FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Do you like Aandroid Wear 2.0?

YES

13 Vote(s)
27.08%
NO

35 Vote(s)
72.92%

[GUIDE] How to revert back to Android Wear 1.5

697 posts
Thanks Meter: 524

Post Reply Email Thread
22nd August 2017, 07:21 AM |#31  
Flag Mexico City
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Ota update notification
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterjunky

I have spent many many hours trying to hunt google for a sure way to block/disable any firmware
updates and those persistent OTA notifications for the Android Wear 2.0 Zenwatch 3 update after
I installed / downgraded to the good old Android Wear 1.5 firmware.

Finally I have found a sure way to do it!

Please note: this procedure will work on any android wear watch.

You will need to either boot into TWRP or install TWRP
in your watch before you can do any of this.
Don't forget to MOUNT SYSTEM in TWRP before you
use the ADB commands below.

Be sure to enable adb debugging at developer options
in your watch before doing any of this.

Here it is, it's easy IF you know how to use ADB.
To disable OTA updates and OTA notifications do this:

adb shell
cd /cache/
echo "" > update.zip
chattr +i update.zip

Reboot the watch.

Here is the download link for the 1 byte update.zip file (don't try to unzip it):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qvmjqz9w5...update.zip?dl=

copy or push this 1 byte update.zip into the /cache folder in the
root of your watch BEFORE using the ADB commands above.

Once you have finished doing this successfully you will no longer
get notifications or ota updates. ROOT IS NOT REQUIRED.

If you decide you want notifications and updates at a future time
then do this:

adb shell
cd /cache/
chattr -i update.zip
rm update.zip

Reboot the watch

PLEASE NOTE:

Everything in the above information assumes that you
have already downgraded to Android Wear 1.5 and
your watch is currently working properly.

The above information will NOT downgrade your firmware,
it will only disable ota updates and ota notifications.

Good luck, have a great day!

I'm doing something wrong
This is what I get:

C:\adb>adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
~ # [6n cd /cache/
/cache # [6n echo "" > update.zip
/cache # [6n chattr +i update.zip

Or from your other post:

C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\ADB_Fastboot_Windows>adb shell
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
~ # cd /cache/
cd /cache/
/cache # chattr -i update.zip
chattr -i update.zip
/cache # rm update.zip
rm update.zip

NO LUCK!

Can you give me an idea of what is going on?

Thanks for share.

1st September 2017, 08:36 PM |#32  
Flag Denver, Colorado
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Shortcomings of AW 2.0
Quote:

The only way I found to block updates and notifications for updates
is to ROOT the watch.

I rooted my watch 3 days ago after really trying to like this AW 2.0
but after all was said and done I just could not see any reason to
keep the new AW 2.0.

The only two things which we good and nice in AW 2.0 was the
really good looking and smooth/fast scrolling of the app drawer
and the nicer notifications which AW 2.0 has.

But everything else in AW 2.0 is really crappy way too crappy for me. . .

I did the revert to 1.5, then let it go to 2.0 again because I thought I was rooted and the OTA wouldn't stick but it did. One thing worked that wasn't before - InstaWeather watch faces.
But it seems like on 2.0, the watch is frequently losing its bluetooth connection to phone. I don't remember that happening on 1.5.
Also it seems wasteful/redundant that left swipes and right swipes both take you to watchface change screen.
Many things seem to take extra steps to complete, compared to 1.5.
So I am going to revert again, and root, and try to stay on 1.5!
The Following User Says Thank You to cushcalc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cushcalc Ad-Free
1st September 2017, 10:13 PM |#33  
Flag Denver, Colorado

More
custom ROM for ZenWatch 2? or 3?
<redacted>
4th September 2017, 01:29 AM |#34  
Flag Denver, Colorado

More
Quote:

I have spent many many hours trying to hunt google for a sure way to block/disable any firmware
updates and those persistent OTA notifications for the Android Wear 2.0 Zenwatch 3 update after
I installed / downgraded to the good old Android Wear 1.5 firmware.

