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fabsen Ad-Free

29th April 2019, 12:55 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,001

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabsen

Hey there,

I'll buy a galaxy watch but I'm still curious about which version to choose. I don't know if I will use LTE but I've read about the doubled RAM (1,5GB instead of 768MB). So the question is: Will I have more free RAM available on the LTE-Version with LTE/carrier disabled? And will the battery life be the same as the BT-only version?

Cheers.

i get around 2.5 days of usage in my LTE version.

what i can do this week is disable lte and see if that helps.
wifi is already turned off.

but what makes me think this wont do anything is that there is already an auto disable function for wifi and lte.
when watch is already connected by bluetooth, then toher connections are supposedly disabled.

im a very light user. aod is off and i dont really exercise that much.

anyways this morning ill be disabling lte and see how much more battery life i get if any.
29th April 2019, 04:32 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bober10113

i get around 2.5 days of usage in my LTE version.

what i can do this week is disable lte and see if that helps.
wifi is already turned off.

but what makes me think this wont do anything is that there is already an auto disable function for wifi and lte.
when watch is already connected by bluetooth, then toher connections are supposedly disabled.

im a very light user. aod is off and i dont really exercise that much.

anyways this morning ill be disabling lte and see how much more battery life i get if any.

Well, the point is there is more hardware built in (LTE modem), so I would assume more battery consumption. No matter whether turned on or not. 2,5 days seems less than expected by me tbh. I have one atm. I started setting it (46mm LTE-version without eSim) up on saturday 21:00 at 100% battery. Now (Monday 17:30) I am at 18% battery. I was playing a bit with some apps, making 2-3 calls and with AOD turned on. So I assume LTE drains a lot more than BT and I won't get more than a day of battery life.
29th April 2019, 05:31 PM |#4  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Well, the point is there is more hardware built in (LTE modem), so I would assume more battery consumption. No matter whether turned on or not. 2,5 days seems less than expected by me tbh. I have one atm. I started setting it (46mm LTE-version without eSim) up on saturday 21:00 at 100% battery. Now (Monday 17:30) I am at 18% battery. I was playing a bit with some apps, making 2-3 calls and with AOD turned on. So I assume LTE drains a lot more than BT and I won't get more than a day of battery life.

take aod off and use the gesture to auto turn on the screen when flicking your wrist upwards.

also dont use any 3rd party themes that have weather indicators. the weather and location tracking kills the battery.
29th April 2019, 07:41 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

take aod off and use the gesture to auto turn on the screen when flicking your wrist upwards.

also dont use any 3rd party themes that have weather indicators. the weather and location tracking kills the battery.

Thanks for the suggestions but tbh it's not my first multimedia/smart device. there is only one thing which is more ugly than a turned off watch: aftermarket navigation systems for the windshield. I don't understand ppl doing/buying one of the two things. I mean... You buy an expensive watch... and the display is off 24/7? Imagine a rolex watch with empty display
29th April 2019, 08:21 PM |#6  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions but tbh it's not my first multimedia/smart device. there is only one thing which is more ugly than a turned off watch: aftermarket navigation systems for the windshield. I don't understand ppl doing/buying one of the two things. I mean... You buy an expensive watch... and the display is off 24/7? Imagine a rolex watch with empty display

i get your point. but these watches are pieces of **** when it comes to battery life and storage space. i was flabbergasted to see that i only had 1.5 gigs usable storage space doe my mp3s.

to overcome these shortcomings i remove all that i can and leave the screen off.

but my comment regarding the weather is still valid since 3rd party watch faces have a documented issue concerning that feature.( weather/location).

stock samsung watchface with temperature dosen't seem to have that issue. only 3rd party. my tests had shown around 18 hours of battery life with minimal usage and no aod on a 3rd party watch face with wearther\temperature on it. so thats a real bug
2nd May 2019, 02:20 PM |#7  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

so from a full charge on monday 8am to now Thursday 8am, im at 23%

ill report back once it dies but i suspect that i can almost do till friday 8 am.

only thing that was done is disable lte. ive removed it each day for 20 mins for shower but have kept it on all the time even while sleeping.
2nd May 2019, 11:45 PM |#8  

Donate to Me
More
so im at 14% and it is now 6h44pm

safe to say it would have probably made it till tomorrow morning 8ham but i need to have it charge for tomorrow.

so it really looks like disabling lte did help out quite alot.
7th May 2019, 12:47 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:

Nope that was your AOD kills aw third or more
7th May 2019, 10:33 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

so im at 14% and it is now 6h44pm

safe to say it would have probably made it till tomorrow morning 8ham but i need to have it charge for tomorrow.

so it really looks like disabling lte did help out quite alot.

Wow, I'm jealous tbh. So yours lasted 4 days (14% left) with sleep tracking? Mine never hit the 4th day. I've disabled aod, wlan and there is no esim set up, so no LTE. My watchface has no information but time and date and I did no sleep tracking. My workouts are 30-60 min a day. What's your secret? There is no esim in mine, do I still have to disable it somehow?

Edit: Also no BT-calls, just ~ 10-15 notifications a day and maybe 20 minutes screen on time
Edit: I also noticed there is "only" 700mb RAM left. So I guess LTE is using ram (is enabled?).
7th May 2019, 06:03 PM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Wow, I'm jealous tbh. So yours lasted 4 days (14% left) with sleep tracking? Mine never hit the 4th day. I've disabled aod, wlan and there is no esim set up, so no LTE. My watchface has no information but time and date and I did no sleep tracking. My workouts are 30-60 min a day. What's your secret? There is no esim in mine, do I still have to disable it somehow?

Edit: Also no BT-calls, just ~ 10-15 notifications a day and maybe 20 minutes screen on time
Edit: I also noticed there is "only" 700mb RAM left. So I guess LTE is using ram (is enabled?).

manualy disable the radio for lte. its the culprit.

i reenabled it even if 90% of the time phone is connected to bluetooth and technically should not be using it, it seems to be a source of battery drain.

on an other note, with lte enable but connected to BT, i have 800mb ram left.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
galaxy, lte, ram, watch

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)