W806 (K18, K8 Round) ROM v1.0.3 (06/02/2016)

Search This thread

pablo11

Jun 23, 2007
Down Under
Yep, press and hold bottom button and then power on with middle button should get you into recovery. This is not the case after the very last OTA.
Top button held and press middle button will get you into fastboot as MatthiasX says.
I'll play around with it and let you know how it goes.

Reactions: MatthiasX

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Same problem on my watch. I thought, that I am to stupid to press a button.
My watch just simple makes a normal boot.

Fastboot (Upper button) works.

You can get to it that way too. If you could log your steps and post it that would be great. If that seems to be working better then I'll update the install guide with it.

It's really odd the little quirks each one has (K18 vs K8 Round). Kind of like how the D5 and Mini have these tiny little things that are ever so slightly different in how things are handled. Plus I am trying to account for every possible setup a user may have so may have missed/forgot something on the install method.

Last edited:

MatthiasX

Jul 4, 2010
I am not able to boot into recovery.

I am able to boot into Fastboot by pressing the Upper and Middle button until the device turns on and then holding the Upper button.

But Fastboot is without any use for me / use? because everything is in Chinese.

Edit: I tried to use ADB in fastboot-mode without any success. It seems that I can run a Shell, but I am not able to reboot into recovery from fastboot-mode. But still, I am not a developer :)

Edit
I have found this translation:
工厂模式(Gōng chǎng mó shì)=factory model
完整测试(Wán zhěng cè shì)=complete testing
单项测试(Dān xiàng cè shì)=single testing
测试报告(Cè shì bào gào)=test report
清除e MMC(Qīng chú e MMC)=Clear/Remove/reset e MMC
版本信息(Bǎn běn xìn xī)=Version Information
重启手机(Chóng qǐ shǒu jī)= restarting the phone

Source: http://droidchina.com/forum/Thread-ROM-THL-W100-factory-mode-in-Chinese-language

You can get to it that way too. If you could log your steps and post it that would be great. If that seems to be working better then I'll update the install guide with it.

It's really odd the little quirks each one has (K18 vs K8 Round). Kind of like how the D5 and Mini have these tiny little things that are ever so slightly different in how things are handled. Plus I am trying to account for every possible setup a user may have so may have missed/forgot something on the install method.

Last edited:
Reactions: maitrot

pablo11

Jun 23, 2007
Down Under

Yes, it can be annoying sometimes :)
The steps you have in the OP are the same as I described and should take you to recovery.
In fact it always did until the last OTA (for the K8 - I don't have the K18 and so I can't comment).
I am reasonably certain that a combination of the original UBOOT and the custom recovery will work and I will test it soon. I'm fairly sure it has been tested by @cyrux75 but not 100 % sure.

pablo11

Jun 23, 2007
Down Under
Ok, I'll be running through it in the next couple of hours.
@MatthiasX ADB doesn't work this way. Fastboot has its own set of commands.
Best to stay away from it - you could do some damage.
I'll nail this soon. Just need a little time.
Cheers.

rockabilly

Mar 1, 2005
TIP Wenn mit chinesische Schriftzeichen klarkommen muss nehme ich mein Smartphone und die App Google Übersetzer. Die Kamera draufhalten und die Übersetzung lesen ?.

pablo11

Jun 23, 2007
Down Under
Ok, I'll be running through it in the next couple of hours.
@MatthiasX ADB doesn't work this way. Fastboot has its own set of commands.
Best to stay away from it - you could do some damage.
I'll nail this soon. Just need a little time.
Cheers.

@Lokifish Marz flashing the attached files using SP tools fixes the problem.

Other members - please let Lokifish update his OP before you try this.

Cheers

Reactions: Lokifish Marz

MatthiasX

Jul 4, 2010
Thanks for the effort.

@Lokifish Marz:
With Pablos scatter-file you have to select uboot.bin manually.
Maybe you want add this to your Instructions to make it more noob friendly :)

@Lokifish Marz flashing the attached files using SP tools fixes the problem.

