Holy crap, screen cracked!

Search This thread

jimbohurt

May 13, 2013
No, I don't really expect them to replace it for free, but c'mon, $161.83 to replace it? The thing cost $199 new. They could at least be reasonable with it. They originally quoted $70 for screen replacement over the phone and when they received it and looked at it, decided $161 was the going rate? I asked if they'd be willing to split it, but they were a no-go.

No i hear that, thats really true. Ridiculous how expensive it is to replace it!!

Gr8Danes

Aug 6, 2010
Though, it brings me to wonder what one would go for on ebay with a cracked screen. If I couldn't find somewhere to repair it cheaply, maybe throwing it on ebay and purchasing a new one would be close to what it would cost for a repair. Hmmmmm.

followinginsanity

Feb 12, 2008
Hampton
As someone who fixes broken devices on a regular basis. The screen is the most expensive part hardware wise. An LCD panel, plus a digitizer, are more costly to manufacture than pretty much any other piece.

With this being a Samsung device. The LCD and digitizer are probably adhered to each other. Which makes replacing Just the cracked digitizer more difficult. Either way, it can be done by a 3rd party. Right now the hardest thing will be finding a replacement screen to use.
(I did a quick check on eBay, and returned 0 results for galaxy gear live lcd)

I recommend hanging on to it unless you can get a good price for it. Replacement screens will probably start popping up before the end of the year.

Reactions: Gr8Danes

Gr8Danes

Aug 6, 2010
Threw it on ebay today. I'll let you know what it ends up going for.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jdh10475

Aug 16, 2010
Austin
Man that suuuuucks really makes me think twice about buying one. Also I have a nice Seiko probably $300+ or so and I have beat the hell out of that watch and it still looks good minus some scratches on the glass. Also you really don't see to many watches with cracked glass I wonder what gives.

Gr8Danes

Aug 6, 2010
Just an update on this whole thing, I just sold it on eBay for $122. More cost effective in my opinion than the cost for them to repair it at $161. In the end, cost me approx half that.

I ended up buying another Gear Live due to the limited options currently. I did put a screen protector on the new one and honestly don't even see it on there. Better safe than sorry. Also, no more yard work with it on.

Reactions: James.Spinrow

robber

Nov 12, 2006
Man that suuuuucks really makes me think twice about buying one. Also I have a nice Seiko probably $300+ or so and I have beat the hell out of that watch and it still looks good minus some scratches on the glass. Also you really don't see to many watches with cracked glass I wonder what gives.

Most good watches have a sapphire crystal that are extremely durable, it is not glass.

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

James.Spinrow

Sep 10, 2014
Thank you for posting

Most good watches have a sapphire crystal that are extremely durable, it is not glass.

Thanks for this. Very useful thread. 160 for repair is well out of order. Replacing that front piece of glass must be one of the cheapest repairs they could perform.

Will look more into the Sony.

Ta

makkonen

Jun 26, 2008
Let me just add some flames to the fire here. I took a midday nap wearing my gear live the other day. When I woke up I placed the watch on the bedside table. I picked it up an hour later to see a hairline crack running across the face of it. So either it was broken by: the incredible compressive force of my head, through a pillow, on the watch, on a memory foam mattress pad; or, even worse, by the act of placing it gingerly on a table (as I always do).

After talking to a handful of people at Google and Samsung technical support, I've shipped the phone off to them for evaluation. But the impression I get is that there is no way that they'll cover the physical damage. (Even though, to me, it seems obvious that it's a manufacturing flaw. Granted, I could just be lying about how it happened, but if I was, wouldn't I pick something more egregious, or more believable?)

I made it clear that I found $161 (or $167, as one person quoted me) to be a ridiculous repair cost, as I could buy a whole new watch off eBay for less.

Of course, I would never do that, because this watch is clearly not engineered to a high enough standard to stand up to the rigors of light napping and sitting on counters, and I don't want another one.

Do not buy this watch.

There. I feel slightly better. (But only slightly.)

DO NOT BUY THIS WATCH.

(OK, that one legitimately made me feel better.)

(I'm still livid, though. Come on, Samsung.)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

makkonen

Jun 26, 2008
As expected, after cajoling, pleading, arguing, and doing everything else I possibly could -- I talked to 8 different people in various Customer Service departments -- I got absolutely nowhere with Samsung.

Pretty shameful, really. After owning at least half a dozen of their phones, and 2 smartwatches, they burned all their goodwill on the first time I ever had to contact Customer Service.

