It connects to iPhone via bluetooth without any app, so here is my experience:
- Notifications work, (the ones from the notification center), however you cannot act on them, it is just a notification viewer. You can read the message that comes or e-mail or FB message, however you cannot answer them.
- No access to any other apps/watch faces beside the stock ones that are on the watch already
- Wifi network connection is limited to open networks only :/ (secured networks are not visible, why?) however range of the wifi signal sensitivity is awesome (I pick up a printer Wifi signal of my neighbour 3 floors up)
- Battery : At 8h I still have 50% (moderate use, loads of notifications, Wifi off, HR sensor frequent, Brightness 8, Ambient on)
- World clock is totally off, I mean the times are not right. I don't know why.
I read rumours that iOS appstore will get a Gear app by the end of this year, so support is on the way
I am an Apple fan (iphone, ipad, imac, macbook and so on) and I have to say... Gear S2 is going to rock the smartwatch boat a looooot!
The quality you get for the money is just amazing.
Greetings from Belgium!