Other members - please let Lokifish update his OP before you try this.

Cheers

A own section for the K8/K18/D5 on xda would be nice.

Jenne2112

Feb 1, 2016
Problem after update

Hi,
after the update my watch stucks at the static Boot picture of the globe. I had waited for 30 minutes, but nothing happened. II can still enter TWRP, and i also can restore the backup again (in 23 seconds), but still the same. The update had worked without faults.

Any ideas ?

cosmospho

Jan 2, 2016
Hi All,

Managed to install the new rom, all was ok following instructions. I noticed watch is slower and less responsive with new ROM. Was the cpu freq or something tweaked in that sense for battery saving ?

New watch faces are cool, thanks I am off to bed, tomorrow I will explore and test some more.

One new issue I found is back, the Wifi turns off when watch goes to sleep(screen off) irrespective of options chosen in Power Savings and also in Wifi settings, so back to as it was when released with this problem. The OTA did fix this issue, so any chance of working on this, having no wifi is really a problem.

Cosmos

Last edited:

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Hi All,

Managed to install the new rom, all was ok following instructions. I noticed watch is slower and less responsive with new ROM. Was the cpu freq or something tweaked in that sense for battery saving ?

New watch faces are cool, thanks I am off to bed, tomorrow I will explore and test some more.

One new issue I found is back, the Wifi turns off when watch goes to sleep(screen off) irrespective of options chosen in Power Savings and also in Wifi settings, so back to as it was when released with this problem. The OTA did fix this issue, so any chance of working on this, having no wifi is really a problem.

Cosmos

It tries to keep it at the lowest freq possible, the load has to exceed 98% before it will kick up. I can try dropping it a little but it was to increase battery life. It also may need some settling time

I'll look into it. I may have set the sleep state to aggressive.

Reactions: johnny208

pablo11

Jun 23, 2007
Down Under
Was going to mention that the network gets cut when screen goes off. You beat me to it :)
It's something that the manufacturer just introduced as an option to keep it on. The option is in power saving options.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Hi,
after the update my watch stucks at the static Boot picture of the globe. I had waited for 30 minutes, but nothing happened. II can still enter TWRP, and i also can restore the backup again (in 23 seconds), but still the same. The update had worked without faults.

Any ideas ?

Try wipe all partitions except internal SD card.
You need to keep your backup there.
Then restore the system partition from the OP.
As I said, you should have this on your sd card already.

MatthiasX

Jul 4, 2010
Perhaps a Interactive Gouverneur could help. Usually it acts on a touch event.
I am curious, if it acts on the Display-On-Event by moving your watch.

Same problem here with screen off = wifi off.

I am so happy, that we get a costume ROM :fingers-crossed:
I have looked for years to find a good smartwatch, but they are only a companion (Android Wear), proprietary (Tizen)
or with crappy Chinese firmware and no support.

I know it's much afford to work with a Mediatek Chipset. Still, the hardware is amazing.
The Display of the Huawei Watch, the Design of the LG R and a GSM-Modul.

Imaging what could be possible, if xda-developers where allowed to work with the hardware with all sources and make direct suggestions to improve the hardware (IP-Certification, battery, etc.)

It tries to keep it at the lowest freq possible, the load has to exceed 98% before it will kick up. I can try dropping it a little but it was to increase battery life. It also may need some settling time

I'll look into it. I may have set the sleep state to aggressive.

Last edited:

Jenne2112

Feb 1, 2016
Nope, doesn't change a thing. How long is the normal first boot time after the update?

I had also switched back the whole system with the backup from the other Thread and tried it again, no success. :confused:

pablo11

Jun 23, 2007
Down Under
That's not good. Have a read through the K8 round thread. I think someone else had this issue but can't remember how it was resolved.

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Perhaps a Interactive Gouverneur could help. Usually it acts on a touch event.
I am curious, if it acts on the Display-On-Event by moving your watch.