Once more, for good measure: DO NOT BUY THIS WATCH. And don't bother talking to Samsung Customer Service. What a bureaucratic horror.

Edit: I posted it up for sale on the Swappa Boneyard, if anyone's interested.

Last edited:

Action B

Jan 6, 2011
Lynchburg VA
Let me just add some flames to the fire here. I took a midday nap wearing my gear live the other day. When I woke up I placed the watch on the bedside table. I picked it up an hour later to see a hairline crack running across the face of it. So either it was broken by: the incredible compressive force of my head, through a pillow, on the watch, on a memory foam mattress pad; or, even worse, by the act of placing it gingerly on a table (as I always do).

After talking to a handful of people at Google and Samsung technical support, I've shipped the phone off to them for evaluation. But the impression I get is that there is no way that they'll cover the physical damage. (Even though, to me, it seems obvious that it's a manufacturing flaw. Granted, I could just be lying about how it happened, but if I was, wouldn't I pick something more egregious, or more believable?)

I made it clear that I found $161 (or $167, as one person quoted me) to be a ridiculous repair cost, as I could buy a whole new watch off eBay for less.

Of course, I would never do that, because this watch is clearly not engineered to a high enough standard to stand up to the rigors of light napping and sitting on counters, and I don't want another one.

Do not buy this watch.

DO NOT BUY THIS WATCH.

I know this is an old thread but if someone pulls this up. I've had this watch for over a year and i have been skateboarding with it frequently. I'm not talking about simply riding on a skateboard, I mean like going down stair sets and handrails etc. This watch has taken a beating . I am thoroughly impressed with its ruggedness. It does have a couple scratches from my falls scraping the road, but really minor. Sorry to rain on the parade, but I love this watch.

Reactions: Therev86

pettepark13

Sep 30, 2015
Getting screen protector can save your watch from scratches. I always get it for my smartphones and watch! It's cheap insurance

Jwalt83

Dec 9, 2015
Bullcrap

I have had this same issue don't know how or when it broke I don't wear it to work looked down at it when it went off and shattered verizon wouldn't replace they said I didn't opt for insurance which I'm quite sure I did and samsung want 270.50 to replace it it's the samsung gear s I have insurance on all my phones everything I have from them so y would I say no on insurance for a watch I wear everyday so verizon said well go back and listen to the conversation then they came back with well well pay 60 something bucks the amount that I would've paid for insurance if I had been paying for it those 6 months or so... no I don't think it should be done free but damn $350 and can buy a new 1

DanielTeplitsky

Oct 10, 2016
issue with gear fit 2

have a cracked screen on my gear fit 2
was out mowing the grass. nothing hit the watch or my hand, or did i bang it into something...

honestly no clue how it broke.
called samsung -they told me to mail it in to evaluate. being told i broke it - and it will cost me to repair it (almost same price as buying new one)
i am not holding my breath thou.
looks like samsung has deiced to care about corporate profits more than anything.... what a shame

have been a loyal customer for years - at this point - i would never buy another samsung product.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

As someone who fixes broken devices on a regular basis. The screen is the most expensive part hardware wise. An LCD panel, plus a digitizer, are more costly to manufacture than pretty much any other piece.

With this being a Samsung device. The LCD and digitizer are probably adhered to each other. Which makes replacing Just the cracked digitizer more difficult. Either way, it can be done by a 3rd party. Right now the hardest thing will be finding a replacement screen to use.
    (I did a quick check on eBay, and returned 0 results for galaxy gear live lcd)

I recommend hanging on to it unless you can get a good price for it. Replacement screens will probably start popping up before the end of the year.
    Just an update on this whole thing, I just sold it on eBay for $122. More cost effective in my opinion than the cost for them to repair it at $161. In the end, cost me approx half that.

I ended up buying another Gear Live due to the limited options currently. I did put a screen protector on the new one and honestly don't even see it on there. Better safe than sorry. Also, no more yard work with it on.

Do not buy this watch.

DO NOT BUY THIS WATCH.

I know this is an old thread but if someone pulls this up. I've had this watch for over a year and i have been skateboarding with it frequently. I'm not talking about simply riding on a skateboard, I mean like going down stair sets and handrails etc. This watch has taken a beating . I am thoroughly impressed with its ruggedness. It does have a couple scratches from my falls scraping the road, but really minor. Sorry to rain on the parade, but I love this watch.