Finally I have found a sure way to do it!

Please note: this procedure will work on any android wear watch.

You will need to either boot into TWRP or install TWRP
in your watch before you can do any of this.
Don't forget to MOUNT SYSTEM in TWRP before you
use the ADB commands below.

Be sure to enable adb debugging at developer options
in your watch before doing any of this.

Here it is, it's easy IF you know how to use ADB.
To disable OTA updates and OTA notifications do this:

adb shell
cd /cache/
echo "" > update.zip
chattr +i update.zip

Reboot the watch.

Here is the download link for the 1 byte update.zip file (don't try to unzip it):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qvmjqz9w5...update.zip?dl=

copy or push this 1 byte update.zip into the /cache folder in the
root of your watch BEFORE using the ADB commands above.

Once you have finished doing this successfully you will no longer
get notifications or ota updates. ROOT IS NOT REQUIRED.

If you decide you want notifications and updates at a future time
then do this:

adb shell
cd /cache/
chattr -i update.zip
rm update.zip

Reboot the watch

PLEASE NOTE:

Everything in the above information assumes that you
have already downgraded to Android Wear 1.5 and
your watch is currently working properly.

The above information will NOT downgrade your firmware,
it will only disable ota updates and ota notifications.

Good luck, have a great day!

Didn't work for me.
But perhaps Will work if add command "su" after getting into shell, before executing other commands. (?) I say this after the other method recommended, using PM disable, wouldn't work until executing "su" after getting into shell (as recommended by @GTDarthYoda)
12th September 2017, 09:52 AM |#35  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Android 1.5 downgrade
Hello, i am hating this android 2.0 update for zenwatch 3 and want to downgrade badly ... Many have posted the procedure nicely in this forum but as i have not done anything like this before i am scared to do it as a small mistake can make my watch non working... So can anyone please post a video of the procedure in detail so amateurs like me can do it with confidance... Thanks in advance

update: thanks to this thread i have successfully downgraded to 1.5 and my watch is back to being great...yhank u guys. but facing few issues.. hope u guys can guide me
1. i see a red sign on zenwatch manager in watch.. on clicking it tells me to download zenwatch manager 3.0 . but it ia allready installed on my phone.. tried resyncing apps from android wear app but same problem.
2. cant find gmaps anywhere on watch though its installed on phone. voice commands to navigate say something went wrong.
( using nexus 6p running android 8.0)
22nd September 2017, 07:16 PM |#36  
Thanks Meter: 360

More
in the instructions for disabling updates, the first two commands need to be:

adb shell
su

then disable the packages. doesn't seem to work without the "su"
30th September 2017, 11:19 AM |#37  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxysDargle

in the instructions for disabling updates, the first two commands need to be:

adb shell
su

then disable the packages. doesn't seem to work without the "su"

Please, someone, just post the entire procedure.

All these commands, "su", "mu", "flu"... Are so confusing
The Following User Says Thank You to avchd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift avchd Ad-Free
27th October 2017, 01:57 AM |#38  
Forum Moderator
Flag Tulare
Thanks Meter: 1,050

More
Would definitely advise you read up on how to run ADB before you attempt ANYTHING with ADB. You easily brick anything you're sending commands to.
16th November 2017, 06:18 PM |#39  
Flag Tooele
Thanks Meter: 0

More
may have bricked it
I have had issues with my zenwatch 3 being crazy slow on android wear 2.0, and i read some possible solutions..

I also have an issue where whenever i turn my watch on it says "device software cannot be checked for corruption" and it makes it take an additional 10-15 seconds to boot up. This has been on the watch since i got it (i bought used and the bootloader was already unlocked, if thats why its doing that. When going through forums I also saw mention for disabling dm verity and wondered if that would get rid of that annoying screen.