Same problem here with screen off = wifi off.

I am so happy, that we get a costume ROM :fingers-crossed:
I have looked for years to find a good smartwatch, but they are only a companion (Android Wear), proprietary (Tizen)
or with crappy Chinese firmware and no support.

I know it's much afford to work with a Mediatek Chipset. Still, the hardware is amazing.
The Display of the Huawei Watch, the Design of the LG R and a GSM-Modul.

Interactive would be great, if the was full source code so we could compile a new kernel. As it stands there's the basic four- "Performance", "Powersave", "Userspace" and "Hotplug".

To All
Consider the Wifi issue being looked at, so no more input is needed on that until the next release.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *ENHANCEMENTS*
    Full proper root (still requires remount to edit root level files for added security)
    init.d support
    Internal Storage Cache tweaks
    Governor tweaks
    sysctl tweaks
    Network tweaks
    Dalvik tweaks
    Memory usage tweaks
    Ram tuning
    Improved battery life
    Busybox 1.24.1
    Custom watchface support
    Custom embedded faces (WIP, only one has been changed so far)

*REMOVED*
    AdupsFota
    AdupsFotaReboot
    BasicDreams
    Calender
    DocumentsUI
    FlappyBird
    HTMLViewer
    MTKLogger.apk
    PrintSpooler

*ADDED*
    SuperSU
    AOSP Calendar
    AOSP Email
    AOSP Exchange support
    Heads-Up Notifications

*Issues*
    ?? You tell me ???

NOT Issues
    Lag and stutter on boot and for the first couple minutes after install. Because there is no source to build from, every core change has to be done by scripting. So that lag is network fixes, memory tweaks and other fixes being implemented.

Firmware Oddities
    Weather on watchface vs the app/widget- The data on a watchface updates periodically while the app/widget requires you manually update it.

*Improvements and Changes pending*
    Real "OK Google" everywhere support (/system space is the main limiting factor)
    Further security checks
    Theme fixing
    DeODEXed build for themers (DeODEXed should not be a daily driver for average users)
    ROM OTA service
    Fixing the retina burning brightness level

*INSTRUCTIONS*
    (How I write my instructions- If it's not listed, don't do it. If I don't mention it, it not worth thinking about. In short- Turn off brain, follow the steps.)

First time installers:

1. Extract the "K8 Round v1.0.3.zip" to your desktop
    2. Download and extract the "K8 TWRP Recovery Files.zip" at the bottom of this post to the SP Tool's firmware folder
    3. Turn the K8 on (doesn't matter if it's stock, stock with OTA, or rooted)
    4. Connect the K8 to the computer
    5. Turn on USB Storage on the K8 (check notifications if you don't get a popup)
    6. Copy the folder from the "K8 Round v1.0.3.zip" to the K8 (you should see one folder, "TWRP")
    7. Open SP Tool
    8. Select the "K8_Round_Android_scatter" scatter
    9. Hit the "Download" button
    10. Turn off the K8 without disconnecting it from the computer
    11. (SP Tool will flash TWRP)
    12. Disconnect the K8 from the computer
    13. Press and hold the lower button
    14. Power on the K8
    15. Keep pressing the lower button til TWRP boots
    16. Wipe
    17. "Restore" the backup
    18. Reboot

Updating from previous release:

1. Extract the "K8 Round v1.0.3.zip" to your desktop
    2. Turn the K8 on (doesn't matter if it's stock, stock with OTA, or rooted)
    3. Connect the K8 to the computer
    4. Turn on USB Storage on the K8 (check notifications if you don't get a popup)
    5. Copy the folder from the "K8 Round v1.0.3.zip" to the K8 (you should see one folder, "TWRP")
    6. Disconnect the K8 from the computer
    7. Power off the K8
    8. Press and hold the lower button
    9. Power on the K8
    10. Keep pressing the lower button til TWRP boots
    11. Wipe
    12. "Restore" the backup
    13. Reboot

