FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Our Groceries app available - "Your Grocery List" in Gear app store

1,963 posts
Thanks Meter: 492

By Redflea, Senior Member on 12th February 2017, 12:45 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
NEW

The Your Grocery List app is available in the Gear app store! Install it from the Gear app on your phone, enter your email address and PW to sign into your Our Groceries account on the watch, and start shopping! Thank you, Christoff!

Requires an account w/Our Groceries. Does not require the Our Groceries app on your phone, but that is highly recommended (it's simply a great shopping list app - once you/your family start using it you'll wonder how you got by without it).

You can create your Our Groceries account from the Our Groceries app on the phone, or at www.ourgroceries.com.

This is a community developed app, Christoff (developer) contacted Our Groceries and they were supportive of him releasing it.

Currently the app does not have "push" auto-sync w/the Our Groceries server, so use the Refresh button in the app to update before shopping (in case changes have been made to the shopping list from another client). All changes on the watch to your shopping lists are immediately sync'd w/the Our Groceries server. Christoff is investigating auto-sync from the server to the watch.

Old:
Any enterprising developers who also have to go shopping for groceries (100% of you!) - you could look into the Our Groceries app!

It's probably the best shopping list app available on Android (nearly instant sync across multiple devices, extremely flexible list management, super easy to use UI, regular maintenance and updates from developer, etc.

Would be great to have a Tizen client to view current list of items and check off as purchased from the watch.

Willing to provide beer money to help get this started.

UPDATE: Member cm_walkaround has started working on a native app solution for Our Groceries sync. See this post (#6).

UPDATE 2 WOOT! Christoff just announced that he released the app to the Gear store today (Feb 21) in this post (#9). It will take several days to a week for Samsung to review and approve it. They control the final actual release of the app in the Gear watch store, so hopefully they will complete their review promptly.

The app is called Your Grocery List. (Christof did not call it "Our Groceries" to avoid confusion about the source of the app).

Thanks (mine and all other Our Grocery users) for looking into this!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redflea For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Redflea Ad-Free

12th February 2017, 03:25 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
I too have been looking for something, and would really like it to sync with Google Tasks since that is what I'm presently using for my grocery list and use GTasks on my phone.

I tried the My Tasks companion app with sister android app which syncs with Google Tasks, but it's terrible on the S3. The font is way too big, and it shows you all the items in the list even when and after they are checked off so you have to scroll and scroll through the lists. Hopefully the developer will decide to change it.

If not, I'm looking for something that will only show the items on the list that are not checked off so you can maintain a large list of grocery items and uncheck only the items you need before you go to the store so the watch only displays the unchecked items.

Sent from my SM-T800 using XDA-Developers Legacy app
15th February 2017, 05:09 AM |#3  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Our groceries.. Ditto
The Following User Says Thank You to pump142 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pump142 Ad-Free
18th February 2017, 05:44 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
So until something native arrives, this is an option, and it works surprisingly well.

Get Wearable widgets app on your watch, and companion app on your phone and complete setup and choose the widgets you want to see on your phone.

Launch the Wearable Widgets app from your watch, and scroll to the widget you want to see (from the ones you selected on your phone).

Viewing the Our Groceries widget via Wearable Widgets on your watch you can:

- Scroll the groceries list up and down
- Tap items to mark them purchased
- Tap them again to return them to your shopping list

The interaction is very much like the one on the phone, surprisingly good, actually. You can add each of your lists to your phone - just set them up in the Wearable Widgets app and they will show up in the phone.

Some screenshots and a pic below from my watch.

19th February 2017, 11:50 PM |#5  
Flag Nancy, Lorraine
Thanks Meter: 238

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea

So until something native arrives, this is an option, and it works surprisingly well.

