FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Activate Gear S WITHOUT a Samsung Phone

66 posts
Thanks Meter: 33

By Cyman, Member on 8th November 2014, 10:00 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Some folks asked about if it's possible to use it as a stand alone device without the need of activating it in the first place with a Samsung device. It is! (I read that easter egg trick somewhere else in XDA for the Gear 2, it works as well for Gear S)

1. Jump to the screen, where it's visible for Samsung Devices in activation process. You'll see the unique name of your Gear S and a small Watch Icon on the left of the name
2. Tap around 25-30 times on the Watch Icon
3. Now a short message appears saying something about bluetooth. Just ignore it, it will vanish after a few seconds
4. Now tap again on the watch icon but this time leave your finger on the screen for around 5 seconds
5. Voilà, your Gear S is now activated, you can't use it as a remote Smartwatch but as a phone watch at least.

Hope, someone figures out how to pair it with Tab S soon since this is my phone
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cyman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cyman Ad-Free

8th November 2014, 10:39 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 118

More
So, i hope it pairs with my LG G2 without much hassle? Remote sharing probably wont work because it is using Samsung account?

What about all other functions, like notifications, call forwarding etc? Is i even possible to reply on your phone and send via Gear S for messages
8th November 2014, 12:55 PM |#3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akram.

So, i hope it pairs with my LG G2 without much hassle? Remote sharing probably wont work because it is using Samsung account?

What about all other functions, like notifications, call forwarding etc? Is i even possible to reply on your phone and send viapGear S for messages

If the Steps above don't work buy the watch in the store and have the store pair/ or you to pair it with the display Model of the Note 4 (A guy in the Gear S thread has an iphone and this worked for him) Everything should work as a regular phone besides downloading apps (that needs to connect to the gear manager) and updates ( needs gear manager) Search the Gear 2 thread (Pair with non-Samsung phone works the same for our watch) Tizen is the OS and it should all work the same
8th November 2014, 12:57 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquebarbee

If the Steps above don't work buy the watch in the store and have the store pair/ or you to pair it with the display Model of the Note 4 (A guy in the Gear S thread has an iphone and this worked for him) Everything should work as a regular phone besides downloading apps (that needs to connect to the gear manager) and updates ( needs gear manager) Search the Gear 2 thread (Pair with non-Samsung phone works the same for our watch) Tizen is the OS and it should all work the same

Got it. I have S4 mini, but it is 4.2.2. I am afraid if the old version will not support.
8th November 2014, 01:04 PM |#5  
Quote:

Got it. I have S4 mini, but it is 4.2.2. I am afraid if the old version will not support.

Can you updat to 4.4.2 somehow? Correct 4.3 or higher
Compatible with Samsung devices with Android™ 4.3, Jelly Bean, or higher, including Samsung Galaxy S® III, Samsung Galaxy S® 4, Samsung Galaxy S® 4 mini, Samsung Galaxy S® 5, Samsung Galaxy S® 5 Sport, Samsung Galaxy Note® II, Samsung Galaxy Note® 3 or Samsung Galaxy Note® 4
• Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
• S Voice™ user interface to enable search and basic device-user communication
• IP67 water- and dust-resistant2
The Following User Says Thank You to Uniquebarbee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Uniquebarbee Ad-Free
8th November 2014, 02:31 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

You should be able to upgrade to 4.4.2. I borrowed the s4 mini to set it up Sunday and its on 4.4.2.
8th November 2014, 04:24 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Just tried this trick out and I'm happy to say it works perfectly. I have my gear s connected to my iPhone right now. You can receive and place calls directly from the watch.
8th November 2014, 04:47 PM |#8  
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangeloparker84

Just tried this trick out and I'm happy to say it works perfectly. I have my gear s connected to my iPhone right now. You can receive and place calls directly from the watch.

that's awesome you hear this ppl it works with non Samsung devices
8th November 2014, 04:47 PM |#9  

More
The Op method worked. Now how do i update and connect with my LG G2? In my phone it just says connecting

I connected Gear S to Kies and it says it already has the latest FW
8th November 2014, 04:50 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
So text messages notifications do not work. That's all I was able to test.
8th November 2014, 04:57 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
i have an htc m8 .. does this mean i won't get text message notifications either??
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)