FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

WearOS getting more aggressive about updates

997 posts
Thanks Meter: 315

By jshamlet, Senior Member on 4th October 2018, 09:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I did not care for the 2.0 update, so I have kept my ZW3 on MWE76 (I need to update to MWF76 at some point). I have a VPN based firewall that blocked the app on my phone and turned off WiFi on the watch, and that has worked to keep Google from updating the watch for ages.

Until recently, that is. I started noticing the battery plummeting during the day and when I checked usage, it was the Bluetooth radio. Sure enough, after a couple of days of this, it announced an update was ready. I checked the firewall, and it was still blocked, so... Worse, it had downloaded the update over LTE. I factory reset the watch to clear the update, but this repeated a few days later. I would come home with the watch at 25% for a couple of days and it would do the same thing. Again, it was downloading it over the LTE connection.

I finally disabled WearOS from using background data, and so far that has stopped it from using my cellular data to download. I just flip the toggle from bluetooth to WiFi when I get home. However, it's incredibly annoying that there isn't a way to say "No, I don't want to update". I know most of the time we want updates, but this is absurd. Worse, because I did a factory reset it used nearly 700MB of cellular data in the process. I didn't go over, but that is a pretty large, unexpected, hit. I'm close to rooting the thing just to put an end to it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)