FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q&A] [DEV] Gear S: Android Port

n/a posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By QA Bot, Guest on 13th August 2015, 10:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Q&A for [DEV] Gear S: Android Port

Some developers prefer that questions remain separate from their main development thread to help keep things organized. Placing your question within this thread will increase its chances of being answered by a member of the community or by the developer.

Before posting, please use the forum search and read through the discussion thread for [DEV] Gear S: Android Port. If you can't find an answer, post it here, being sure to give as much information as possible (firmware version, steps to reproduce, logcat if available) so that you can get help.

Thanks for understanding and for helping to keep XDA neat and tidy!

13th August 2015, 10:39 AM |#2  
Flag Lakewood
Thanks Meter: 65

More
What happens to international version of Gear S?
Oh my god!! Awesome job!! I never expected to run full android on my watch!!
I'm really sorry to say this,,,
But since the CPU is not common, I wonder if I can just flash it on R750K (Exynos ver,1.0 dual core) or not Although your work is unbelievable, and I'm very excited to see running CM12.1 on Gear S !!!
13th August 2015, 11:16 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 7,048

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by minjoon0312

Oh my god!! Awesome job!! I never expected to run full android on my watch!!
I'm really sorry to say this,,,
But since the CPU is not common, I wonder if I can just flash it on R750K (Exynos ver,1.0 dual core) or not Although your work is unbelievable, and I'm very excited to see running CM12.1 on Gear S !!!

Are you sure it's an Exynos? A lot has been said about that, but at this point I don't believe much of anything, and I really doubt Samsung would go with two boards with two processors for the same watch. If you can try some things with sdb (non invasive) we can know it for sure:

sdb shell ls /dev/kg*

If you see something like:
Code:
C:\Users\Biktor>sdb shell ls /dev/kg*
/dev/kgsl-3d0
You have a Qualcomm processor with an Adreno GPU

If you run:
sdb shell ls /dev/ma*
Code:
C:\Users\Biktor>sdb shell ls /dev/ma*
ls: cannot access /dev/ma*: No such file or directory
You don't have a Mali GPU, so you don't have an Exynos processor.

If, instead it returns:
Code:
/dev/mali
Then you may really have an exynos cpu...

Also keep in mind that the Gear S is advertised like a dual core, but at least mine is a Quad Core, with 2 of the cores disabled to reduce battery consumption. A simple kernel can return them to life and double the CPU power
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biktor_gj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift biktor_gj Ad-Free
13th August 2015, 11:18 AM |#4  
Flag Lakewood

More
Okay, I will try and post the results on here!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
13th August 2015, 01:06 PM |#5  
Flag Lakewood

More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by biktor_gj

Are you sure it's an Exynos? A lot has been said about that, but at this point I don't believe much of anything, and I really doubt Samsung would go with two boards with two processors for the same watch. If you can try some things with sdb (non invasive) we can know it for sure:

sdb shell ls /dev/kg*

If you see something like:

Code:
C:\Users\Biktor>sdb shell ls /dev/kg*
/dev/kgsl-3d0
You have a Qualcomm processor with an Adreno GPU

If you run:
sdb shell ls /dev/ma*
Code:
ls: cannot access /dev/ma*: No such file or directory
You don't have a Mali GPU, so you don't have an Exynos processor.

If, instead it returns:
Code:
/dev/mali
Then you may really have an exynos cpu...

Also keep in mind that the Gear S is advertised like a dual core, but at least mine is a Quad Core, with 2 of the cores disabled to reduce battery consumption. A simple kernel can return them to life and double the CPU power

Wow
Well, I did not expected to see this result!
Samsung was lying to us...??
For SM-R750, the spec says that it has 1.0 Dual-Core Exynos CPU.
But, my watch has QUALCOMM CPU Yay
Thank you for nor trusting Samsung(?)
Now, the gear model doesn't matter! (except for Verizon and AT&T maybe? lol)
If the android boots on Gear, that would be the best watch on market right now!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	3230
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	3437730  
13th August 2015, 06:44 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
OMG OMG, please please!
14th August 2015, 04:50 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
I'm sure it's too early to tell. But you think we will still have independent call functionality?

Also wanted to say your awesome for taking this on and I hope you can breath new life into my watch.
14th August 2015, 09:42 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 7,048

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic97

I'm sure it's too early to tell. But you think we will still have independent call functionality?

Also wanted to say your awesome for taking this on and I hope you can breath new life into my watch.

What do you mean with 'independent call functonality'?

If you mean being able to use the sim in the watch, that's exactly why I'm porting full android and not wear, to de-link it from the phone. I might also make a build or two of wear just to prove the point to Samsung, but that's just an idea right now

What we probably won't have is the capability to pick calls from the phone on the watch (using it as an A2DP handsfree), but we can't have everything!

Sent from my Xperia Z using XDA Free mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biktor_gj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift biktor_gj Ad-Free
15th August 2015, 06:08 AM |#9  
Flag Lakewood

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlocked007

Or we could go even further and mod the dual boot patcher to our partitions and dual boot cm12.1 and wear. I think that is actually something I can do lololol.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

Lol there is no more user space then.. world's first dual boot smart watch?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
15th August 2015, 02:12 PM |#10  
@biktor_gj , first thanks for the amazing work you have done so far . I read over at the development thread that you got TWRP working on the gear s and you said that mounting partitions works. Now since the gear s seems to have a similar board to the SIII neo and a 5pin microUSB interface. Do you think it might be possible to get USB-OTG working or have you tried to mount a USB-Stick in TWRP(if the version you use supports it)? Just wondering if that could be possible
15th August 2015, 05:15 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 229

More
Will I be able to use a T-Mobile or even international variant of the watch on sprints network? I really want full android on this beast but I have sprint service and a sprint watch. If so I will sell my sprint variant and get a T-Mobile or international one. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Note 3 using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
auto-qa

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)