FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Gear S2 Charger Compatibility

1,023 posts
Thanks Meter: 120

By gordonzhao, Senior Member on 10th October 2015, 02:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
First day with the classic, I got home just now and have my spare moto 360 charger sitting on the desk. Put the S2 on there to see if it would charge, it sits just fine and I would imagine that it's lined up but it appears that it charged it for a second and then doesn't continue charging. The 360 charger will remain lit as a device on there is being charged but the watch doesn't accept the charge. Anyone tried it with any other Qi chargers? Don't tell me it's some proprietary crap.

10th October 2015, 05:20 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Havent had much luck with my Gear S2. I have to take the straps off to get it to lay flat on any Qi pad. Official Samsung Qi pad will charge for a second or two before it starts flashing blue and the watch stops charging. The cheap pad I purchased from Amazon doesn't do anything at all when I place my watch on it.
So I took apart my cheap charge pad and took the coil out. If I rest the watch directly on the coil it actually charges but it gets very hot after just a few minutes. Guess we have to wait for Samsung to start selling new docks or for a 3rd party to make one strong enough to power the coil in the S2.
12th October 2015, 08:40 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
It would seem that the S2 does not actually use Qi, or some proprietary variant. For me it's charging neither on the Moto 360 charger nor on various Qi charging pads from Ikea that I have.
13th October 2015, 05:12 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Not my video but this guy says it works with moto 360 charger

https://youtu.be/QbRAlbvXFXI

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk 2
13th October 2015, 09:26 AM |#5  

More
It doesn't, and the video does not prove the opposite. It just shows that someone places a S2 onto the Moto360 charger and that charger and S2 recognize each other. This is what everyone can see, but as said, the S2 is not charged actually.

I would comment on the video if it wouldn't require G+ membership.
13th October 2015, 09:38 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
This one shows a guy using another wireless charger.

https://youtu.be/_i1XMdLBfjA

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk 2
13th October 2015, 12:40 PM |#7  

More
And that guy is as stupid as the other one because in his video you can even SEE that it doesn't charge!

BTW, he's also just as stupid as his Swabian dialect. And yes, I am allowed to say that, because I'm from Germany as well.

Just have a closer look, especially when he places the S2 onto the Samsung charging pad. You see how the charge indicator icon on the S2 appears and disappears right away. Then he swipes down so that you can see the icon again. And now you see that the little flash in the battery icon (which is on when the watch actually charges) is not there. So no charging.

Just because someone is able to upload something to YT does not mean he/she is right. Or smart.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBlue007 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BigBlue007 Ad-Free
13th October 2015, 02:15 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue007

It would seem that the S2 does not actually use Qi, or some proprietary variant. For me it's charging neither on the Moto 360 charger nor on various Qi charging pads from Ikea that I have.

Strange, mine works perfect ...

My watch just fits in the handle (facing 90 degrees) and the straps are touches nothing.
13th October 2015, 05:15 PM |#9  

More
What handle? What charger are you using?
13th October 2015, 07:14 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue007

What handle? What charger are you using?

The standard charger that came with the s2.

Maybe it wasn't explained well. The watch just set nicely on the charger vertically and laying against the charge part of the charger. The strap is not close to anything ... not even close to an issue
13th October 2015, 07:46 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemaster

The standard charger that came with the s2.

Maybe it wasn't explained well. The watch just set nicely on the charger vertically and laying against the charge part of the charger. The strap is not close to anything ... not even close to an issue

They're talking about using the s2 with other qi chargers. There's not a problem getting it to charge on the included charger.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gear s2, qi charging, samsung, smartwatch, wireless charging

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)