FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Gear s2 and iPhone - remarks

68 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By VIVES_Matt, Member on 28th November 2015, 04:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I recently bought a Samsung Gear S2 classic.
It connects to iPhone via bluetooth without any app, so here is my experience:

- Notifications work, (the ones from the notification center), however you cannot act on them, it is just a notification viewer. You can read the message that comes or e-mail or FB message, however you cannot answer them.
- No access to any other apps/watch faces beside the stock ones that are on the watch already
- Wifi network connection is limited to open networks only :/ (secured networks are not visible, why?) however range of the wifi signal sensitivity is awesome (I pick up a printer Wifi signal of my neighbour 3 floors up)
- Battery : At 8h I still have 50% (moderate use, loads of notifications, Wifi off, HR sensor frequent, Brightness 8, Ambient on)
- World clock is totally off, I mean the times are not right. I don't know why.

I read rumours that iOS appstore will get a Gear app by the end of this year, so support is on the way
I am an Apple fan (iphone, ipad, imac, macbook and so on) and I have to say... Gear S2 is going to rock the smartwatch boat a looooot!
The quality you get for the money is just amazing.

Greetings from Belgium!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VIVES_Matt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VIVES_Matt Ad-Free

29th November 2015, 03:00 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hi I have an iphone, and the gear s2 3g pairs to it, but I don't see any notifications coming through (not sure how that would work, because I haven't selected which notifications I would want to send to the watch the way i do on my android phone (Note 4)). Are there any settings you had to change to enable this functionality?

Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to diamondjon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift diamondjon Ad-Free
29th November 2015, 09:33 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Notifications that are in the notification center are working and they get through to the watch.
There is no app yet, I just connected it via bluetooth.

After reset, the secured WiFi networks are discoverable (some of them at least).

Overall, after 1 day of usage, I got 15h of battery. Now I am testing the battery with no HR sensor and Brightness 5.
I will post results soon!
8th December 2015, 01:34 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
I have a samsung phone that my gear s2 is connected to. I also have an iPhone for work. Do you think I could connect both phones at the same time? Lol.... I just got the watch and it is charging, so I can't try it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
21st December 2015, 07:14 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaMom

I have a samsung phone that my gear s2 is connected to. I also have an iPhone for work. Do you think I could connect both phones at the same time? Lol.... I just got the watch and it is charging, so I can't try it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I'm affraid that isn't possible, since gear s2 only connected to ios when they do a reset (never pair and update with galaxy appmanager on android).
23rd December 2015, 09:35 AM |#7  

More
What about the gear app manager for iOS ? Still working on it?
23rd December 2015, 09:49 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llac75

What about the gear app manager for iOS ? Still working on it?

I think gear app manager still on progress, rumours say that will be available on early 2016, can't wait this to happen LoL.
23rd December 2015, 10:09 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
Yes, They are still working on the app. Hopefully it will get out soon.

The latest firmware update renders gear s2 unusable with iPhones.
After the update the gear s2 is not visible in the bluetooth devices on the iPhone ;|
23rd December 2015, 10:28 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVES_Matt

Yes, They are still working on the app. Hopefully it will get out soon.

The latest firmware update renders gear s2 unusable with iPhones.
After the update the gear s2 is not visible in the bluetooth devices on the iPhone ;|

Woow...realy?
Thats a good info for me, i just considering to update my firmware, because i'm experiencing always on mode is not always on, sometimes its totally turn off the display, i think that's because the firmware, but then i do a research on this forum, thats a common problem
23rd December 2015, 10:38 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Just unpacked my amazon-delivered gear s2.
As an iphone 6 owner I'm very happy that it does communicate with the phone,though indeed only readable notifications.
Hope the app arrives soon.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)