You are right, it works well thank you for the tip
20th February 2017, 10:27 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Just started..
Hi folks,
just started to code a client for ourgroceries on the S3 (just asked OurGroceries if its ok for them to use the name in the app.. lets see).
Still need to implement a store for the credentials, but apart from that the minimal version is almost finished. "Features" are:
- show all lists -> select a list (also with bezel-scroll)
- show all items of selected list -> tap to cross off
For now, I am not displaying crossed off items at all (="shopping" use-case). But I plan to extend that asap.
I hope to get this minimal thing working by the end of the week and hope, ourgroceries is positive about my request.

Best
Christof
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cm_walkaround For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cm_walkaround Ad-Free
20th February 2017, 11:52 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm_walkaround

Hi folks,
just started to code a client for ourgroceries on the S3 (just asked OurGroceries if its ok for them to use the name in the app.. lets see).
Still need to implement a store for the credentials, but apart from that the minimal version is almost finished. "Features" are:
For now, I am not displaying crossed off items at all (="shopping" use-case). But I plan to extend that asap.
I hope to get this minimal thing working by the end of the week and hope, ourgroceries is positive about my request.

Best
Christof

OH MY GOODNESS!

Thanks very much for working on this - will be very appreciated!!

Can you also support swipe to change lists (I find that swiping left/right is often easier than using the bezel, depending on what I'm doing).

The Our Groceries folks are nice, my interactions w/them have been very positive. If you haven't seen it, here's what they are saying about device support in their current FAQ...Gear doesn't even register. I expect (hope) that they would be happy for you to extend their ecosystem.

https://www.ourgroceries.com/faq#unsupported_devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Groceries

Will you support Microsoft Windows Phones, Apple Watch, Google Home, Google Now, Siri, or IFTTT?

While we do not currently support Windows Phone devices, we are watching the market share numbers. When the mobile platform becomes popular enough, we will likely create an OurGroceries app for it.

We are evaluating whether our users find OurGroceries useful on Android Wear devices. Depending on what we find, we’ll decide whether to support the Apple Watch.

We are actively investigating Google Home integration.

Google Now and Siri do not currently provide a way for us to integrate with them.

IFTTT charges $3000 per year for integration, and we do not currently think that we would make that back in additional revenue.

21st February 2017, 09:58 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Hi folks,

Best
Christof

Great News and thanks!
21st February 2017, 10:26 PM |#9  

More
Submitted
Hi folks,

the developer gave me a positive feedback and I finished & submitted the app to the store.
I also noted in the app-description, that I am a private developer and not in any way related to the OurGroceries-service.
It should take some days for the review process, but I hope it goes through.
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll upgrade the app from time to time (I do this in my free-time which is needed for other things for now).
Would be happy if you leave feedback here or in the app store.

Best
Christof
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cm_walkaround For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cm_walkaround Ad-Free
21st February 2017, 10:41 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Hi folks,

the developer gave me a positive feedback and I finished & submitted the app to the store.
I also noted, that I am a private developer and not in any way related to the OurGroceries-service.
It should take some days for the review process, but I hope it goes through.
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll upgrade the app from time to time (I do this in my free-time which is needed for other things for now).
Would be happy if you leave feedback here or in the app store.

Best
Christof

Wow, Christoff, you didn't even give us time to start pestering you for a release date! This has to be the fastest move from announce to 1.0 release I can remember seeing. Thanks very much for submitting to the store, I'll be hitting "Refresh" on the Gear app store every hour or so for the next few days.

Will definitely provide feedback once it's available. Thanks for providing this - closes a key gap in the watch's capabilities.
21st February 2017, 10:47 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea

Wow, Christoff, you didn't even give us time to start pestering you for a release date! ....

Thanks Redflea - I hope the quality is acceptable (I also really needed this app.. ).
Testing time was quite short, so maybe its more a 0.1-release.. however, everything seems to work.

See u!
Christof

p.s. the name of the app is "Your grocery list" (I wanted to prevent misunderstandings that this app could be made by the service-providers), but noted "OurGroceries" in the description, so I hope its find-able.
The Following User Says Thank You to cm_walkaround For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cm_walkaround Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)