FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Smart watch 2 killing phone battery

857 posts
Thanks Meter: 57

By hpsauce37, Senior Member on 14th July 2014, 08:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I am using my smart watch 2 with a HTC one mini 2. I have noticed that my phone battery has really reduced since doing so and that also I am finding the phone often lags and I get launcher refresh.

The watch has the latest firmware on it and just a few basic apps being used along with watchiffy for notifications.

Anyone else getting anything like this.

It's almost at a point where I can't use the watch anymore as I can't get through the day without charging my phone.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

15th July 2014, 03:50 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsauce37

I am using my smart watch 2 with a HTC one mini 2. I have noticed that my phone battery has really reduced since doing so and that also I am finding the phone often lags and I get launcher refresh.

The watch has the latest firmware on it and just a few basic apps being used along with watchiffy for notifications.

Anyone else getting anything like this.

It's almost at a point where I can't use the watch anymore as I can't get through the day without charging my phone.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Heres how it works! The more you use your watch the less your phone's battery will last! Reason?? There are 2. First is the allways on bluetooth but the most important is that the watch doest have an internal memory ( at least not big) so the watch uses your phone to process the apps. So every time you use your watch, you use your phone ( cause watch goes get info)!
As far as the lag and launcher comming down.... Its just probably because your phone as too many apps or isnt just powerfull enough to handle so many things! My nexus 4 running Android L works fine with smartwatch (2Gb RAM) but i do complain a bit for my battery as well
15th July 2014, 08:41 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Battery drain on the phone!
For me this is the main Achilles heel of the watch. I have a Nexus 5 which by todays standards has reasonable battery life, however, paired with the SW2, it will not last a day.

Now my understanding is that the main culprit is the Bluetooth used on the SW2 is causing the main drain. This makes sense to me, as surely the processing required by the phone is minimal and it's the screen that consumes much of the battery.... and that every other BT device I've connected has similar consequences.

The big advantage of the LG G Watch whilst I used it, was that whilst the watch only just lasted a day, the impact on the phone was the opposite. Instead of having to look at the phone for every alert, I looked at the watch. The result was that the phone battery consumption improved.

From what I have read, this is more to do with the battery 'sipping' BlueTooth 4.
15th July 2014, 07:23 PM |#4  
Flag Santo Domingo
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavares_one

Heres how it works! The more you use your watch the less your phone's battery will last! Reason?? There are 2. First is the allways on bluetooth but the most important is that the watch doest have an internal memory ( at least not big) so the watch uses your phone to process the apps. So every time you use your watch, you use your phone ( cause watch goes get info)!
As far as the lag and launcher comming down.... Its just probably because your phone as too many apps or isnt just powerfull enough to handle so many things! My nexus 4 running Android L works fine with smartwatch (2Gb RAM) but i do complain a bit for my battery as well

I couln't get the SW2 working with my Nexus 4 with Android L Dev preview (SmartConnect crashes everytime I try to pair the watch). Can you share your setup?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)