Credits:
    @cyrux75 (TWRP build)
    @pogodancer (edited scatter for TWRP only install)
    @pablo11 (community and thread help)
    You (for donations to help get this on the roll)
    Change log

Change Log
    v1.0.0
    Initial Release

v1.0.1
    Fixes
    Fixed data issue
    Fixed Weather app issue (adware and malware hosts list blocked the server)
    Removed Open Mic+

Changes
    Adjusted CPU Governor to step up at 90% load vs the previous 98% (battery life impact is to be expected)
    Added Heads-Up Notifications
    Additional network and memory tweaks
    Added "Wear" boot animation for the lulz
    Updated Busybox to 1.24.1

v1.0.2
    Fixes
    Fixed the poor battery life due to 90% load clock up

Changes
    Adjusted CPU Governor to step up at 95% load vs the previous 90%
    Adjusted CPU Governor power save bias from 150 to 250
    Minor tuning busybox install

v1.0.3
    Fixes
    Rebuilt for stock to eliminate possible flashing issues. (flashed multiple times before uploading)

Changes
    None
    @lokifish You changed the governor to step up the clock from 98% to 90% cpu load.. do you really expect the battery to drain that much faster? Usually, I noticed that when my cpu load hit 90%, it also hit 100% in 99% of the cases.. (any cpu, mobile, desktop, arm or x86).
    Also what cpu clock rates do you get? Any others than that which are available by the kernel by default?

Other, unrelated question: I was using amplify and greenify to enhance battery life. Do you recommend such tools, ore are they contraindicated?

The clock rate up load is only part of the equation. HotPlug has a number of things beyond this (like clocking the cores separately) but here's a general idea.

The 6572M clock speeds are limited to 598MHz to 1GHz with only a couple steps in between. More often than not it never uses anything between 598MHz (both cores, only one core if your lucky) and 1GHz (both cores). That's where my aggressive version of HotPlug comes in. It forces one core off when the display is off as well as makes sure it really needs that 1GHz. Then as soon as the load drops a little bit, forces the clock rates down.

It's generally a good idea to use only one battery saving method/app. Just make sure it kills wakelocks in addition to forcing a sync schedule. Google, and most social media apps, think we need push [read "constant syncs"] for everything. Location Services alone wakes the device every minute or two to scan and lock location, even if no apps are even installed that are even requesting the data.

To All
    This week has been rough. Both of the ladies are having a rough week so it's taking hours to do things that normally take 10mins. So please don't ask for ETA's because I can either ignore such requests and do it right, or push out rushed untested releases. That being said, I'm not happy with v1.0.1 battery life and will be releasing v1.0.2 as soon as I can properly test it.

For the D5/Mini folks, seeing the K8 is the only one of the two without the data issue, I need to get the K8 right before I can pull/port the changes for a D5 release. I also don't expect an official fix to show up. I'll be honest, this is just the tip of the iceberg of things I'm trying to get done.
    Status Update

Why certain aspects of development progress are slow
    Many aspects of the UI and watchface engine are scattered across multiple apks. To track down say the config for an embedded watch face, or notification config, it requires decompiling apks then searching through all the code to find one line of code. If that line of code is just a reference for another apk, then yet more apks have to be decompiled and searched.

Example, the default watch face and the engine is not only tied into the launcher apk but deskclock and other apks. So instead of watchfaces themselves being handled by a single apk like you would normally see, it's a line here and a line there scattered across multiple apps. As you can imagine this has a serious impact on development time. This would also explain why the launcher has such high resource usage.

I am working on things but progress towards a perfect system is slow. So if I seem short tempered regarding off topic posts, or "it's broke" posts with little to no information, hopefully you can understand why.
    Same problem on my watch. I thought, that I am to stupid to press a button.
    My watch just simple makes a normal boot.

Fastboot (Upper button) works.