FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Tutorial: Install Gear Manager and connect to Non-Samsung Devices

376 posts
Thanks Meter: 118

By Akram., Senior Member on 9th November 2014, 05:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

Today someone told me via Google Plus how to install Gear Manager on non-Samsung mobiles. His name is Serge Berig. So 100% Credits go to him. I am just posting here what he posted in Google Plus. His Phone is Moto X and Mine in LG G2. Worked perfectly fine.

My Test Scenarios:
1. LG G2 D802 Rooted. Rooting is not required as his Moto X is unrooted.
2. I am using a separate SIM on Gear S.
3. I have disabled mobile data and Wifi on both Gear S and my mobile

How it Works:

1. Download Gear Manager Latest Version and GearManagerStub.apk from this link: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/e7h...i/Gear_Manager (Credit goes to the uploader)

2. Download these APK Files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3u...ew?usp=sharing (Credit goes to Serge)

3. Move these files to your phone.

4. 1st install Gear Manager, then GearManagerstb.apk, then all remaining apks.

5. Open Gear Manager on your phone and viola. It connects, Resets your Gear S in case you used it before and as far as i checked everything Works

I did not test each and everything. As far as i know most thing works. Previously i had "Connecting Forever" Issue, now it connects straight away. I am using my Gear S as complete independent to Mobile Calls and SMS from my Mobile. I have not set any forwarding options or notification for Call and SMS from my mobile to Gear S.

Pls post your results

What's not Working:
1. Can't Transfer Music/Images from Phone
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Akram. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Akram. Ad-Free

9th November 2014, 05:47 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I was just coming here to post this.

I can confirm this works on my stock G3.

Works:
  • Calls work, but i had to switch to the phone then back to bluetooth. Initially there was no audio. However that may have been a glitch, because it works after that without flipping back.
  • Notifications (you have to allow Gear Manager access to the notifications in Android System Menu)
  • Home Screen Styler
  • Find My Gear
  • Contacts pull down to Gear

Not Working:
  • Music player seems to be controlled through Gear Manager and not A2DP. So we may have to install Samsung Music player. Still investigating.
  • Transferring files to the Gear through Gear Manager crashes goproviders.apk. This also broke my notifications. Had to reboot the phone to get it back working.
  • Call Logs dont pull down
  • Weather app is missing
  • Receiving SMS in the watch SMS app. You get the notifications just fine, but the GEAR SMS app can't sync your conversations
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crushsuitandtie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift crushsuitandtie Ad-Free
9th November 2014, 05:52 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushsuitandtie

I was just coming here to post this.

I can confirm this works on my G3.

The only small thing is music play seems to be controlled through Gear Manager and not A2DP. So we may have to install Samsung Music player. Still investigating.

Correct. Cant transfer Music/Images from Phone. Hmmm.
Thats fine. No big deal
9th November 2014, 06:38 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
yep..getting goprovider force close when trying to send pic/music

Sent from my LGLS990 using XDA Free mobile app
9th November 2014, 06:48 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabs

yep..getting goprovider force close when trying to send pic/music

I would imagine there is a newer goprovider.apk. The one he posted is 2.0.337.337. Thats the older one from the Gear 1/2 Gear Manager.

All the Samsung Gear S apps are version 2.2 and up. I was experimenting with the old Gear Manager and got similar crashes.
The Following User Says Thank You to crushsuitandtie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift crushsuitandtie Ad-Free
9th November 2014, 06:53 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Just thought I'd chime in and let you know that I have the same version on my Note 4 with the Gear S. 2.0.337
9th November 2014, 07:08 PM |#7  

More
Thanks for checking on that. It's got to be a missing lib or some TouchWiz framework.

It's not even a feature I care about, but i'm sure it will be needed later.

I'm still trying to find a fix for the music player controls.
The Following User Says Thank You to crushsuitandtie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift crushsuitandtie Ad-Free
9th November 2014, 07:15 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Weather app on Gear S is missing
The Following User Says Thank You to Akram. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Akram. Ad-Free
9th November 2014, 07:22 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akram.

Weather app on Gear S is missing

You are right. I wonder what happened to it. When I skipped the activation, the weather app was there... Now that I got Gear manager to sync, it's gone.
9th November 2014, 07:30 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
what about text..I'm having trouble sending text from gear s...says mobile data or not connected to phone

9th November 2014, 07:33 PM |#11  
Flag Zurich
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akram.

Hi,

Today someone told me via Google Plus how to install Gear Manager on non-Samsung mobiles. His name is Serge Berig. So 100% Credits go to him. I am just posting here what he posted in Google Plus. His Phone is Moto X and Mine in LG G2. Worked perfectly fine.

My Test Scenarios:
1. LG G2 D802 Rooted. Rooting is not required as his Moto X is unrooted.
2. I am using a separate SIM on Gear S.
3. I have disabled mobile data and Wifi on both Gear S and my mobile

How it Works:

1. Download Gear Manager Latest Version and GearManagerStub.apk from this link: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/e7h...i/Gear_Manager (Credit goes to the uploader)

2. Download these APK Files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3u...ew?usp=sharing (Credit goes to Serge)

3. Move these files to your phone.

4. 1st install Gear Manager, then GearManagerstb.apk, then all remaining apks.

5. Open Gear Manager on your phone and viola. It connects, Resets your Gear S in case you used it before and as far as i checked everything Works

I did not test each and everything. As far as i know most thing works. Previously i had "Connecting Forever" Issue, now it connects straight away. I am using my Gear S as complete independent to Mobile Calls and SMS from my Mobile. I have not set any forwarding options or notification for Call and SMS from my mobile to Gear S.

Pls post your results

What's not Working:
1. Can't Transfer Music/Images from Phone

Just tried it out with my Tab S 8.4 T705. Installed everything but still in Gear Manager, no Gear S visible. Any help for this?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)