I wanted to see if i could remove the zenfit stuff, cause i saw that some users claimed speed improvements, so i flashed twrp, and when i booted in i accidentally said to allow modifications (even though now i see that people say not too). I didnt make any changes while in here, but thought that might be important to state. In the instructions to remove zenfit i again saw to disable dm verity, so i moved onto that.

I then connected through adb and ran the command fastboot oem disable_dm_verity, but that didnt seem to do anything. I then ran the command "adb reboot "dm-verity enforcing" which i dont think was a good one to run, and i wonder if caused my issue. When i tried to boot back into twrp it would boot to a dead android.

I decided at this point that instead of screwing things up further, i would just flash to AW 1.5 and hope for speed improvement there. I downloaded the files, and through fastboot flashed the stock 1.5 boot, system, and recovery. using this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/zen...-boot-t3535589

i rebooted the device and it went to the android wear screen and loaded for a while, and then to the upgrading android screen. when it got to step 7 it went back to the aw loading animation and then attempted to boot up and gave an error "unfortunately process android.process.acore has stopped" and started all over again trying to upgrade android and then getting to this point and failing. I then downloaded the images for stock 2.0 and flashed and got the same exact error.

I then tried to flash twrp again, and now if i try to flash 1.5 or 2.0 it just goes to a dead android screen. I can boot into twrp still with the boot adb command

I want to try flashing 1.5 or 2.0 through trwp, but my watch will not mount/connect at mtp to my PC while at twrp for some reason...

Any ideas or solutions? how can i flash everything straight back to default. Including whatever i may have done to the dm verity?

Please help
16th November 2017, 08:35 PM |#40  
Thanks Meter: 125

More
I got tired of AW 2.0 losing sync and asking to connect the watch again time after time.

So, I down graded to 1.5 which worked fine but could not stop the OTA updates. I tried the 'chattr' setting to +i. That didn't work. Tried setting the permission using pm but pm was not found.

As a last step, I installed the custom ROM based on MWG68 odexed. After the start up, I used the build prop editor of Root Essential to change the build name from MWG68 to MWR68_hold.

That seems to work. When I try to force the system update, it tries but does not complete.

So for me, this is a good solution to have a rooted custom ver1.5 based ROM with few extra helpful apps.
The Following User Says Thank You to csrow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift csrow Ad-Free
17th November 2017, 08:24 AM |#41  
Flag Bakersfield, California
Thanks Meter: 6,701

Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up re: downgrade to v1.5 Android Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrow

I got tired of AW 2.0 losing sync and asking to connect the watch again time after time.

So, I down graded to 1.5 which worked fine but could not stop the OTA updates. I tried the 'chattr' setting to +i. That didn't work. Tried setting the permission using pm but pm was not found.

As a last step, I installed the custom ROM based on MWG68 odexed. After the start up, I used the build prop editor of Root Essential to change the build name from MWG68 to MWR68_hold.

That seems to work. When I try to force the system update, it tries but does not complete.

So for me, this is a good solution to have a rooted custom ver1.5 based ROM with few extra helpful apps.

I think I will do the same thing and downgrade to v1.5 too.

But I don't want to do it unless I am absolutly sure that by editing the build-prop the watch will no longer
notify me about the the 2.0 ota update AND that the watch will NOT download the update.zip file into
the watch's /cache folder without me even knowing it that the file is being downloaded.

If the watch still downloads the file without my permission it wastes over 50% of the free user space
in the watch....... So please check your free user space in internal sdcard using the AIDA64 app from
the play store. If I use the Android Wear 1.5 the watch automatically sends/downloads the 2.0 OTA file
a few hours or even the next day without me notifiying me at all.

After the 2.0 ota is done downloading into my watch it does NOT automatically install the ota but it sends
a notification telling me that it's ready to install.

So how long has it been since you edited the build-prop file? was in more than a couple days hopefully?
Also have you checked your free user memory using the AIDA64 app which gives you all the watch's
information including used and free space in its internal sdcard?

Thanks, please let me know.

Have a great day!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)