FORUMS

[ROM] OctamodWear - Stock + root + busybox + Reboot2Recovery

10 posts
Thanks Meter: 30

Post Reply Email Thread
CAUTION!! This ROM is mostly made for developers and people interested in developing for Samsung Gear Live. I take no responsabilities for possible damages to your device.

Hi everyone.

I open a new thread here in General because I have not enough posts for posting in Development, and I don't want to spam other threads only for posting there. Moderators can move this if they want.

We have here the first Custom ROM for Samsung Gear Live: OctamodWear

Currently we have very few new features, but this is only the beginning.

Features

- OctamodWear 0.2

- KMV78Y based

- Fully deodexed

- Root

- Busybox

- WearControl, the system management app. Reboot2Recovery is gone; install WearControl from PlayStore to ensure you always have the latest version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rp.wearcontrol

- ES File Explorer and Quick System Info preinstalled

- OctamodWear 0.1

- KMV78X based

- Root

- Busybox

- Reboot2Recovery, it's an app made by me that let you reboot in recovery mode (interesting for use with custom recoveries).

- ES File Explorer and Quick System Info preinstalled (mainly, for developing purposes. I included them because it was a pain to install again with each data-wipe during tests).

Important

- Superuser permissions (root) are enabled by default, without Superuser or similar app. So, whatever app that you install and require root permissions will obtain them. That's due to the fact that there is no Superuser app for Android Wear yet.

- We need unlocked bootloader in order to be able to install the ROM (fastboot oem unlock).

- This system (Android Wear) is still very recent, and there are many things we don't know, despite its similarities with Android.

Work-in-progress...

- Get a better battery consumption.

- Improve performance

- Other things I have not thought about yet

Installation

If you don't have unlocked bootloader, follow this steps:

- Connect using ADB and run "adb reboot bootloader"

- In the bootloader screen, run "fastboot oem unlock". Warning!! This will wipe the device.

- Once you have unlocked the bootloader, the next step is to flash the provided system.img, using "fastboot flash system system_octamodWear.img"

- Done!

Downloads

v0.2: http://devhost.xda-developers.com/cRc -- mirror -- mirror

Stock KMV78Y: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23610159112653225

Interesting

TWRP for our smartwatch (thanks to Dees_Troy): http://forum.xda-developers.com/gear...overy-t2828336

Original thread: http://www.htcmania.com/showthread.php?t=868149

I will try to help you if you need it, but please, there are a lot of pages on the web where you can get information about ADB drivers or bootloader unlocking effects, so please, use Google.

Furthermore, I don't have much free time due to work and personal life, so this ROM will not have a very fast development. My main purpose is to give people something they can start working with, and make a great development community.

Enjoy it!
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to octathorp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift octathorp Ad-Free
5th August 2014, 10:20 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
You sir are a genius!

I borked my phone installing TWRP and flashing this ROM was the only way I fix my watch! Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to finalbillybong For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift finalbillybong Ad-Free
6th August 2014, 01:42 AM |#3  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 2,867

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalbillybong

You sir are a genius!

I borked my phone installing TWRP and flashing this ROM was the only way I fix my watch! Thank you!

How is it and how did you obtain root?

Sent from a Galaxy 5 light years away
6th August 2014, 10:00 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0113

How is it and how did you obtain root?

Sent from a Galaxy 5 light years away

It is pre rooted as stated above. And yes its very good. Includes a file manager, which is handy....

Dev, presumably we should not install any OTA's?
6th August 2014, 04:21 PM |#5  
Right Behind you!!
Thanks Meter: 1

More
This is the best day EVER!! Thank you so very much!!
6th August 2014, 06:37 PM |#6  
Flag New York

Donate to Me
More
Hey @octathorp I just received an update a couple days ago and did it... I assume the update would not be compatible with this ROM, or can I still install this ROM? Thanks!

Update is KMV78Y by the way.
6th August 2014, 06:54 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Madrid

More
Hi.

I have not received the update yet, so i don't really know. It should work well, because this is only system.img, but i'm gonna update the base rom as soon as I receive the update.

One thing i forgot to post some days ago... I've made an app that lets you reboot your device into recovery or bootloader, as well as changing CPU governors. It's Reboot2Recovery replacement, and it will be included in next release. Meanwhile, you can get the app from Play Store, searching "WearControl" (sorry i cannot post links yet).

I'll update the OP.
The Following User Says Thank You to octathorp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift octathorp Ad-Free
6th August 2014, 07:34 PM |#8  
Flag New York

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by octathorp

Hi.

I have not received the update yet, so i don't really know. It should work well, because this is only system.img, but i'm gonna update the base rom as soon as I receive the update.

One thing i forgot to post some days ago... I've made an app that lets you reboot your device into recovery or bootloader, as well as changing CPU governors. It's Reboot2Recovery replacement, and it will be included in next release. Meanwhile, you can get the app from Play Store, searching "WearControl" (sorry i cannot post links yet).

I'll update the OP.

Here you go... WearControl!
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeFCaputo113 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JoeFCaputo113 Ad-Free
7th August 2014, 07:44 AM |#9  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Return to Stock?
What would be the best way to return to stock? My guess would be to flash the system img that Adam Outler posted but want to make sure that I'm correct. I got excited and flashed this without backing up on TWRP first.
7th August 2014, 06:43 PM |#10  
Flag New York

Donate to Me
More
Hey is it possible to put the ROM in flashable form for TWRP?! Would make it much easier to install
7th August 2014, 07:18 PM |#11  
OP Junior Member
Flag Madrid

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdellingson7

What would be the best way to return to stock? My guess would be to flash the system img that Adam Outler posted but want to make sure that I'm correct. I got excited and flashed this without backing up on TWRP first.

I don't have tested it, but should do the trick. I don't have neither a backup from the original system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0113

Hey is it possible to put the ROM in flashable form for TWRP?! Would make it much easier to install

That's a good idea I will try in next days, but only as a concept. If it works well, i will try to launch next update through a flashable update.zip
The Following User Says Thank You to octathorp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift octathorp Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)