FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Any chance of AW 2.0 being ported to the Gear Live?

301 posts
Thanks Meter: 40

By darnocs1, Senior Member on 11th January 2017, 09:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Since there's no official support for the Gear Live with Android Wear 2.0, will there be any possibility of getting a 2.0 ROM modded for this watch?

12th January 2017, 10:52 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
There is always a possibility, but its unlikely that anyone will port it.
17th January 2017, 05:26 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Samsung Gear Live is still receiving the security updates. Build M1D64T is on mine right now, a December 1 update.

To see it not getting the 2.0 treatment, when Samsung is no longer managing the Gear Live (remember, Google runs the gamut on OS releases for the Wear platform), is a shame. It fits all the specifications that most other Wear devices have that ARE getting updated.
In fact, the one device I can equate the Gear Live to is the Asus ZenWatch 2, which is slated for the February 9 release date.

SD400, 512MB RAM, 4GB storage, 320x320 OLED, 300mAh battery, it is 100% in range of the specifications. Yet that Samsung gave up on it means the death knell, that only emphasizes that Google only supports the relevant. I'm not shocked that the LG G Watch won't be updated, but the G Watch R will be... Is just strange, when specs-wise, it's the same.

Google's very strange about how they manage their platform. I'm hopeful we see some independent work on it. I can give or take the heart rate sensor if it means the device remains on my wrist. Any sacrifices that keep this device as my reliable companion should be worth it.

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk
9th February 2017, 11:32 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
No chance now. Hopefully somebody might make a version from the others.
15th February 2017, 08:33 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by egzoti4en

No chance now. Hopefully somebody might make a version from the others.

Hi has anyone just got Update M1D65E mine just been updated today.
15th February 2017, 08:46 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by petenchris84

Hi has anyone just got Update M1D65E mine just been updated today.

No mine is on M1D64T, but people are reporting receiving February security batch so i'm thinking this will be the last thing we receive.
15th February 2017, 11:11 PM |#7  
I had M1D64T, but updated to a couple of days ago M1D65E. Really hoping we get AW2, however I'll probably end up replacing (or at least becoming main) with a round watch with mic in the near future
17th February 2017, 01:04 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaXtreme

Samsung Gear Live is still receiving the security updates. Build M1D64T is on mine right now, a December 1 update.

What's even more sad is that other watches with the exact same CPU will get their updates, but not our watch. Maybe its possible to re-use firmware from those other watches, and have a custom kernel with LCD, sensors compiled in. Maybe all that is needed is a compiled kernel module with missing drivers.
2nd April 2017, 02:37 AM |#9  
Flag chicago
Thanks Meter: 843

Donate to Me
More
I am fairly experienced with Android source, if someone wants to work on this with me I would love to get this started.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Honestly Annoying For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Honestly Annoying Ad-Free
4th May 2017, 10:31 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
I am not that experienced in Android but I have experience in software developing... Any chance we could get this to work?
The Following User Says Thank You to bjornj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bjornj Ad-Free
27th June 2017, 10:20 AM |#11  
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 192

Donate to Me
More
A developer ported Wear 2.0 to the LG G Watch from the G Watch R and it works flawlessly. It could be possible for the Gear Live to receive the same port: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone3=7681
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)