FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

My Moto 360 official metal band replacement review

697 posts
Thanks Meter: 375

By Cst79, Senior Member on 16th December 2014, 11:11 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I originally purchased my Moto 360 with the "stone leather" band. Color is the ugliest from all the leather bands, but it was the only one available at the time with a silver watch (which was a must for me). All was fine and dandy, until the band begun to smell awful. I did wear my watch while doing weight training four times a week, but I suppose that's why it has a heart rate monitor, right ? I tried to get off the smell using a stain remover called "Vanish" which "eliminates 99% of bacteria". It did eliminate the original bad smell but another chemical smell took its place and stayed there. I finally destroyed the color of my leather band using sodium bicarbonate in one last try to eliminate the smell.

I didn't want to use 3rd party metal bands because I was afraid I would end up with a cracked watch back, and also due to the watch lugs design, they don't look good attached to the watch because they form a steep angle while exiting the watch, leading to a "hockey puck" look.

Finally the official metal bands became available via Amazon (the only ones shipping to a package forwarding addres - I live inside EU). I purchased the band for more money than I would like to spend but it was a must. I also purchased a cheap set of tools to help me replace it. I replaced the band in about 2 hours, being very careful not to scratch anything, and I succeeded to keep the watch intact. However, from this experience I advise you that this is not a simple operation and it's better to go to a jeweler. This is because the pins are hidden inside the watch and the original band takes up all the space and the pins are not visible and are hardly reachable. Also, the link pins are very hard to get out from the band in order to adjust, even with specialized tools. I really hope Motorola changes the band attachment and adjustment style on the Moto 360 v2, an easier procedure is sorely needed. Maybe they could take some hints from the Apple Watch

The band feels a lot better on hand compared to the leather band (strangely). The leather band was constantly reminding me that it's there, like I had some kind of allergy to it, I had to adjust it all the time, plus the bad smell. The metal band heats up to body temperature and you really don't feel it, despite being heavier. However, in my opinion, the metal band is about 1-2mm wider than ideal. Its actually 23mm instead of the standard 22mm. It's out of balance compared to the watch diameter and overall size. Another disadvantage of the metal band is that at the watch entry point the band looks unnatural, unfinished. The wide links end about 3mm before the rest of the band enters the watch, creating this "unfinished" effect. I think they could have done a better design. But this is a minor problem, overall the watch looks a lot better with the metal band. I do think it would look very good with the new cognac leather band, but I have to wear it while training so I can't use any more leather bands. Maybe a silicone band would come handy.

About the cracked back issue, the official metal band has 2 plastic pieces that are designed in such a way that the metal band never touches the watch back. Even the plastic pieces don't put strain on the back, it's very well designed in this regard.

A picture of the watch is attached to this post. Thanks for reading
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141217_004834.jpg
Views:	5258
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	3067789  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cst79 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cst79 Ad-Free

17th December 2014, 04:32 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 456

More
Thank you for your input and the picture.
17th December 2014, 02:49 PM |#3  
Flag OH
Thanks Meter: 119

Donate to Me
More
i have yet to see the real shape of them plastic spacers... if u ever take band off, i would like to see the actual close up pic of those plastic things
17th December 2014, 07:49 PM |#4  
San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaco81

i have yet to see the real shape of them plastic spacers... if u ever take band off, i would like to see the actual close up pic of those plastic things

I posted some photos in the Accessories section about a week ago:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=19
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vansmack For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vansmack Ad-Free
18th December 2014, 05:19 PM |#5  
Well got mine today from the US, ... Cousin was coming to India
Tomorrow I will apply it.
There is a video on YouTube where it seemed it was fairly simple to change it.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1418923096855.jpg
Views:	1564
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	3070714  
19th December 2014, 03:56 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Good Review .. Thanks man
20th December 2014, 10:41 AM |#7  
Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1419071982523.jpg
Views:	2160
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	3073074   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1419071992795.jpg
Views:	2204
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	3073076   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1419072008230.jpg
Views:	2216
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	3073077   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1419072018540.jpg
Views:	2198
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	3073080   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1419072043711.jpg
Views:	2186
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	3073081   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1419072056016.jpg
Views:	2178
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	3073082  
The Following User Says Thank You to pakure For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pakure Ad-Free
22nd December 2014, 08:43 PM |#8  
nyc
Thanks Meter: 46

More
I prefer the look of the pebble steel band for some reason.
22nd December 2014, 09:49 PM |#9  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 91

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by macropterous

I prefer the look of the pebble steel band for some reason.

I did at first also.
But after checking it out at BB, I wasn't impressed.

I'm now leaning to the Moto band, or this Mesh one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PVQ...110_SY165_QL70
23rd December 2014, 06:57 PM |#10  
Flag San Diego, CA
Thanks Meter: 114

More
I guess no one has paired the steel watch with the black steel official band? What do you think:

Sent from TabPRO 8.4
24th December 2014, 12:13 AM |#11  
Flag Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Thanks Meter: 116

More
It's an interesting look, but I'd still go with the silver one, on the silver Moto 360. I just wish the bands were a bit cheaper. 79.99 is kind of a lot.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)